The Google Giveth and the Google Taketh Away... GPS for iPhone as well

MrBaz

Reaction score
Which is a stupid thing. Since I remember google saying "Runs only on android version 2.0". Dumb move in my opinion, esp after apple spit in their face and denyed the voice app.

i DO see your point
but, let's be honest
even google isn't big enough to avoid "embracing" the iPhone on THIS issue

you've GOT to have your app on the iPhone platform if you want full exposure. i love my droid, but it won't be outselling the iPhone EVER... (ESPECIALLY because it isn't even a "WORLD" phone)...we both know that

the iPhone is here to stay (and will continue to be updated) but the next "latest and greatest google phone" is but a few months away... after all, motorola won't even exist by the end of 2010, in all probability

sad, but true

Actually, Motorola will be releasing several new Android phones in 2010 along with everyone else. Motorola isn't going anywhere.

coolkidd

Reaction score
The iPhone uses A-GPS only. I relies on contact with cell towers for accurate readings and cannot be used without cell coverage.

The Droid uses A-GPS as well as S-GPS. This means that even if you were in the middle of no where and had no cell coverage, the phone is capable of operating strictly off of GPS sat signal. Granted, you wouldn't be using Google Maps or Nav for this, but other programs like CoPilot could still be used.

Just so you know iPhone has a GPS chip (Infineon PMB 2525 GPS chip), but it sucks.... and most of the time iPhone uses the A-GPS.

Reaction score
Trade with Apple

Give them the navigation if Apple (Adobe) will release the flash player for Android.
:icon_ banana:WIN WIN

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can completely understand this is all about the bottom line for Google... and with so many iPhones in use providing their software/app for GPS will make some money.... however... Apple shouldn't get ANYTHING. They don't play well with others... let them struggle to find a suitable match for Google Nav.

The iPhone is so huge (in sales) that any company ultimately is gonna jump on board to push their product on the iPhone given then opportunity, all bickering aside.

I do think Google is going to take away a lot of potential buyers from Android devices when this comes to fruition.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which is a stupid thing. Since I remember google saying "Runs only on android version 2.0". Dumb move in my opinion, esp after apple spit in their face and denyed the voice app.
You're thinking from the perspective of a vengeful person rather than the large corporation that Google is but most forum posters tend to do that. Google's primary business is information, information analytics, advertising using that information, etc. All that pays for their "free" apps and services.

It's in Google's best interest to have as many people as possible using their apps and the iPhone market is as far from insignificant as it currently gets. Releasing Google Nav to other platforms will not "make or break" Android. Android is SO much more than just Google Nav. Google just doesn't have the track record of intentionally withholding apps for certain platforms as people seem to think.

The iPhone does not have an actual GPS chip in it. It uses cell towers to gain coordinates.
First of all it does have an actual GPS but, ignoring that, you still haven't answered how at&t impacts GPS accuracy. Unless you were banking on the aGPS claim.

Last edited: