Tethering blocked?

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of rooting, but the main reason I would do it right now is for free hotspotting. But I've been reading that Verizon has figured out how to block it. Is there any truth to this? I've done a search on the site, and nothing that seems related came up.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
Nope. I tethered internet from my phone to my laptop all day yesterday through a blackout

sent from my HTC INFECTED Synergy Bolt using DroidForums

vudumonkey25

Reaction score
Nope. I tethered internet from my phone to my laptop all day yesterday through a blackout

sent from my HTC INFECTED Synergy Bolt using DroidForums

I think you need to clarify for the OP, You tethered via usb? bluetooth? wifi teather? with or with out the radio hack?

It is my understanding that the radio hack doesn't work for everyone anymore (correct me if i'm wrong) and even with root access apps like wifi tether are blocked and still sent you to the official verizon hotspot page.

You do not need to be rooted to use an app like pdanet (usb from your phone to computer)

OP
D

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I think you need to clarify for the OP, You tethered via usb? bluetooth? wifi teather? with or with out the radio hack?

It is my understanding that the radio hack doesn't work for everyone anymore (correct me if i'm wrong) and even with root access apps like wifi tether are blocked and still sent you to the official verizon hotspot page.

You do not need to be rooted to use an app like pdanet (usb from your phone to computer)

This, specifically, is what I've heard and what I'm curious about. If it's true, then I'll have to decide whether freezing bloatware is worth rooting or not. This was the main reason for my wanting to root.

vudumonkey25

Reaction score
This, specifically, is what I've heard and what I'm curious about. If it's true, then I'll have to decide whether freezing bloatware is worth rooting or not. This was the main reason for my wanting to root.

I'm rooted, and apps like wifi tether do not work. You need to do the radio hack for them to work. Rooting and freezing bloatware i felt made the phone a lot faster (and I didn't even freeze everything I could).

But if you don't want to root I'd suggest pdanet, I use it and it gets the job done. I do miss the wifi tethering though.

OP
D

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I'll have to decide what route I want to take, which will best suit my needs.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score

Im tethering via WiFi Tether and its working fine for me.

Jugglingwj

Reaction score
I'm rooted, and apps like wifi tether do not work. You need to do the radio hack for them to work. Rooting and freezing bloatware i felt made the phone a lot faster (and I didn't even freeze everything I could).

But if you don't want to root I'd suggest pdanet, I use it and it gets the job done. I do miss the wifi tethering though.

How do you do the radio hack? Is it easy to do? I rooted my phone with the 3 or 4 step easy method but if it's not too hard I definitely would like to do the radio hack to get tethering working.

Are there custom ROMs that have tethering built in? My Incredible CM7 had tethering built in and that worked perfect.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I'm stuck here too...I went to the wifi tether site and don't know which apk to get. The one I tried didn't work.

rweb

Reaction score
I'm not on Verizon, so I neither have tethering issues nor I can test.
Are there really people who use the app "Wireless Tether for Root Users" and are redirected to Verizon? If yes, did someone check if they did it the obvious way with iptables?
Someone with these problems please post the output of:
iptables -t nat --list -v
(of course tethering has to be established then)

Jugglingwj

Reaction score
I'm not on Verizon, so I neither have tethering issues nor I can test.
Are there really people who use the app "Wireless Tether for Root Users" and are redirected to Verizon? If yes, did someone check if they did it the obvious way with iptables?
Someone with these problems please post the output of:
(of course tethering has to be established then)

I used the wireless tether app and I was redirected to a Verizon web page where I could sign up for the $20 a month hotspot.

Sorry for the dumb question but what is "iptables" ? Whatever it is, I'll send it to you if it will help clear up the problem.

rweb

Reaction score
iptables is a Linux comand with which you can control firewall rules, in short.
Please open a shell on your D3 (with adb or connectbot, for example), then type su to get root, then type the command line

Jugglingwj

Reaction score
Here's what it says...

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_148@cdma_solana:/$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_148@cdma_solana:/$su
root@cdma_solana:/# iptables -t nat --list -v
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 6 packets, 1970 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 1174 packets, 99149 bytes)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 1174 packets, 99149 bytes)
root@cdma_solana:/#

rweb

Reaction score
You really did it while tethering was etablished with your laptop?

Jugglingwj

Reaction score
Did what? Run those commands while tethering?
No. I deleted all the tethering apps I was trying.