Tethering Wifi on phone to computer

DylanAZ

Reaction score
I am trying to tether the Wifi connection that I have on my phone (NOT the 3G connection, but a Wifi connection) to my computer. Is anybody aware of any apps for this? When tethering with PDA net it uses the 3G connection rather than the wifi connection that is turned on.

Any help?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Never heard of someone doing this.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can do this with USB tethering. If you want to root you can update to android 2.2, which has USB tethering built in. I haven't heard/seen an application that does this.

Sent from my Droid

Viper323

Reaction score
Ok, this may be a stupid question but... why not connect to the wi fi from your computer?

OP
D

DylanAZ

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the info. I don't plan on rooting my phone.. do you know when 2.2 will be available for non-rooted phones though?

And Viper, I have issues with my laptop wifi radio - it will not connect to most secured networks even when my phone will.

Last edited:

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
Well there has been no definite date set by Motorola but most people think at the end of the month or end of July. Hopefully someone has found an app that does USB tethering. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid

MrC1122

Reaction score
there is a program called "easytether" that i believe is supose to work with either (wifi or usb) available on the market, not 100% sure about that tho, but it sounds like you have nothing to loose by trying it...just a suggestion =}

xandor

Reaction score
You could also buy a usb wifi card and disable your laptop's wifi. I had to do that for a friend where their internal card was going and their comp was out of warranty.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D

DylanAZ

Reaction score
You could also buy a usb wifi card and disable your laptop's wifi. I had to do that for a friend where their internal card was going and their comp was out of warranty.

Yep, I'll definitely look into that.. I'm wondering if it's not a problem of being too far away from the signal (even though I have 2-3 bars). Do the Wifi cards have a pretty good range?

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Yep, I'll definitely look into that.. I'm wondering if it's not a problem of being too far away from the signal (even though I have 2-3 bars). Do the Wifi cards have a pretty good range?

Typically they do depends on the model and the brand sometimes and location of the router as well. I have a wifi machine in my basement running off a router 3 floors up, granted has weak signal but it still connects.

silverspot

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can do this with USB tethering. If you want to root you can update to android 2.2, which has USB tethering built in. I haven't heard/seen an application that does this.

Sent from my Droid
Actually the 2.2 update (or root froyo) has the WiFi tethering built in.

You can already USB tether (non-root) by using PdaNet - it's in the marketplace.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can do this with USB tethering. If you want to root you can update to android 2.2, which has USB tethering built in. I haven't heard/s
Actually the 2.2 update (or root froyo) has the WiFi tethering built in.

You can already USB tether by using PdaNet - it's in the marketplace.
Yeah but I have heard of Verizon being able to find out if you are tethering your Droid. Either way he wants to USB tether with the wifi which I don't think pdanet can do.

Sent from my Droid

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And Viper, I have issues with my laptop wifi radio - it will not connect to most secured networks even when my phone will.
You might want to look at the software you're using to manage your WiFi connections. I had serious problems with my Intel 2200BG when using Intel's software. When I allowed XP to manage connections I no longer had any issues.

You could also buy a usb wifi card and disable your laptop's wifi.
Or one of the card ones if your laptop has slots.

If the signal's too weak you'll definitely have problems. Seems like an easy one to troubleshoot. Try connecting closer to the access point and see if it makes a difference. The bars don't really mean much.

Last edited:

Thebluebirdhouse

Reaction score
Bought APP called "Documents to Go" by DataViz, was told that this would work but have no idea how. Any Ideas? Bluebird