Thread jacking

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
this term gets tossed around alot and i feel some that use it dont understand the definition.

Threadjacking (or threadjack) is often used in forums to describe the action of a user posting a response in an attempt to change the subject or intention of the original thread.
Origin?

threadjack v. thread-jack (n. and v.), threadjacker [ < thread and hijack. Twuz I, the original Threadjacker A.K.A. SoCal_Dan- who coined this phrase on www.boatertalk.com] To move a thread away from the original topic by bringing up another, which may or may not have any relation or bearing to the original. Example: "The thread was about apples, and you begin talking about oranges. Soon everyone else begins talking about oranges. You threadjacked this."

What Wikipedia says about Threadjacking

Threadjacking is typically done by either:

1. newbies who don't understand what they've just done
2. Internet trolls who intentionally post unrelated or inflammatory posts to steer the topic away from its original intent.

What Wiktionary says about Threadjacking

Threadjacking is taking over a thread with a subject unrelated to the original posting.

Example An example of Threadjacking would be someone posting a message to a mail list related to an online music service that someone turns into a discussion about music devices (such as iPODs) without starting a new thread. As such, the original posting under the subject of "Online Music Subscription Services" is now a discussion about iPODs, Dell Jukeboxes, and Zen devices. These new postings under the original thread are completely unrelated to the intended subject.

What the Urban Dictionary says about Threadjacking

To take over the content of a message thread by changing the subject of discourse to a topic outside the purview of the original subject and/orforum, while maintaining the subject line. A form of amusement for trolls. Threadjacking is distinguished from flaming, as flames are a quasi-personal attack on a poster or on a poster's style of discourse, where threadjacking is deliberatly steering the discussion offtopic.

Drive-by Threadjacking

I haven't seen this in the FAQ but it is something that gets on my nerves: Threadjacking.

Threadjacking is when someone posts a question/request for help etc, and then someone comes along and posts in the SAME thread: "I have a similar problem (only different), Help me with MINE!"

This bugs the hell outta me.

If your problem is the same as the Original Poster, then simply watch the thread and see if anyone posts a response.
If your problem is different than the Original Poster, post your OWN thread and ask for help.

I'm not exactly sure why it bugs me, just that it does, and I have been seeing it a bit more here recently, usually by new members who don't know any better.

I call these Drive-by Threadjackings, because most likely, they searched on google for their problem (which is a GOOD start), found their keywords in a post here, and posted a reply.

It is my opinion that threadjacking disrupts the continuity of a thread, and therefore I propose that threadjacking be addressed as a "no-no, BAD DOG, No Biscuit!" in the FAQ.

Commercial Threadjacking

The original poster may be asking about the benefits of Product A or even extolling the virtues of Product A and then another member replies and talks about Product B.

This may be of benefit to the readers of the discussion if the original poster was searching for alternatives. However if Responding Member has affiliate links to Product B he or she may make a commission by hijacking the thread.

This sort of tactic is frowned upon in a lot of forums.

Seemingly Random Threadjacking

Some discussions can naturally veer off-topic. And others can completely jump the rails. It is the latter that is a concern to experienced forum users.

The usual offenders are those that deliberately use the post to plug and promote their site. They may be desperate for traffic for either: a) the sake of traffic, b) the hope of potential sales of their product, service or affiliate links, c) clicks or page impressions on the PPC or CPM advertising program they use for getting advertising revenue.

Depending on the forum rules they may be cautioned (usually for the first or second offense) or banned (if they are repeated offenders, which is also known as forum spamming).

which by what these definitions state is that thread gets changed to irrelevant information.

if it is information still related to topic it is not a "Thread jack"

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I love that term. Thread jacking lol

Anyway, I have a problem with my Droid and random rebooting. Anybody have an idea where I can find some good info on what may be the problem. Maybe it's a ROM issue? I just flashed ThReAdJaCk v1.1 yesterday and this started to happen.

Any help would be appreciated

I love this site : )

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My D1 threadjacks all by itself. What task killer should I use. I want to root how do you do that?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
WOW ......I think we have enough examples.

OP
jasonppp

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I love that term. Thread jacking lol

Anyway, I have a problem with my Droid and random rebooting. Anybody have an idea where I can find some good info on what may be the problem. Maybe it's a ROM issue? I just flashed ThReAdJaCk v1.1 yesterday and this started to happen.

Any help would be appreciated

I love this site : )

roflmmfao to fricken funny

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Please help!!!!!!!

Nice. Thread.

But since we're here, i was wondering what the heck is up with my phone becuse i did somtihn g to it that i don remember i think i booted into booteloader or recovery and now it just hangs on the moon and thjen i sdf'd it and then i flahsed my but and now it just wont do a ny thing so then i tried a purple haze theme and that fixed it byut then it start6ed acing up agin and so i decided to totaly wipe it on my but and flahs the sdcard and then nothing happpend why dosnt it wurk anymore ithgouth i did every thing rite and follow the guide and now im stuck wit a phone that just sits here and goes . . . . .

DROID!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Omfg lol at Teddy and ck :rofl3: :rofl3: going to bed happy and laughing now :rofl3:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
cant anyone help???!?!?!?!?!

yes...you have to reformat the SD card and delete Dalvik cache.

where did you get the theme?

i dug the them up in jim my's grave and then i took some purple microdot oh its the purlple haze them e and i know i did it rite because ican spel so gud and i followed the guide and my phone now just sits here and smokes off'n the hooka why doent it at least caqll me and tell me when its my turn and then my gps is off but hey tanks cerl and cakes i think i got it now

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
cant anyone help???!?!?!?!?!

yes...you have to reformat the SD card and delete Dalvik cache.

where did you get the theme?

i dug the them up in jim my's grave and then i took some purple microdot oh its the purlple haze them e and i know i did it rite because ican spel so gud and i followed the guide and my phone now just sits here and smokes off'n the hooka why doent it at least caqll me and tell me when its my turn and then my gps is off but hey tanks cerl and cakes i think i got it now

right I understand but the Hookah shouldn't interfere with the flashing of the theme's gps coordinates five or six. I've experienced this myself about 3 years ago when I was on a Cruise, Tom Cruise is one of my favorite actors but thats another story. Nandroid then flash, turn off gps, microdots and purple haze before flashing the kernel. Do NOT I repeat DO NOT have the Hookah next to the devce while it boots because bootloops will follow.

Simple guide to Falsh 10.1 reveals and Motorolas website is aware of microdots. I hope this helps.

Whats your favorite color and ice cream? I'm just curious.