Think i got a lemon, but not giving up hope.

Buhba

Reaction score
It kinda works but it kinda doesn't. Here is a little background info so i can get your opinions. First off thanks for a fantastic website...i have learned so much. I truly appreciate it.

So first of, i have rooted and am using the 928 BlackGlass. There was a guide on how to do the quick z4? root with the computer software..just one click root. And then installed Droid X bootstrap all that jazz. I followed this guide here.

928 BlackGlass

All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X) - Android Forums

So obviously i deodexed as well, and everything was dandy. Well here are the issues im having.

1. I know this is a known issue that a patch is supposed to fix...not sure if it has been released or if we are still waiting, but the text messages being out of order when you receive new ones. Super super annoying, but i can deal with it.

2. I always have one bar of reception no matter where i go. I have never failed to make a call or dropped a call, never experienced breaking up or anything like that, but texts seem to fail often and i cant stand the look of one red bar all the time. Kinda messed up.

3. Phone seems to lag quite a bit. When i click contacts and go to scroll down, its lags and glitches and freezes sometimes. For more than 4 or 5 seconds. Also pretty annoying..seeing as how i have a 1ghz processor...my 5 year old windows mobile phone didn't lag scrolling through photo's.

4. Also a known issue, but the music player being horrible...didn't really look into getting a replacement app yet, haven't really had time to sit down and so some good research since i got it. Music player will refuse to play based on file format, even thought i have played that song a million times. Song will pause in the middle of it and just not play. Or will not go to the next song when the now playing one is over. Gay.

5. Despite having Advance Task Killer (not always running, i only kill everything right before i put phone back in my pocket...) The phone is just slow. And 80% of the apps i kill come back in 4 seconds anyways...the ****. Even when im just trying to unlock it...the slide to unlock is slow and so is connect the dots.

6. Internet Browser - (trying both Dolphin HD and Browser) MY issue is only in FB, but i'll click a photo, page with load and it wont go anywhere. I'll click a notification for a status lets say, but it doesn't bring me to the status. It just brings me home. Decent FB app?

7. Voice command app painfully slow to open....5-8 seconds until i can speak.

8. When trying to move widgets from screen to screen, its extremely difficult. Sometimes takes 20 tries. I think the screen is messed up a little bit too because typing is not as accurate as it was the first day i got it.

9. SD card. Phone is constantly lagging when trying to view photo's and videos and music. SD card is constantly failing and saying it is corrupted.

10. Text message inbox. It will just show numbers and not their actual contact names. Contact Photo thumbnails take forever to load.

So what do you guys think? Go and try to get a replacement..i really do not want any other phone. Should i un root and go back to the stock rom? Or maybe try a different rom and see if it works any better?

Thanks....

Nickdancedroid

edit: is there a 'clear temp. files' app?

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
It kinda works but it kinda doesn't. Here is a little background info so i can get your opinions. First off thanks for a fantastic website...i have learned so much. I truly appreciate it.

So first of, i have rooted and am using the 928 BlackGlass. There was a guide on how to do the quick z4? root with the computer software..just one click root. And then installed Droid X bootstrap all that jazz. I followed this guide here.

928 BlackGlass

All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X) - Android Forums

So obviously i deodexed as well, and everything was dandy. Well here are the issues im having.

1. I know this is a known issue that a patch is supposed to fix...not sure if it has been released or if we are still waiting, but the text messages being out of order when you receive new ones. Super super annoying, but i can deal with it.
This has been addressed with the newest OTS update that has been rolling out for the last 3 days or so...version 2.3.340. I would imagine you didnt receive this if you were rooted and deodexed, but I am not 100% positive.

2. I always have one bar of reception no matter where i go. I have never failed to make a call or dropped a call, never experienced breaking up or anything like that, but texts seem to fail often and i cant stand the look of one red bar all the time. Kinda messed up.
This is an old issue, but it will never go away...for all phones really. The "signal bars" are not 100% accurate, and are only a graphical representation of signal strength. In order to see exactly what your reception is, you need to go into the phones settings and have a look at the dB measurements. Settings--->About Phone--->Status--->Signal Strength.

3. Phone seems to lag quite a bit. When i click contacts and go to scroll down, its lags and glitches and freezes sometimes. For more than 4 or 5 seconds. Also pretty annoying..seeing as how i have a 1ghz processor...my 5 year old windows mobile phone didn't lag scrolling through photo's.
This can/could be caused by a number of different things..a bad app, a bad phone, or any number of other issues. A known "fix" for some lag issues is to do a battery pull...and if that fails, do a full Factory reset. You will lose all data on the device as it restores back to "out of the box" condition, but it may help, YMMV.

4. Also a known issue, but the music player being horrible...didn't really look into getting a replacement app yet, haven't really had time to sit down and so some good research since i got it. Music player will refuse to play based on file format, even thought i have played that song a million times. Song will pause in the middle of it and just not play. Or will not go to the next song when the now playing one is over. Gay.
This too has been addressed in the newest OTA update, and from seeing post on different Droid based forums, it has been corrected. Again, YMMV, but getting the newest version may be of a benefit to you.

5. Despite having Advance Task Killer (not always running, i only kill everything right before i put phone back in my pocket...) The phone is just slow. And 80% of the apps i kill come back in 4 seconds anyways...the ****. Even when im just trying to unlock it...the slide to unlock is slow and so is connect the dots.
This alone may account for 50% or more of the "troubles" you are having with your device. A task killer app is not necesary, and even to a great extent does more harm than good. Even Google says they are not needed...watch the video from them. And here is more info on the subject...Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

6. Internet Browser - (trying both Dolphin HD and Browser) MY issue is only in FB, but i'll click a photo, page with load and it wont go anywhere. I'll click a notification for a status lets say, but it doesn't bring me to the status. It just brings me home. Decent FB app?
No answer for the Web apps...I personally use Dolphin HD and it screams for me. As far as FB goes, I would suggest using the FB app for Android in the market...its not the greatest, but it does work.

7. Voice command app painfully slow to open....5-8 seconds until i can speak.
Again, no answer for this other than "thats normal" for the Voice Command app.

8. When trying to move widgets from screen to screen, its extremely difficult. Sometimes takes 20 tries. I think the screen is messed up a little bit too because typing is not as accurate as it was the first day i got it.
Is this a lag issue or a screen defect? Only way to pinpoint it IMO, would be to reset the phone. Start from stock and see if you still have this issue..if you do, then it is likely a hardware issue and Verizon needs to replace it.

9. SD card. Phone is constantly lagging when trying to view photo's and videos and music. SD card is constantly failing and saying it is corrupted.
Ummmm....swap SD cards. Pull the SD card out of the phone, load it onto your desktop/laptop and pull all the data off it, then format it through the comp. Re-install in phone and reformat through the phone and see if that helps.

10. Text message inbox. It will just show numbers and not their actual contact names. Contact Photo thumbnails take forever to load.
Best I can give you here is dump the stock messaging app and go with either Touchdown or HandcentSMS. The new OTA update addressed some glitches in the Text Messaging, but I never experienced those issues, so I cant help there.

So what do you guys think? Go and try to get a replacement..i really do not want any other phone. Should i un root and go back to the stock rom? Or maybe try a different rom and see if it works any better?

Thanks....

Nickdancedroid
edit: is there a 'clear temp. files' app?

My answers to your individual problems are in red in your post...
To answer your last question...yes, there are apps to clear "temp files", or what we have on the phone, the Cache. I personally use Cache Cleaner from the market, it requires root though. Hope some of this helps you out...:)

OP
B

Buhba

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice man i really appreciate it. I'm gonna try a battery pull and factory reset after that and see what happens. Any way i can store contacts/photo's on my pc>

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Contacts are backed up with Google unless you turned that off in privacy settings. If your pictures aren't already on your SD card then you'll have to send them to yourself, but if they're on your SD card (which sounds like it needs to be formatted anyway) you can copy them over.