Tethering?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what? lame. ban. j/k how do you know? if you don't mind me asking...

Because I went through training this week and in our training materials it said that it is not compatible with Mobile Broadband Connect.

So I'm assuming no support for it yet, but hopefully it will be later down the road if it receives support for VZ Access Manager.

I would imagine soon it should support the VZ access manager, just have to write an app with some security. Shouldn't be too hard for those folks at VZ or whoever they sub it out to.

tsguy52

Reaction score
Hey anything to make VZW a profit they will have an "app" for haha.. I'm guessing the modem support really isn't standardized. VZ Access Manager will work with just about any device as long as you have the correct modem drivers. Basically a fancy interface for a DUN.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh you work for verizon! well welcome to the forums :)

and keep us posted on the VZ Access Manager.. thanks for the heads-up!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey anything to make VZW a profit they will have an "app" for haha.. I'm guessing the modem support really isn't standardized. VZ Access Manager will work with just about any device as long as you have the correct modem drivers. Basically a fancy interface for a DUN.

true, but if it is available, i will want it.

tsguy52

Reaction score
oh you work for verizon! well welcome to the forums :)

and keep us posted on the VZ Access Manager.. thanks for the heads-up!

Sure thing! Yeah I'm definitely not a troll haha..

I hope to learn a lot from this forum too! Our training only deals with device functionality and features.. I want to break it and fix it lol.. Obviously since I reside in tech support!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you heard any rumors of MiFi being a possible feature down the road? It was something that was floating around another forum because I believe a verizon rep shot a pic of the spec and it had "adhoc - but disabled" on it

tsguy52

Reaction score
Not really heard anything on MiFi-like abilities, but that would be awesome if there was a way...

I think that would provide a good selling point for the phone though. If VZW offered $30 tethering and allowed the phone to tether wirelessly via WiFi - that'd be a hit!

In terms of billing the phone would connect to the AAA using the dial up networking NAI (Network Access Identifier). This is how billing could keep an eye on that 5GB cap.

Only thing in the way is the hardware/software limitations. If it could dial up and connect with a DUN type connection and then transmit that connection through WiFi, then that might work. The phone would still work the same I would think.

tsguy52

Reaction score
Oh and I'm not saying I'm for a 5GB limit.. lol.. I think it's stupid to say the least. But just wanted to stay within reality!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't really figured out the 5GB cap. Esp with what the infrastructure looks like on the outside. They should move it up to 10GB now, at least. It has been 5GB for a while now, just seems like a very logical thing to do.

Unless they finally did move it to another figure.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
or they could make it unlimited, like they call it.. i could burn through 5GB in a few days if i were downloading music.

Delta KJ

Reaction score
On the Motorola site under Droid FAQ; "Can I use my phone as a modem?"; Response "No. Unfortunately your phone can not be used as a modem."
I guess that answers that!

RVnut

Reaction score
Tethering Droid

I travel a lot into areas where there is no wifi, but broadband is usable. Want to replace my BB with Droid, but being able to use verizon broadband is a must! :confused: Can anyoneclarifyy the mixed comments in this thread or supply some real information? Thanks