The Official: I am having reception issues thread

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, I'm on my 3rd device. First, file a complaint with the BBB. Second, call Verizon and ask them for a credit. Third, cross your fingers and hope for the ota this month like promised.
If the new radios that came with the leaked 4.0.4 fixes radio problems don't ya'll think we would've received it by now. :icon_evil:

You have not received it yet because its technically still in soak test. Vzw reps have been testing it on their nexus and I was able to verify it by their build numbers (those testing it). The key word in all this is they were LEAKED ... meaning they have not been officially pushed out. Because you have a Nexus with an unlockable bootloader you can flash things like this very easily and if you dont like it still be able to return it back to out of the box state. If you really wanted a fix its easy to obtain whether it be by flashing new radios, exchanging the phone, or getting vzw to change out device with you.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
Interesting read pc747. Verizon should have never allowed ICS on to their network without working out the kinks with Google. It is really upsetting to know that Verizon built their reputation on a good reliable network with devices that worked. And now they're plagued by not only 4G/LTE problems, but also an operating system that is new and flawed. I hope to be a satisfied G-Nex owner. Samsung, Verizon, and Google are all reputable companies that I would recommend to everyone. Please, address these issues in a professional/ethical manner.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
You have not received it yet because its technically still in soak test. Vzw reps have been testing it on their nexus and I was able to verify it by their build numbers (those testing it). The key word in all this is they were LEAKED ... meaning they have not been officially pushed out. Because you have a Nexus with an unlockable bootloader you can flash things like this very easily and if you dont like it still be able to return it back to out of the box state. If you really wanted a fix its easy to obtain whether it be by flashing new radios, exchanging the phone, or getting vzw to change out device with you.

Vzw should of done a thorough test of the G-Nex and ICS on their network before promoting and selling it to do mass as if it is the trophy of all smart phones to own :icon_ devil: They have had 5 months to send out a fix. What's sad is my og droid got more love and affection. :biggrin:

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Vzw should of done a thorough test of the G-Nex and ICS on their network before promoting and selling it to do mass as if it is the trophy of all smart phones to own :icon_ devil: They have had 5 months to send out a fix. What's sad is my og droid got more love and affection. :biggrin:

I know for a fact that I know a rep that is a tester and his signal strength is worlds apart from what he was getting on 4.03 and 4.02. It is why I think that if someone is having issues it will fix it. I been running imm76k for almost 3 weeks now. I have dumped roms and came back to imm76k (rooted) because I love the performance especially with the radios. I use my phone for work and have to have a reliable connection. I gave up my rezound because the nexus with the new radios have performed so much better all the way around.

tek112

Reaction score
Interesting read pc747. Verizon should have never allowed ICS on to their network without working out the kinks with Google. It is really upsetting to know that Verizon built their reputation on a good reliable network with devices that worked. And now they're plagued by not only 4G/LTE problems, but also an operating system that is new and flawed. I hope to be a satisfied G-Nex owner. Samsung, Verizon, and Google are all reputable companies that I would recommend to everyone. Please, address these issues in a professional/ethical manner.

You make some good points. However historically Samsung has been known for poor radios in their devices. I put the blame of all of the reception issues squarely on the shoulders of a bad radio/radio firmware.

I can definitely see it getting better with time, but that will not be due to the network or the operating system.

Too many other devices can run on Verizon's network with ICS and produce better radio results than the galaxy Nexus. That leads me to only one conclusion... It's the device.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

fulfilledstraw

Reaction score
Upgraded to GN from a DX on Saturday at a Verizon store. Noticed a few signal drops while playing around with it, but assumed it was just because I was setting up to connect to WiFi. Upon researching the issue, this seems to be a fairly common problem. I've read about upwards of 7 factory replacements to get a functional device.

Updated the radio, but to no avail. Turning off 4G has solved my issue for now, but I don't really see that as a solution. I hate how much I love this phone otherwise; I was really excited to have a nexus device.

mears

Reaction score
I have 4.0.4 now and sadly, I've already had dropped calls, data connection dropouts, and complete loss of mobile network access. So far, I haven't had the one-way audio issue, but I haven't made many calls yet.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have 4.0.4 now and sadly, I've already had dropped calls, data connection dropouts, and complete loss of mobile network access. So far, I haven't had the one-way audio issue, but I haven't made many calls yet.

If you already been through a number of exchanges call vzw tech support and let them know you been through a number of devices and have waited for the ota and still no fix. You would like to exchange the phone out. See if you can exchange it out for a clnr razr.

tek112

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this phone is an exclusive for Verizon? Will a GSM / 3G version be offered for another networks worldwide?

At this point they should hold out for the sg3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rollo_Tomasi

Reaction score
I've had my GNex for about 9 months now and I am pretty sure I am having reception issues. I drop data, drop all signal & have trouble maintaining 4g even in strong 4g areas. Before I call or take it into the store should I unroot it and go back to stock? I have tried every radio that has been posted on XDA and it stills seems that these issues are occurring.

fulfilledstraw

Reaction score
I've had my GNex for about 9 months now and I am pretty sure I am having reception issues. I drop data, drop all signal & have trouble maintaining 4g even in strong 4g areas. Before I call or take it into the store should I unroot it and go back to stock? I have tried every radio that has been posted on XDA and it stills seems that these issues are occurring.

Definitely. Be sure to go back to root AND re-lock.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
So do I just keep having them give me a new one till I find a phone that doesn't lose signal? Going from full 4g to an x where the bars were then back to full bars like 30 seconds later. Why did this not happen on 4.0.2?

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
So do I just keep having them give me a new one till I find a phone that doesn't lose signal? Going from full 4g to an x where the bars were then back to full bars like 30 seconds later. Why did this not happen on 4.0.2?

Yes Sir,I had to go through 3-4 before I got a good one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2