Texts going to wrong person

pinebaron

Reaction score
Texts to wrong party

I had the same issue a few days ago. Received a text from my daughter, replied in usual fashion. Then, got a response from a third person asking for an explanantion for my text. That day, ALL my replies to texts went to this same third party. The thread would indicate my name and the intended recipient's name within the thread itself, while the unintended third party's name was at the top!! That this third party was an ex-girlfriend only added to the drama. I deleted all threads, rebooted phone, and haven't had the problem since. I checked the accuracy of the contact data for all involved--no problems there. Haven't had any issues with phone calls. FYI--I haven't been included in the Verizon system update as of yet...

piercedtiger

Reaction score
As an update, I haven't had this problem since upgrading to the OTA 2.1 leaks. (first and then second leak)

gschlact

Reaction score
fix for text message (sms) sent to wrong person number

have the Droid X with Android v2.1. I had the same problem with SMS / Text message replies going to the wrong person.
This fixed it.
Find all related “Contact” applications, tap on them and delete data. (Your data on gmail is safe and will resync to the device) .
Settings-> Applications -> Contacts*
Then reboot.

-guy
gschlact

MuffinTop

Reaction score
I have had a strange thing happen a couple of times while texting... I'll open up a thread of texts and start to type a reply, but the name of the person at the top of the screen (next to the android symbol) is different than the person in the thread. If I send the message it actually goes to the contact at the top of the screen, not the person in whose text thread I'm writing.

Even if I hit the back button, or exit Messaging completely and start over, clicking on person A's thread still opens the correct thread of messages but with person B's name at the top, so any message sent in that thread will go to person B.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts on a fix?

This can really complicate things when you want to text message your girlfriend and your wife gets it instead. Who knew right, apparently she does now............DOOHHHHHH!

kiddoc

Reaction score
ummmm yea ;(

so i dont know how to include someones quote so ill cut and paste the previous persons entry...

"This can really complicate things when you want to text message your girlfriend and your wife gets it instead. Who knew right, apparently she does now............DOOHHHHHH!"

so, yea...happend to me last night! ugh...i hit reply to my "friends" text..it has her correct name and thread when i typed my response..and when i sent it, BAM!!..all of a sudden...the mrs' name came up and said that message went to her!!! thank god for ambien!! she was out cold and i was able to grab her phone from upstairs and delete it!!! but..good gosh!! i havent texted since! this is not the first time this has happend in the last few weeks either..(referring to just general texts going to someone other than one i was replying) but only first, thank god with these particular people! lol... does anyone, anyone?? have a fix for this without deleting all the contact stuff...i dont do the "syncing" thing although maybe i should? so i would lose everything i would imagine??

anyways...PLEASE HELP! ;))

Snypercell

Reaction score
Same thing happening to me. Droid 2. Every time i try to create a new text message it is delivered to the wrong person.

BlkParader

Reaction score
Temporary fix for when it happens, just turn phone off then back on. It restores threads to proper contacts. Other than that, I haven't figured out any permanent fix.

Eliteoomph

Reaction score
This is happening on the new Thunderbolts as well. Mine and my wife's. Our experience has been that we have clicked on a text thread and it opens up as a completely different thread. It does not seem to be consistent at all. Did anyone ever figure out a fix without downloading 3rd party apps?

RedDawgEsq

Reaction score
This happened to me for the first time today, but my reply went to the correct person (the person at the top of the screen,not whose name showed up beside the message) after exiting and re-entering the thread a few times, the name listed corrected itself...we'll see if it happens again.
This was my experience. Happened with one contact, hasn't recurred, keeping fingers crossed.

critter592

Reaction score
Thunderbolt STILL is sending texts to wrong person randomly. I thought it was a matter of trying to send a text too soon after startup (I have to turn my phone off regularly as I fly). But I just had an instance where a text went to the wrong person with the phone having been on for many, many hours. The name on previous received texts was who I intended to send it to but after hitting send I found the reply in a completely different thread. WTF Droid.

critter592

Reaction score
Ok this doesn't seem to be a TB problem. It's a Droid problem. I just got off the phone with tech support and they say they are aware of the problem and that hopefully they will come out with a fix for it. His only option for me was to do a system reset and I didn't have time to get into that tonight. So, he was kind enough to email me his addy and I will get beck with it tomorrow to walk through it. He said if that didn't fix it then they could talk replacement phone. But wtf...seems I'm not the only one having this and it's not just TB. I've seen posts on this going back two years it seems.

The tech support guy said it is believed to be related to responding to a text or looking at a text before it is "fully" on the unit whatever that means. So if you get a text don't reply to it right away. Wait 3 seconds he said. I'm skeptical on that reasoning but I'm sure he's going with what he has been told about it. Not his fault. It's so frustrating. Just happened again tonight. My wife sends me a text. I tap in the reply area and hit send. The reply then magically appears under someone elses thread! Then I get a reply "uh, everything ok?" Major facepalm.

apopj

Reaction score
Verizon sent me a new Droid... did the same thing.... Verizon sent me a new Droid X2.... did the same thing..... Has anyone looked into canceling the Verizon contract due to failure to perform? I'm sure if half a million people did this, they would fix it immediately!!!!!