Txt msg problem - txt msgs to one contact create thread to many contacts

DroidXer

Reaction score
Warning: Long post, please read!!!
Cliff Notes: Text message threads for SOME contacts are showing that the message was sent to 15 people even though only one was selected, so I cannot reply to the person without replying to all even though the thread was initially just between us.

This problem is so annoying and ridiculous that I am actually considering ditching the phone if I can't solve the darn problem.

Here is the issue:

I have uninstalled anything to do with text messaging except for the stock messaging application. I used to have Handcent and ContactsGroupU (allows you to easily check the box of a contact and send out mass texts) but I uninstalled them and wiped the cache partition.

I have a group of people, we will just say about 15, that I have to text on a regular basis (work related). Hence why I installed the ContactsGroupU app.

Let's call them Person A, B, C, and so forth up to Person O. When I text or receive a text from Persons A through O, with the exception of Persons D, E, and F, they create their own thread. Always, no problems whatsoever. We can text back and forth repeatedly in the same text thread, only between me and the intended recipient.

However, if I get or send a text to persons D, E, F (none of which have even remotely similar names), the initial text goes through between just us. However, once the thread is created, the STOCK messaging app shows that the message was sent to EVERYONE. For example. I text Person A "hey, what's up". A thread is created between just me and him. If I text Person D "hey, what's up" they and only they (I've verified with the others) get that specific text, BUT on my phone it shows that the message was sent to Persons A through O. So if Person D responds "not much, you" I can't reply directly by typing in the chat box because the thread was created as a thread between all 15 contacts and if I respond it will now send the text to all fifteen people!

Here is where the problem gets ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS: In an effort to try to figure out the problem I deleted all 15 of the contacts from my phone, from the contacts app, from anywhere. Their phone numbers DO NOT APPEAR anywhere in my phone, at all.

If I text person D, guess what happens? THE THREAD IS CREATED AS BEING SENT TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE IN THE GROUP, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T EVEN HAVE THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION STORED IN MY PHONE ANYMORE!!!

To recap, I've tried:

- Deleting Handcent and ContactsGroupU
- Deleting the contacts completely from my phone

I am completely lost and have no idea what else to try.