Texts going to wrong person

styx

Reaction score
Same here all weekend but today it's working fine. {shrugs shoulders}

xrascal4

Reaction score
I have this same issue dose anyone know how to fix it? verizon says they have no reports of this issue? It does it on the default messaging program and on handcent?

kmcscott

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue. Message thread with my mom is showing up as actually coming from a coworker. In stock messaging it is my mom but in Handcent it is my coworker. Strange! Uninstalled and then reinstalled and same problem.

inmotion

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem, if it keeps up I'll have to ditch the droid.

Bump to keep sight of the issue... we NEED a fix for this.

xrascal4

Reaction score
I am still having this issue. I called verizon they had me do a factory reset (didnt work) they then had me call motorola because they said it seems like a software issue. Explained the problem to them and they transferred me to verizon said its a network issue. Does anyone no how to get this fixed!

inmotion

Reaction score
There isn't a fix (as far as I've seen) and it only affects a small number of phones, so I doubt it'll get any attention (at least for a while)

It's not a network issue, can't be. It's gotta be software based, and seeing as how it happens with 3rd party messaging apps too, I assume it has to be a problem with the phone book software.

Our phones are some of the first to store the phone book in the cloud (all your contacts are "google contacts" saved to the google server.) With the exception of contacts transferred from old phones, which is saved in a text file on the phone. An interesting fact that I just realized is that all the contacts involved (either incoming message assigned to the wrong contact, or outgoing to the wrong contact) are stored in the cloud. At least that's my experience.

With that being said, the problem has to be within the relaying of information between the phone and google, loosely making it a network issue, but primarily being an issue with the software. I don't know if that lands on the shoulders of Motorolla or google. Anyone know who wrote the included apps for the phone? Does the G1 or HTC droid use the same phonebook app?

lockman

Reaction score
Probably 2000 sent texts so far, and it happpened once- day after I got the phone. Stock app before I discovered the joy of Handcent.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
has alcohol been considered in these 'wrong texts'? :beer2:

just kidding guys/gals....here's a coke :pint: and a smile :D

CyberLaw

Reaction score
This happened to me for the first time today, but my reply went to the correct person (the person at the top of the screen,not whose name showed up beside the message) after exiting and re-entering the thread a few times, the name listed corrected itself...we'll see if it happens again.

Last edited:

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Okay, kinda related, I received a text from my buddy Jeremiah, however it came in under Ryan, I was only able to notice this because it was a specfic message about work and I dont work with Ryan. Basically I checked the contact info for Ryan and it appears that my facebook syncing put all of Jeremiah's contact information under Ryan as well as Jeremiah. So I removed all the incorrect information (only phone numbers) and it populated the text as Jeremiah now.. I would honestly check that.

Yes, I suspect it might actually be a CONTACT SYNC issue, not a text app issue.

I experienced the same problem as Switchback posted above - a text message came in that was from my MIL but was shown as from a friend. I didn't investigate further then, and since then I've wiped the phone completely and restarted so can't investigate further.

You guys might want to check whether your contact info is correct or whether the sync has messed them up.

skidemn

Reaction score
I haven't had this with a text, but it has happened twice with phone calls. The first time I heard the wrong voice at the end I looked at the name on the screen and sure enough the name was the person I intended to call but the voice was a different contact. It happened again the next day but not since. Really odd to see the name and phone number showing while the call is live but to be an entirely different number actually called...

finprof

Reaction score
I just had this problem with a phone call - anyone else? Specifically, I received a call, made 4 different calls, and then place a call to a number in my call log. I know I pushed the correct icon, and the number I wanted to call displayed correctly at the top of the screen, but the call went to the earlier caller. This could be a big problem if it happens again!

Xerozix

Reaction score
I had both the calling issue and the texting issue,

The first time, I was trying to call a person with the last name kang (my cousin) but it connected me to my uncle kang.

the text was between 2 different names, but I was actively texting both of them.

Oohyeah

Reaction score
So, has anyone checked whether the CONTACTS involved was still correct, or whether sync screwed them up?

As I said, we may be barking up the wrong tree if the problem is actually a sync problem.

xrascal4

Reaction score
I think I finally resolved the issue I was having with mine. All I had to do was stop using the default messaging app and switch handcent to default and shut notification off on the default program. Hope this works for the rest of you.