Battery Issues with Flashlight App

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a question or a comment as I'm just seeking more information. Has anyone heard or experienced a phone charging/battery drain issue with Flashlight apps from Google Play running on their phones?

I have a Verizon Droid Turbo and over the last month or so I've been having issues with charging the phone that sometimes results in a complete drain on the battery. What I was seeing is that I could sometimes plug the turbo charger into the phone and you would get an indicator that said that the phone recognized the turbo charger but when I went to use the phone after the charge the phone would be dead. Sometimes it would look like it was charging but then it would stop charging and again the battery would drain. I assumed that it might be a defective charger but after buying one from Verizon it didn't seem to make a difference. The only thing that did seem t work was to power off the phone and then plug in the charger and although it was frustrating it worked.

Yesterday, however when I was speaking to a 2nd level Verizon support rep on a 4G LTE reception issue I mentioned the charging issue and the rep asked me if I had any flashlight apps installed and I stated that I had the Super-Bright LED Flashlight by Surpax installed. She then asked me to uninstall that app as it was most likely the problem. The rep then asked me to plug in my turbo charger and my phone which was a 36% charged immediately started a fast charge. I've messed with this a few times now and each time I plug in my phone things are working normally again.

Has anyone heard or experienced a similar issue with their Android phone? Do you know the cause of this problem as I've had this same flashlight app on all of my smart phones.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Apps can do some strange things to our phones. I had a US Postage app once that completely locked out all WiFi Settings and options on my wife's phone. It may be that your Play Store app is set to auto update (I personally turn that off and manually update apps so I know when they update and read the What's New section) and that flashlight app auto updated, and that update is not compatible with your current phone and / or not compatible with the version of Android you are on. Or, just a flaky update and the dev team will fix it soon? It's hard to say, but sounds like you did the normal troubleshooting and know what was causing your issue, which is a good thing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Not necessarily a similar experience, however certain apps can do a lot in the background you're not aware of that can drain the battery for many reasons. The app may work properly If you deny it certain Liberties or access.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't the first time that I've been bit by a funky app. It just surprised me that the 2nd level Verizon rep was so quick to ask me specifically about flashlight applications. I sort of assumed that a flashlight app would be pretty benign. The rep didn't mention a specific flashlight app either she just told me that if I had any flashlight app on my phone to get rid of it. Very Strange.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Stock chop-chop doesn't work for you? Or, 2 swipes down gets you major toggle options?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Verizon Tier 2 support must have received a lot of similar calls lately to know to ask about flashlight apps....or he / she is just really good at their job.

dhcphoto

Reaction score
I just saw a report on the news from a internet security expert that the top 10 flashlight apps are all spy ware. Easiest way to tell is look at the size of the app and you will see that they are extremely large downloads. Legitimate flashlight apps are very light and have very small file sizes.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I just saw a report on the news from a internet security expert that the top 10 flashlight apps are all spy ware. Easiest way to tell is look at the size of the app and you will see that they are extremely large downloads. Legitimate flashlight apps are very light and have very small file sizes.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I read a similar article a year or more ago.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Verizon Tier 2 support must have received a lot of similar calls lately to know to ask about flashlight apps....or he / she is just really good at their job.

I did a quick online search and it seems that it is a common solution. could be the script writer knew their job :)