Droid Opens Wrong Text Conversation

soofly28

Reaction score
For some time now, my Droid will randomly open the wrong text message thread. My brother has a Droid as well and it happens to him, too. I will click on my txt conversation with Person A and it will open up my txt conversation with Person F. I originally thought that maybe I was being careless as to which text convo I was clicking on, but have noticed it will even open convos that are all the way at the bottom of my txt message list and are not even visible on the screen until I scroll down.

It happens randomly and the frequency varies. I have to be very careful and make sure I double check that the correct txt convo is open before I send txt messages. I have not had the issue others have mentioned where it says it sent to Person A but ends up actually going to Person C. As long as I check that the correct txt convo is open once I open the convo, I am fine. I have definitely had some close calls though where I have messaged the wrong people and have almost sent some inappropriate texts to the wrong person.

This is not user error. Like I said, sometimes I click on the most recent txt convo at the top and it will open a txt convo with someone 12 convos down and their convo is not even visible to me on the screen. I would really like to know how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

walt45

Reaction score
Same

I am having the same problem. Do you also at times have problems with entering in who you are sending the text to?
Ex: you start entering a name and once you enter the first letter it puts the next letter before the first like its supposed to be frank but it puts knarf?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I am having the same problem. Do you also at times have problems with entering in who you are sending the text to?
Ex: you start entering a name and once you enter the first letter it puts the next letter before the first like its supposed to be frank but it puts knarf?
:welcome: to the forum! Are you having any other issues with the touch screen? Sometimes I have that issue, but I also have been having an issue with my keyboard not hitting the correct keys. I cleaned my screen and did a prox-sensor reboot and it fixed the problem.

walt45

Reaction score
Where the cursor is placed jumps back to the start and stays there after the first letter is typed. Something like a caps lock feature where it just stays where you type the first letter normally.

DroidDoesDenver

Reaction score
I heard the texting issues happened after the Froyo update and Verizon was going to fix it. I could be wrong..

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Try doing a proximity sensor reset. If that doesn't fix your issue you should take it to Verizon or consider doing a hardware reset (back up all your important data first). Need instructions on how to do that?

And :welcome: to the forum, DroidDoesDenver! :)

alwerner

Reaction score
text problem

For some time now, my Droid will randomly open the wrong text message thread. My brother has a Droid as well and it happens to him, too. I will click on my txt conversation with Person A and it will open up my txt conversation with Person F. I originally thought that maybe I was being careless as to which text convo I was clicking on, but have noticed it will even open convos that are all the way at the bottom of my txt message list and are not even visible on the screen until I scroll down.

It happens randomly and the frequency varies. I have to be very careful and make sure I double check that the correct txt convo is open before I send txt messages. I have not had the issue others have mentioned where it says it sent to Person A but ends up actually going to Person C. As long as I check that the correct txt convo is open once I open the convo, I am fine. I have definitely had some close calls though where I have messaged the wrong people and have almost sent some inappropriate texts to the wrong person.

This is not user error. Like I said, sometimes I click on the most recent txt convo at the top and it will open a txt convo with someone 12 convos down and their convo is not even visible to me on the screen. I would really like to know how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A few questions:
  • Are you rooted?
  • Are you running Stock ROM?
  • What SMS application are you using?
  • You said it has happened for some time? When did you notice it? After an upgrade? After you switch texting applications?
  • Do you have contacts that share the same phone number?

OP
S

soofly28

Reaction score
I guess I need to take it to Verizon but yes, mine also has the problem where I start to type a name and it does it backwards or whatever. Annoying.

walt45

Reaction score
A few questions:
  • Are you rooted?
  • You said it has happened for some time? When did you notice it? After an upgrade? After you switch texting applications?
[/QUOTE]

I dont know what rooted is and stock rom I would assume so...no SMS applications...Im running 2.2...shouldnt be contacts with the same phone number

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Power the phone down -- pull the battery if you have to -- and put your finger across the top. When I say top I mean the part with the ear speaker. Put your finger across that. Now power the phone up and keep your finger there till the home screen/lock screen appears.

OP
S

soofly28

Reaction score
A few questions:
  • Are you rooted?

I dont know what rooted is and stock rom I would assume so...no SMS applications...Im running 2.2...shouldnt be contacts with the same phone number[/QUOTE]

No idea what rooting is or the running Stock ROM... I am using the standard texting offered via Droid, the one that came with the phone. I have never switched texting applications, always have used the default messaging that came on the phone.

I am not sure if it happened after an upgrade, it has been going on for a least a month or two. I have just been dealing with it but now I am just getting sick of it. My contacts dont have the same phone numbers and it only opens existing threads, so if I click on a text thread with Person A it will open an already existing text thread with another person, and the text thread it opens is totally random, sometimes its the 2nd or 3rd convo, sometimes its the 9th or 11th.

I guess I will take it to verizon and see what they can do. My phone also does that thing where when I type in a name to send a text it types it in the wrong order but I dont do that much so its not a big deal.

walt45

Reaction score
I tried the prox reset and it is still mistyping? Maybe I did not do it right but I dont think it has anything to do with how my keyboard is working maybe not though?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If it's the hardware keyboard you might have a sticking d-pad. If it's the software keypad it's a screen/proximity sensor issue.

I should have asked this first -- hardware or soft keboard? :)

If it's the hardware keyboard then try rolling the d-pad around a few times, see if it's sticking.