The Galaxy Nexus/Google Wallet experience

jcardona1

Reaction score
I really want to try this, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot when this thing fails lol. I'm traumatized for that stupid app that stores all your membership cards that the cashier is supposed to scan. Maybe I'll go really late at night when no one is there :happy3:

boilerkj

Reaction score
Quick question...I assume that I have to go inside to pay for my gas at places like Circle K if I want to use my Wallet?

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Quick question...I assume that I have to go inside to pay for my gas at places like Circle K if I want to use my Wallet?

Look for the MasterCard pay pass logo. The cashier should never touch your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

boilerkj

Reaction score
Thanks...I check the MC PayPass site and it looks like all the Circle K's around here are at the register not at the pump, but I'll keep an eye out.

Nubbie

Reaction score
I have Google Wallet and I havent used it! now i want to soo bad!

though is it really easier than an debit card? I see it being useful if you lost your card or wallet. (or left at home)

Its cool. I'll admit. untill they have google drivers licence, google cash, google subway pass, google condom, google anything I keep in a real wallet. I'm not sure how often I'll really use it.

Plus I never shop at places that accept it.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Question for those that have used this...what's been your experience with cashiers? Will they ask you for ID? Since you don't have an actual card on you, will the register even show the name of the purchaser to verify against an ID? Or would that not apply since you used a prepaid card? I wonder how this will work for larger purchases if you were to add a credit card. Try to spend $50-100 using a credit card on your phone and say you forgot your wallet at home. Think they'll let it go through? Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to whip out your wallet each time...

Snow02

Reaction score
Question for those that have used this...what's been your experience with cashiers? Will they ask you for ID? Since you don't have an actual card on you, will the register even show the name of the purchaser to verify against an ID? Or would that not apply since you used a prepaid card? I wonder how this will work for larger purchases if you were to add a credit card. Try to spend $50-100 using a credit card on your phone and say you forgot your wallet at home. Think they'll let it go through? Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to whip out your wallet each time...

No id. But you will have to sign for anything over $50. This is why the app is pin protected with a timeout.

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score

I think most are so shocked you can do it they havent asked for an id yet.

Fyi there is a MasterCard pay pass locater app in the market

prowler85

Reaction score
I haven't used it yet, but will this weekend. May even go to McDonalds since I know they have paypass.....and I HATE McDonalds!! :)

As far as ID and large purchases, keep in mind this is intended for paypass type purchases, like gas, convenience store, fast food, etc. They even have it at University of Phoenix Stadium. It's intended to be for smaller purchases to keep lines moving. So I'd be surprised if you had a purchase over $50 (except on gas :blink:). So no, they should never ask for ID. It's just like waving the little key-tag cards that some banks issue.

pchakmak

Reaction score
Anyone worried about identity theft? Security issues?

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Anyone worried about identity theft? Security issues?

I think its secure enough.

Its not like its connected to your accounts. You do have to put in your security code every time to load funds.

dagdoot

Reaction score
I used this tonight at Wawa and the cashier thought i was stealing because she didnt believe the transaction went through..she said i didnt pay for it and i said i just did, theres the receipt and shes like no you didnt pay for it..im like what are you talkinga bout shes like how could you pay for it with your phone im like, its google wallet..shes like whats that? i have to get my manager i dont believe you im like uh ok..the manager comes over and sees the receipt and says im good to go..lol i love the attention..the guy behind me in line was like "hey is that the nexus, its so nice" and im like yea it is. hes like is that google wallet too? im like yea and he started askin how it worked. its definatly an attention getter.