Tethering questions - advanced

FX4

Reaction score
Okay a couple of questions, hopefully someone out there has figured out:

1.With windows 7 my connections drop after a short period of time. Two different laptops, tested: Easytether, Tether, and PDANet. Same results with all of them. I didn't have this issue with XP and it's not a problem with my dualboot laptop when running Ubantu Linux (EasyTether runs on Ubantu 10.4). It's clearly a Windows 7 problem. Any thoughts on this? Does anybody know what may be causing this issue?

2. VPNs? Does anybody have a tethering solution that works with a Netgear FVS318? I would like to tunnel into my home network. If so, what client are you using for the VPN? What tethering solution?

Thanks,
Ron

born2golf

Reaction score
I can only help with your second question, and unfortunately the answer is not good news. At this time layer 3 tunneling is not supported by the Android OS. It is a feature I am patiently waiting for to be incorporated.

I am closely connected with Juniper Networks who recently released their Juniper Pulse client (which only works with Juniper VPN concentrators), but they are the ones that informed me of the issuing lying within the OS and not the VPN apps.

OP
F

FX4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Just for reference, what phone do you have. And you might want to try CyanogenMod if you havent. I know that they added some aditional VPN settings but I am not sure what. The one time I had my VPN working, i tunneled in just fine but I had it setup through an ubuntu server running on my network.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
F

FX4

Reaction score
I have the original Droid from Motorola. I was running logs last night and I get through phase1 Ike negotiation and then it dies at phase 2. Just dead. No indication what is failing.