The Official: I am having reception issues thread

FryeGuy93

Reaction score
Had no problems with my GNex since purchase. The .2 uploaded when I was in the parking log after purchase.

The OTA update to 4.04 hit my phone while I was vacationing (OBX) and I was somewhat excited. I had hoped the update would improve battery life which was my only problem.

Since I was on vacation, I did not spend a lot of time reading the bug reports and message boards. Within an hour after the update I dropped 3 calls to two different people in Tennessee. I assumed it was their fault.

However, no it's obvious it's not.

Keep in mind, I have never had a drop call problem with a cell. I owned a worthless Droid Bionic that I pawned off on my wife after several months of frustrating data loss that was actually finally fixed.

Now? My phone is garbage. I'm constantly losing cell signal and believe my data signal is now worse as well.

I've never seen an "update" make as many problems worse. I would not know if the battery life is improved as the phone is now churning through battery faster than it ever has as it is constantly looking for a signal.

Again, we don't know if the problem is with Google or Verizon. It is clear that the 4.04 update was delayed because of VZW interference. Did VZW force a code change that created this problem or did Google do this and screw up their own flagship phone? I usually take Google's side but this time I don't think I can.

No wonder other phones are slow to go to ICS.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
The only way I don't get dropped signal is I have to keep my phone in 3g mode. As soon as I turn on CDMA/LTE mode and it is in 4G I randomly lose signal whenever this phone feels like it
Can't stand this crap.

npro1464

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Nexus off of Craigslist instead of upgrading to the GSIII since I think I might want to switch carriers and ride out my contract. Should I be concerned about the radio problems? The Thunderbolt was a bit of a mess itself when it was first out, but I did alright by rooting it and flashnig new ROMs/radios. I'm worried about getting someones lemon, which might very well be the case in buying something off of Craigslist. But since I'm a little experienced in flashing/rooting, I was wondering if I should still be concerned. Has anyone had luck by flashing new radios? Thanks!!

MyDroid23

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Nexus off of Craigslist instead of upgrading to the GSIII since I think I might want to switch carriers and ride out my contract. Should I be concerned about the radio problems? The Thunderbolt was a bit of a mess itself when it was first out, but I did alright by rooting it and flashnig new ROMs/radios. I'm worried about getting someones lemon, which might very well be the case in buying something off of Craigslist. But since I'm a little experienced in flashing/rooting, I was wondering if I should still be concerned. Has anyone had luck by flashing new radios? Thanks!!

Save yourself the trouble and get the GSIII. I am sick and tired of my G-Nex not working the way it should. I've been told numerous times that the 4.0.4 ota would fix these issues and after using my device for the past week or so, it has not been fixed. I was in Atlanta, GA all last week after I received the ota, signal strength is 100 x s better than Chicago. That is a major dissappointment on top of the fact that the G-Nex does not function as it's intended purpose, to make and receive calls and the occasional web search. :mad:

???

Reaction score
my first nexus day one release is great but I broke the camera, don't as how lol. so I had them send out a replacement and it was junk, signal cycled on and off all the time, so i called them and told them I would rather keep my broken camera phone over this thing, so they over nighted me another referb. its even worse, just sitting on the desk it loses service every few mins. just two or 3 bars of 4g, to nothing, back to 4g. This one doesn't even go to 3g. just drops out.

I have read about bad phones, but damn even I didn't expect this. so for now, I put my sim back in my old Korean built nexus and just not have a camera and see how long they will keep shipping me different junk clnr or whatever they are called, phone to try.

Almost comical but I'm lucky I still have my old working phone to hold me over or I might be like everyone else and not even believe there's any good ones out there.

my day one nexus is on par with my girlfriend's bolt, so may not be great but to totally useable, unlike these last 2