Tether, WIFI and Root Clarification

BenB2362

Reaction score
One of the reasons we (2 daughters and me) got the Droid was as a backup for laptop internet access when a hotspot isn't available or the home network is down.

I've searched on the topic and I've read in some threads that rooting is needed for tethering and Wifi and read in others that it is not.

QUESTION 1 - Can someone clarify whether rooting is required to tether?
QUESTION 2 - PDANet seems to be the front runner app and I'm considering the full paid version. Does anyone know if PDANet plays nice with VPN software?

Thx!

Skaggz

Reaction score
Root access is not required to tether via USB. It is required to tether wirelessly.

Not sure about PDAnet and VPN, but I've used PDAnet in the past and I can vouch that it works excellent for normal web browsing.

OP
B

BenB2362

Reaction score
Thanks! - All I needed to know in under 1 minute!

anewday

Reaction score
Root access is not required to tether via USB. It is required to tether wirelessly.

Not sure about PDAnet and VPN, but I've used PDAnet in the past and I can vouch that it works excellent for normal web browsing.

Hope there will be an app to tether wirelessly without the need to root it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Hope there will be an app to tether wirelessly without the need to root it.

In the past Verizon has mentioned offering tethering for a monthly fee. The stock phone is locked down so you can not wirelessly tether without rooting the phone. If Verizon is still planning on offering wifi tethering for a fee you'll be able to get the app then.