The official Droid Turbo battery life thread.

By the way, could someone PLEASE explain to me how to imbed a screenshot into a post? I can't find any instructions. Thanks!
Press and hold the power button and the down volume button at the same time. If you get either the power button settings screen or the volume down indicator, then you didn't press them at the same time. You have to time it so you press both simultaneously. The screen shot can be found in the gallery. It should create a new album/folder in your gallery called screen shots.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. I read this wrong and thought you were asking how to take a screen shot.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

By the way, could someone PLEASE explain to me how to imbed a screenshot into a post? I can't find any instructions. Thanks!

Just below the window where you're typing, is a button to the right of the red "Post Reply" button is a button labeled "Upload a File". Click that button.

1490dc4653ef5a002367d9f9929efbdf.jpg

That will take you to your computer using the file manager and it allows you to select the file you wish to upload. You can choose an image file stored on your computer. Once chosen and it is uploaded, it will appear below the text window and there are two options to include it into the text, one as a "Thumbnail" image and the other as the "Full Image".

59d2a4531069708951fa2010c606cc40.jpg

Choose your weapon and go. It will place the image wherever the cursor was last positioned before you choose between the two selections.

8a03857b-0b34-4cc4-bb2a-a2fe7fca8237.jpg
8a03857b-0b34-4cc4-bb2a-a2fe7fca8237.jpg

You can also submit an image that is hosted elsewhere such as a picture on another website's page, by right-clicking on that image and copying the image's URL (shortcut).

08b7be25ce2678e7a8fe3af42ed629a5.jpg

Then you can click on the "Image" icon in the above toolbar (to the right of the smiley face), and pasting that link in the window that appears. After hitting enter, the image will be brought into your post.

51-Untruths-From-Television.jpg

Last edited:
I read this article today about "turbo charging". It's written about fast charging an iPhone, but does mention the Turbo and gives some good information about fast charging. This one's for you, FoxKat!
Will Rapid Charging Damage Your iPhone 6 Or 6 Plus - Forbes

Yes @TatDroid , that is an interesting article and does give some very basic information about batteries, battery care and rapid/fast/turbo charging. However the author, Elise Ackerman wrote it in a manner designed to be general, gentle for the public and not incite great discussion about the finer aspects or raise concerns. In other words, it was written to be non-alarming and instead calming to any with concerns. Dare I say, consider the audience - iPhone users?

Consider that when and if an article is written aggressively, that is if it begins questioning hard the safety, durability, efficiency of a device that's being marketed to be all of the above that it can create quite a stir if it is too critical. This can possibly taint relationships between the publisher and the advertisers (read manufacturers, retailers and carriers), who are also concerned about selling these devices in as large a quantity as possible and with as little resistance as possible. You don't want to upset your advertisers lest you lose those valuable advertising dollars and your site/paper/news station/publication will suffer lost revenue.

Ackerman did go to two great sources for information, but where she failed is that she didn't actually ask the hard questions of either one. Especially in the case of George Paparrizos, director of product management for the Quick Charge 2 technology at Qualcomm, Paparrizos would be signing his death warrant at the company if he expressed any concerns about, or implied that rapid charging caused any diminished performance or longevity of the batteries in the devices where their technology is used. His position as a marketing spokesperson is quite the opposite, to quell any fears about and instead tout the merits of their rapid charging technology, and to diminish any concerns regarding any potential reduction in lifespan of the batteries as a result of the use of that technology.

I would have much preferred if she had pressed the issue with Isidor Buchmann, founder and CEO of CADEX, arguably the most knowledgeable company in the world with regard to rechargeable battery care, and the company that publishes the fantastic resource, BatteryUniversity.com. Buchmann has nothing to lose if he were to give his true impression of, or quote actual research they've done regarding fast charging and the potentially diminishing lifespan of rechargeable batteries, most specifically Lithium Ion based batteries as a result. For him it would actually work to their advantage since they sell expensive battery maintenance devices designed to increase or maintain capacity and extend lifespan of these batteries by using proprietary charging and monitoring technology. Their technology is used by first responders nationwide and worldwide, to insure their portable radio equipment and other battery operated devices are in the best possible condition and State of Charge so they're ready at any moment to be placed into the most extreme of service requirement and perform like their users' lives depend on it - because they do.

Truth is, Battery University presents quite a different opinion of charging at higher rates and how it affects the battery's life on their website, as compared with what that article left the reader believing. I have over the last few years presented countless posts referencing Battery University's charts, formulas, dialogue and real world testing results, which prove what I have been saying all along, and which I've known since the mid 80s. In my experience and evidenced by the massive research done by CADEX, and as I've said in numerous posts as well (though worded differently), if you push something softly, it will last longer than if you push it harder. In the case of rechargeable batteries (present and past technologies), this is true as well and the CADEX test bench results prove it irrefutably.

Most of us recharge our batteries overnight, while we're sleeping. Unless we're accustomed to sleeping less than maybe 5 hours per night, using a standard charger and charging the batteries in a gentle fashion will still result in a fully charged battery by the time we unplug and set off on our daily travels. The marketing hype is for the wall-huggers who are forced to use their phones while plugged in during the middle of the day because their batteries wouldn't make it through a full day. iPhone users are very familiar with that issue. To a certain extent we haven't been so unforutnate and now, we (I), don't have that problem with the Turbo, or at least with a 3,900mAh battery [we] shouldn't. For us, I would have much preferred a dual-purpose charging system that defaulted to "normal" charging rates for the every day charging purposes, and a button on the charger (or a menu selection/widget on the phone), that would activate "Turbo Charging" for those rare instances when we need it.

So, I'll end by saying that if you don't need to "Turbo Charge" because you're not in need of a large percentage increase of stored energy in a relatively short period of time, your battery will thank you if you don't. My recommendation is that we use lower amperage chargers of the types included with last year's phones during overnight charging, and take the Turbo Charger with us for those rare times when we need another 8 hours of power and only have 15 minutes to obtain it.

Last edited:
Just below the window where you're typing, is a button to the right of the red "Post Reply" button is a button labeled "Upload a File". Click that button.

1490dc4653ef5a002367d9f9929efbdf.jpg

That will take you to your computer using the file manager and it allows you to select the file you wish to upload. You can choose an image file stored on your computer. Once chosen and it is uploaded, it will appear below the text window and there are two options to include it into the text, one as a "Thumbnail" image and the other as the "Full Image".

59d2a4531069708951fa2010c606cc40.jpg

Choose your weapon and go. It will place the image wherever the cursor was last positioned before you choose between the two selections.

View attachment 73890 View attachment 73890

You can also submit an image that is hosted elsewhere such as a picture on another website's page, by right-clicking on that image and copying the image's URL (shortcut).

08b7be25ce2678e7a8fe3af42ed629a5.jpg

Then you can click on the "Image" icon in the above toolbar (to the right of the smiley face), and pasting that link in the window that appears. After hitting enter, the image will be brought into your post.

51-Untruths-From-Television.jpg
Ok, I see it now. I was in tapatalk. Once I moved to a full browser version, then that button was there. I figured it had something to do with the app I was in. Thanks!

Ok, I see it now. I was in tapatalk. Once I moved to a full browser version, then that button was there. I figured it had something to do with the app I was in. Thanks!

Well, you can do it in Tapatalk as well. The + (plus sign) on the bottom left of the text entry window allows you to insert an image. In the next tool bar that appears is an icon of a camera. Tap that, then it gives you the option of either selecting from your Gallery, using the Camera to take a Photo or Video. Select the one you want, choose the image (if from Gallery), or take your shot/vid, and it will upload it to the Tapatalk share (Imageshack.com), and place a link in your text.

Lol... Well.. We'll get it right one day.. At least now.. You know how to do it for both :)

Here is the reply I received from Motorola to my inquiry regarding the turbo charger and the Turbo...

Hello G,

That information is incorrect, the reason why the droid turbo was sent WITH the turbo charger is because that battery is made to handle the Turbo Charger. If the phone couldn't be charged only by the turbo charger, then we would have added another charger in the package with your device. Could you provide me the forum information you are looking at so I can pass this along to my supervisors here at Motorola and we can take a look at that? Just reply to this email and it will be directed right back to myself.

Thank you for choosing Motorola.
Have a great day!

- Matthew.

Here is the reply I received from Motorola to my inquiry regarding the turbo charger and the Turbo...

Hello G,

That information is incorrect, the reason why the droid turbo was sent WITH the turbo charger is because that battery is made to handle the Turbo Charger. If the phone couldn't be charged only by the turbo charger, then we would have added another charger in the package with your device. Could you provide me the forum information you are looking at so I can pass this along to my supervisors here at Motorola and we can take a look at that? Just reply to this email and it will be directed right back to myself.

Have a great day!

- Matthew.
I feel they kinda have to day that, but while the turbo charger isn't detrimental, like FoxKat has said, its not the optimal choice if prolonging the life of the battery is in your interests.

Hello G,

Have a great day!

- Matthew.

Pardon me for chuckling a bit, but what did you think he was going to say? That it DOES cause a reduction in the batteries' lifespans and that they just decided not to tell you by how much?

Matt at Motorola is certainly being the "company guy" with that reply, and I have every level of respect for him. I have had discussions with him myself and he knows me, maybe not personally like you know your neighbor, but he certainly knows "of" me. I am a member of the Motorola Forums and he is the forum's top guy, so I have the utmost respect for him.

And I agree that the charger is "safe" to use with the phone, and that otherwise they wouldn't have supplied it, and Qualcomm wouldn't have spent literally millions of dollars developing this technology, nor would either Motorola, Qualcomm, or for that matter ANY manufacturer that's supplying this charger or some iteration thereof with their phones risk their reputations and potentially countless millions in potential liability claims if it wasn't.

I also don't doubt that the batteries being used in these phones may be "optimized" to take advantage of the Turbo Charging, whereas if you could somehow (foolishly), modify an earlier model phone such as the MAXX or RAZR to actually utilize the Turbo Charging you might actually have an incinderay device on your hands instead.

I agree that it will allow you to get the expected lifespan from the phone, give or take maybe 3-6 months in a targeted 2 years if used as expected. I never disputed that. What I have said is essentially that there is no proof that it won't deteriorate the battery faster over time than using a lower charging rate similar to what we're used to, and yet a plethora of evidence to the contrary. What I did say essentially is that it will eventually result in a battery that will hold less of a charge at the same point in time in the future as one that wasn't Turbo Charged every night.

This means that when you use the phone now, and you get let's say 36 hours of actual use before charging to "100%", in a year or so, you may only get let's say 30 hours out of the same charge of "100%, using the phone the exact way and all other things being equal. What you must remember is that 100% charge is 100% of its capacity in milliamps of current stored at peak charge, which is a moving target and getting lower with each and every charging cycle, not 100% as a finite number of gallons like your gas tank in your car which will take the same amount of gallons at a filling 20 years from now as it did when it rolled off the line.

Everyone is welcome to derive from both my comments and those of Matthew at Motorola, as well as that of others there and/or at Verizon whatever opinion they choose. I'm not here to get into a battle about this with anyone on the forums, and I am certainly not looking for a fight with Motorola but will defend my position vigorously in both cases. However what I will have is my own opinion regarding this and since I live in the United States of America, and since it's a free country I am allowed to think and feel as I please.

I give advice here, freely, and with no compensation. As with ALL free advice, you are expected to use your own best sense and judgement, and to research it to your satisfaction. If you believe what you are being told by one as opposed to another, and as long as neither are providing you a guarantee that the information is accurate or that they will warranty that information and provide you with some form of recompense if that information turns out to be incorrect, then you have only yourself to blame if the outcome is less than you expected.

Nobody is perfect, and no technology is perfect either. If you don't believe me, ask those who activated Encryption on their phones, only to have the phones die and not be able to recover the data they had stored on their REMOVABLE SD cards, in some cases, photos and videos that were precious and irreplacable. That was a technology implemented by Motorola in their phones, and yet it's "safe" to use, and "suppled" with the phone. How you use it is up to you.

I will continue to use the trickle charger next to my bed at night and will benefit in three ways;

1. I will sleep better knowing that as with virtually anything, the more gently you treat it, the longer it will last, and that goes for how hard or fast you charge rechargeable batteries as well, across the board all other things being equal.

2. Two, I will be treating my battery with greater care than I have more than enough reason to believe the Turbo Charger will (i.e. shortening its lifespan), and although it may only result in a slight reduction of its lifespan, I have every reason and scientific evidence to believe charging at the faster rate of the Turbo Charger will diminish it some, the real question is how much.

3. And three, I will be wasting less power off the grid as the phone and charger are not heating up anywhere near as much with the trickle charger as they do with the Turbo Charger (more evidence of my claims), and wasting our finite resources and my money into the air as the added heat from the devices is dissapating and providing no real benefit to me by the time I wake up, seeing as in both cases, I will have a fully charged phone. The only difference is in with the Turbo Charger it's ready to use at 2:30am (while I'm asleep and snoring), instead of in the trickle charge's case where it may take 5 or 6 hours and be ready to use by 6:00am (while I'm still snoring).
Finally, I will reserve the right to use my Turbo Charger the way I see fit, when I feel it is warranted and necessary, such as when I DO need a significant increase in the battery levels in a very short period of time, and otherwise will continue to charge my phone in the car and at my home and office using standard USB "trickle" chargers producing in the realm of 800mAh at 5V +/- a few percentages, or USB ports on desktop computers, laptop computers, and USB accessory ports in my car and portable battery packs.

Last edited:
I'm optimizing my og razr.. Standby...
I might have screwed up..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419992377139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419992377139.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Ok...Slow weekend. I am starting to feel like Kramer test driving a car. There was not a lot of syncing going on.

Attachments

• KRAMER.png
    KRAMER.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 184
I don't know about you but I see 3 days on one charge for smartphone of today to be pretty good!

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Reactions: cr6
I'd tend to agree

Back