Music file issues

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Okay. So i have a lil problem with my music files that is really annoying me. For instance, when I go to the music app, I click on the "songs" tab. It then will display my songs....I have like 1500. Well one of the very first titles is "unknown" and I click it and there are like 200 songs in the unknown folder. Basically that annoys me because they don't show up where all my other songs do even though in the "unknown" they all have an artist name and song title. I can stink get to these songs but I have to go into the "unknown" folder and I would like to get them where my other songs are. If anybody has had this issue and can help me please let me know.
Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Its simple really. The "unknown" music files you have, are not properly "tagged"...meaning the ID3 tags are not filled in appropriately. Pull those "unknown" files back off the SD card onto your PC, and then rum them through a good MP3 tagging program such as TagScanner or Tag&Rename. Then, once all files have been properly tagged, port them back to your phone...

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
I would do what you just mentioned except that when my sd card is mounted to my cpu there is not an " unknown" folder. The " unknown"folder folder never appears for some reason only when I try to look at my music through my music app . So any other advice

imchance

Reaction score
Tag the files that are on your computer and delete the ones on the card. Then re-transfer the files that are properly tagged.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
so i downloaded tag scanner. I loaded up all my music files and now im stuck, i have no clue what to do in order to re-tag all these files at one time. any help?

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
still having problems with the tagging program. I thought i tagged them all but apparently i didnt. I put transfered all the songs from my phone to the cpu. then i opened up the tagscanner. then opened the folder with all my music. i then selected all of the files ( about 1500) of them and hit preview at the bottom right of the tagscanner program. it processed them and then a list came up of all the songs and some of them had "OK" next to them. some of them said "no tag". So i then hit save and put them on my phone. I still have like 230 songs in "unknown" when i open up my music app. I tired to change the ones that said NO TAG but i couldnt do anything to them.... so somebody please help

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So im still having issues ..can anybody help me

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Not to put too blunt of an end on it, but what is the problem you are having? Tagging MP3`s are about as simple an operation as you can get if the files at least have a filename.

1) Open the folder where your music is stored on the PC you are wanting to transfer to the phone.

2) Open TagScanner...you should see 4 tabs along the top: Renamer, Editor, Processor, List Maker...select the Tag Editor...and wait...

3) Inside the folder that has the untagged tunes, click "Ctrl + A" to select all the files, then "drag" those files and "drop" them in the TagScanner window..or you can do single files as well.

4) Once TagScanner has loaded all the files, or the single file, click on 1 and you should see the files information, or lack of rather, in the Main tag editor box to the right of the main window. Inside there is where you can manually edit the information as needed. Do so as you see fit...

5) Once you have edited all the files you want, click down at the bottom of the TagScanner program on the Save button. You should see the "processing" meter move until completion, and after that, your files should be tagged accordingly and display properly when you transfer back to your phone...

TagScanner is for someone with limited know-how in MP3 tagging...you might be better off using the other program I mentioned, Tag&Rename...there is an option to look up the tags for albums using CDDB...but its not real good for single tracks..

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Not to put too blunt of an end on it, but what is the problem you are having? Tagging MP3`s are about as simple an operation as you can get if the files at least have a filename.

1) Open the folder where your music is stored on the PC you are wanting to transfer to the phone.

2) Open TagScanner...you should see 4 tabs along the top: Renamer, Editor, Processor, List Maker...select the Tag Editor...and wait...

3) Inside the folder that has the untagged tunes, click "Ctrl + A" to select all the files, then "drag" those files and "drop" them in the TagScanner window..or you can do single files as well.

4) Once TagScanner has loaded all the files, or the single file, click on 1 and you should see the files information, or lack of rather, in the Main tag editor box to the right of the main window. Inside there is where you can manually edit the information as needed. Do so as you see fit...

5) Once you have edited all the files you want, click down at the bottom of the TagScanner program on the Save button. You should see the "processing" meter move until completion, and after that, your files should be tagged accordingly and display properly when you transfer back to your phone...

TagScanner is for someone with limited know-how in MP3 tagging...you might be better off using the other program I mentioned, Tag&Rename...there is an option to look up the tags for albums using CDDB...but its not real good for single tracks..

thanks for your help..... and your not being blunt..... i am just having trouble. My problem is that i "thought" i ran them through the tag editor. I did see the processing thing at the bottom that you were talking about. However, after it was all done there was some files that said no tag and some other songs said something else but i cant remember what it was. So i put all the songs back on my phone and the same files still were under a "unknown' folder in music app.

I thought that tag scanner used the internet and automatically changed the tags. Also i could click in a subject field after the songs were all done "processing" so i guess now i need to just open up the folder with my music, and manually go through all 200 of my 1500 songs that arent tagged properly and manually tag them myself? Sorry if i am not making sense.....hopefully i am and thanks for your continued help.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
thanks for your help..... and your not being blunt..... i am just having trouble. My problem is that i "thought" i ran them through the tag editor. I did see the processing thing at the bottom that you were talking about. However, after it was all done there was some files that said no tag and some other songs said something else but i cant remember what it was. So i put all the songs back on my phone and the same files still were under a "unknown' folder in music app.

I thought that tag scanner used the internet and automatically changed the tags. Also i could click in a subject field after the songs were all done "processing" so i guess now i need to just open up the folder with my music, and manually go through all 200 of my 1500 songs that arent tagged properly and manually tag them myself? Sorry if i am not making sense.....hopefully i am and thanks for your continued help.
The long and short of it...Yes, you need to manually edit the tags. Unfortunately, TagScanner, like most tag apps, is really better suited for doing full albums, not individual songs....