The Google Giveth and the Google Taketh Away... GPS for iPhone as well

J

JohnDroid

Looks like Google is going to bring the same navigation software to the iPhone for free as well. So not only will the Droid (and Android) platform get it, but so will the iPhone.

This gives the Droid one less competitive advantage.

All Apple has to do is approve the app, which they are sure to do since they are already walking thin ice denying the Google Voice app in the App-Store.

AppleInsider | Google says its navigation will come to iPhone, if Apple approves

Android No Longer Has The Competitive Advantage, GPS App On iPhone As Well – Pages Are Social

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which is a stupid thing. Since I remember google saying "Runs only on android version 2.0". Dumb move in my opinion, esp after apple spit in their face and denyed the voice app.

OP
J

JohnDroid

I've done a bit more research and there was a good discussion on YC about it. Apparently Google has stated that they will do one in the future but that they do not currently have one ready.

So, I'm sure Google is apt to just let them sit there and wait for it until the newness on the Droid platform wears off ;)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the apple insider made it seem like they already had the app ready and all apple had to do was say yes or no. Which of course "apple"insider would say to make the isheep go out on a rampage saying "we get that too see" *points at ad*.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Understand that Blackberry will get it too. For google it is all about dollars, and in the end carriers pay GOOGLE to use their software.

Guerrilla

Reaction score
To be fair, they've been fighting with Apple to get Google Navigation on the Apple App Store for a while now. This was pre-Droid. Apple was simply refusing the app due to TomTom throwing a fit over the idea of a free GPS solution that would replace their subscription solution already in place. Obviously any iPhone user would dump the TomTom subscription in favor of Google.

So, yes, the iPhone could have had it long before the Droid and Android 2.0 had Apple OKed it.

xjman349

Reaction score
The agreement with Google and VZW is they will get all new exclusive content for at least 90 days before any other carrier. Remember though the iPhone wont be as accurate becase A. att sucks. B. Doesn't have a GPS chip like our phone does.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
this should've been a google phone exclusive. if they're seriously looking to get into themobile world with Android they should cut all ties with Apple

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
The agreement with Google and VZW is they will get all new exclusive content for at least 90 days before any other carrier. Remember though the iPhone wont be as accurate becase A. att sucks. B. Doesn't have a GPS chip like our phone does.

Where did you read that VZW has a 90 exclusive on google SW? I'd love to see a link for that. :)
ATT sucks sure ;) but what does that have to do with GPS accuracy?
Oh and the iphone does have gps... unless you are saying the droid has a superior chip in some way and if that is the case where did you see that?

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
this should've been a google phone exclusive. if they're seriously looking to get into themobile world with Android they should cut all ties with Apple

In my opinion google is doing a smart thing here. For google it is all about the bottom line, they still want iphone eyes and the $ they make from the ads they see. Google has set android apart in giving it the app first and the bonus is that it gives them more control with apple. With all the press about the turn by turn nav the iphoners want it too and now apple can't not give it to them. It makes google apps valuable in the minds of iphone users and then maybe they see hey no google voice or no google whatever… Google doesn't like apple having so much control over such a large section of the mobile browsing audience so this helps them get some back on their side yet still keep consumers of all platforms happy.

On Droids

Reaction score
Sounds like the natural progression of these type of features. In the vehicle sector Microsoft and Ford had a 1year exclusive deal for the SYNC function which is about to expire which will open that platform to other manufacturers.
GM's ONSTAR is working with a licensing agreement to make that system available to other manufacturers also.

Last edited:

zegolf

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that Apple was developing their own Navigation software to compete with Google. Because of the original disagreement with Google over getting Navigation, Apple basically told them to pack sand and started development on their own software.

But maybe I'm wrong.

xjman349

Reaction score

Where did you read that VZW has a 90 exclusive on google SW? I'd love to see a link for that. :)
Oh and the iphone does have gps... unless you are saying the droid has a superior chip in some way and if that is the case where did you see that?

The iPhone does not have an actual GPS chip in it. It uses cell towers to gain coordinates. Thats why TomTom etc have released software for the phone, and it has the car dock with a GPS chip in it, because the phone doesnt have one. At least that was my understanding. Maybe I am missing something. I am pretty sure though when I had my 3gs, it wasnt true gps.

As far as the exclusivity, I am trying to find a link for you. I know I read it somewhere that that is the reason they called in the "droid" it was going to be part of a lineup of phones that get new software before other devices exclusive to Verizon. This was a while back but thats what I remember reading. Things may have changed, i will see if I can find that link in the mean time.

Last edited:

spalding12

Reaction score
Which is a stupid thing. Since I remember google saying "Runs only on android version 2.0". Dumb move in my opinion, esp after apple spit in their face and denyed the voice app.

i DO see your point
but, let's be honest
even google isn't big enough to avoid "embracing" the iPhone on THIS issue

you've GOT to have your app on the iPhone platform if you want full exposure. i love my droid, but it won't be outselling the iPhone EVER... (ESPECIALLY because it isn't even a "WORLD" phone)...we both know that

the iPhone is here to stay (and will continue to be updated) but the next "latest and greatest google phone" is but a few months away... after all, motorola won't even exist by the end of 2010, in all probability

sad, but true

Last edited:

MrBaz

Reaction score

The iPhone uses A-GPS only. I relies on contact with cell towers for accurate readings and cannot be used without cell coverage.

The Droid uses A-GPS as well as S-GPS. This means that even if you were in the middle of no where and had no cell coverage, the phone is capable of operating strictly off of GPS sat signal. Granted, you wouldn't be using Google Maps or Nav for this, but other programs like CoPilot could still be used.