The Official: I am having reception issues thread

catfisher

Reaction score
I doubt you will hear anything. I just got off the phone with Big Reds tech support in hopes of getting some answers. Got nothing, not even confirmation that this is a known issue and a real fix is in the works.. I hate to say it but if this doesn't get fixed I am going to have to take this device back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Oh believe me, I understand that I probably will get no assistance from Big Red. They already have my money, therefore, they no longer care. The only thing I really need them to do is extend the 14 day BS return policy, just in case.

trebills

Reaction score
Oh believe me, I understand that I probably will get no assistance from Big Red. They already have my money, therefore, they no longer care. The only thing I really need them to do is extend the 14 day BS return policy, just in case.

It's my understanding that all phones purchased between thanksgiving and Christmas get the worry free guarantee til January 15th.

Bucknell2013

Reaction score
It's my understanding that all phones purchased between thanksgiving and Christmas get the worry free guarantee til January 15th.

I can confirm that this is indeed the case. When I was talking to the reps to get my GN, this was brought up at least three times.

lfylove

Reaction score
I get good reception but sometimes on the top bar of 3g will show and I'll have no connection even though I'm in same spot

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

AspenSTi

Reaction score
Here's mine again, even with full 4g it was no where near my wife's DX which was at -66dbm. I have yet to drop any calls or not have signal whenever I needed it however.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's mine again, even with full 4g it was no where near my wife's DX which was at -66dbm. I have yet to drop any calls or not have signal whenever I needed it however.

Yeah I would love to have those numbers. By the way vzw just want to get it in -90dBms so when they see that they gonna see that there is nothing wrong with your reception.

MaCe

Reaction score
data issues

morning fellas ... just curious , my issue isnt as much of a recption issue as even tho it drops down to almost nothing I can still make calls my biggest problem is that my phone can never find a DATA connection ? should i assume this is the same problem ? or something completely different??

michelle4439

Reaction score
Hi,

I got my nexus on the 15th and they replaced it on the 19th and still the same issue on the second phone. I had the thunderbolt before this phone and my thunderbolt was running on average 10 to 20 db better signal reading then the nexus in the same locations. MY nexus is running -93 to more often -100 to -120db in the same locations as my thunderbolt would run -83 to -93db. plus the fluculation of the nexus signal is much greater than the thunderbolt. I hate to say it but i cant live with the nexus signal problem if they continue saying there is not a problem. After my first case number they replaced the phone since i had the thunderbolt and could compare the two phones behavior in the same locations. I do no live in a 4g area yet, but my thunderbolt always had a rock solid signal and i really need that capability. My last conversation with teck support said the engineers say ther is not anything wrong with the nexus and i must have had a bad phone, so they replaced it. now i am on a second case and my second phone is no better than the first.

I hat to say it, but i may have to return it unless they give me another phone or admit there is a problem they think will be fixed down the road. back to the bolt i am afraid, even i love the nexus i cant live with a weak radio. I am running 30 to 35% without a signal where in the same location the thunderbolt almost never reporter more than 5% time without a signal and most of the time it was 0% w/o signal.
I am having the exact same issues. My Galaxy would read -93 as its best but would average -100 and -120 most of the time. I love the phone but can't deal with that. I returned mine and I am waiting for my Razr to get here. My sister has the razr and it is much better. Also the number of times the data would drop is unacceptable. I am so disappointed. I am one of those people like most of you that waited and waited on the Galaxy.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issues. My Galaxy would read -93 as its best but would average -100 and -120 most of the time. I love the phone but can't deal with that. I returned mine and I am waiting for my Razr to get here. My sister has the razr and it is much better. Also the number of times the data would drop is unacceptable. I am so disappointed. I am one of those people like most of you that waited and waited on the Galaxy.

I say again make sure you email or call vzw and voice you anger and disappointment. Vzw do care about the customers. Yes they care about money but you cant make money with angry customers and they will do what needs to be done to keep you paying that monthly statement and to renew. Trust me if their email boxes and complaints are full from high end customers they are going to have to make sure it is right. Especially if every one who calls and emails let them know we saw the press release about them raising bars and not fixing the issue and we know what the dBm range should be.

AspenSTi

Reaction score
Yeah I would love to have those numbers. By the way vzw just want to get it in -90dBms so when they see that they gonna see that there is nothing wrong with your reception.
I guess what i was trying to say, is that even though that was with the best reception i have ever seen on this phone, it still didnt compare to another phone with "correct" bars and better dbs.

On a side note, are the bars and dbs readings directly connected? I rarley see a difference between the two. Ex: with 1 bar at home i get -110dbs, and with no bars i get -120dbs, is it possible to have more bars and the same dbs readings? (aka the "verizon fix")
-edit, never mind answered my own question, no they are not. You can have more bars and still a crappy dbs reading.

Last edited:

nleksan

Reaction score
I am getting frustrated by this... Kind of reminds me of how those of us who waited outside Best Buy (or wherever) in the freezing cold, all night, for the Xbox360 release ended up worse-off than those who bought one a year later and even more worse off than those who buy one now. Us "OG Fanboys" for the 360 put up with red-ring-of-death issues, a "big" 20GB HDD, issues with the disc reader (the laser), overheating, limited HD support (component video only), limited true surround-sound support (sound is "upscaled" to 5.1), wired-connection for internet ONLY (until the $100 WiFi adapter came out), etc. Of course, those issues all reared their heads AFTER we'd shelled out $400+ for the console and the (crappy) launch-day games.

Now, you can get a 360 for half that price, and with it comes integrated WiFi a/b/g/n, a 250GB HDD, HDMI 1.4a output, true 7.1 surround sound, vastly-improved silicone and cooling, and no worry about RROD. He*l, you can get the above XBox, three games, and the Kinect for less than the original 20GB one was on launch day!
(In case you can't tell, I really want a new "slim" 250GB 360, but can't justify the money when I have one that works just fine, and has been "fixed" by MS regarding the Red Ring of Death)

My point is this: we are like the people who stood outside for 24hrs in the freezing cold, hoping to get our hands on the newest, best, most revolutionary game console (phone). We waited, we gossiped, we clung to every rumored release date and every one of us felt our hearts drop when it didn't come to be realized, and just like the first-day new game console adopters, we were pretty much left out in the cold.

Yet now, the phone has arrived! We begged, pleaded, and offered up our first-born children, and finally the "omnipotent" Verizon bequeathed upon us the Galaxy Nexus, a phone to rule all phones, the KING of all Android and IOS devices.

However, as you may know... Heavy lay the crown...

We got what we wanted, but we have to accept that it was at some cost. The more pressure they were under, the less testing and the faster production required. We all knew, getting into this, that we would have "buggy" phones, and on December 14, 2011, every person on here was absolutely OK with being a "test mule" for VZW, for Google, and for Samsung.
Yet, now that December 15th has passed us by, people seem to only want to complain? I admit, there are many things that frustrate me about this phone, but they are ALL (at least so far) issues that can be easily resolved via software patches. Also, for every time that I get frustrated, there are at least five times where the phone does something new and amazing that puts a smile on my face. I'd say that is worth the price of admission.

Don't think that we are being "abandoned". Look at the Nexus and Nexus S timeline... Google takes care of these phones like they own every one themselves, so we WILL be getting the best software updates they can create, and we will get them weeks and months before anyone else. I admit the signal issue is frustrating, but I have yet to drop a call due to it, and I can still browse/text/talk/"app"/whatever without issue, in 99% of the places that I go. Also, over the holidays being home so much, my phone has mostly been connected to my WiFi network so I have actually cut my data usage by ~80% or more (I'm under 400MB from 15th-28th... normally, I'd be at about 2.75-4GB).

If this issue persists, Google is far to "bright" a company to do a wide release of ICS, so that could mean that we GNEX users will EXCLUSIVELY have the OFFICIAL Android 4.x.x for some time yet to come...
(Admit it... everyone here has made their friends jealous... it's far too tempting not to ;) )

At least, that's how I see it.
Sincerely,
nleksan

HTC1

Reaction score
Lower is better. I got -36 on my Rezound

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

480Ruger

Reaction score
I’m running at -120 dBm and haven’t had any dropped calls. However I have had the data outage issues with the Bionic dropping data at the same time too. My wife usually has the moto and the phones are close to 40 miles away so I know it’s not the same tower. With the speedtest the moto runs 20-24Mbps and the best I’ve had on the Gnex is 12 side by side. What gives?

Oh and thanks for the great forum. Lots of info and many questions answered.

Last edited: