PdaNet and VPN

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
PDANet VPN Issues

I am using the latest version on the Droid and Vista PC. I am tethered via USB

I got a response from PDANet support:
Only VPNs that are supported by Android will work. If you are able to set it up on the phone side then PdaNet will go through it.

Thanks,
June Fabrics PDA Software Support

This seems to contridict some of the reposnses I've read. So now I guess I have to find a resource/thread that discusses why VZW won't stay connected when I envoke VPN on the droid itself. Find myself wondering if the rooted/tether/wifi solution would solve this issue?

bastosero

Reaction score
Someone told me that PDANet has timeout issues while being connected. If you guys want to, you can root your Droid and install WirelessTether. So far, I've heard great things about it and it doesn't have timeout issues. There is also another paid tethering app in the market called EasyTether. I'm not sure if you have to be rooted to use EasyTether or not, though.

OP
K

Karine

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed the latest version of WatchGuard Mobile VPN, which is actually 10.10 build 59. The new version appears to have resolved my disconnect problems. During my testing I remained connected for a full 30 minutes without once being disconnected.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
So I found this on the motorola site:

Secured PPTP VPNs fail to connect.

Symptoms:
•Connecting to a secured PPTP VPN fails. The following error message is displayed: "Unable to connect to the network. Do you want to try again?"

Cause:

•PPTP VPN client does not support secured connections (even though the GUI does have the option to "enable encryption").

OS version affected:

Reproducability:

•Always.

Steps to reproduce:
•Create a VPN connection (Settings > Wireless & network settings > VPN settings > Add VPN > Add PPTP VPN) with the "Enable encryption" option set.
Workarounds:
•Configure VPN server to accept non encrypted connections.

Unfortunately, this request to configure an no encrypted connection didn't leave my VPN administrator too happy.....Come on ....give me 2.1!

wingdo

Reaction score
These are two totally SEPARATE issues. The OP is talking about getting the VPN client on her PC (or Mac or whatever) to work through a tethered connection. This will allow the OP to use their PC from a location where they don't have WiFi access to still access their work network.

What you are talking about is using the VPN client on the Droid itself in order to get into an internal network on the Droid.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Actually, I want to be able to use my PC, tethered to my droid, via usb using PDAnet and connect to a network at my office. I think we have the same issue. I thought that if I used PDAnet I could just fire up a vpn connection from my PC and it would work. I've read that this is what a lot of people accomplish. Then I received the response from PDANet that seemingly implied that I have to establish the VPN connection via the droid and then when tethered it would work. When I tether my PC via pdanet, it works great, I can browse the net all day long....just can't get to my work network. Thanks for thinking about my issue(s).

wingdo

Reaction score
What's the VPN client on the PC?

I think the PDAnet tech isn't firing on all cylinders if you know what I mean.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
VPN client on PC? Wingdo, now my ignorance is showing. I am using a network connection created through windows interface. Is this what you are asking me. The guy that administers the VPN for my company also thinks the PDANet response doesn't make sense. :icon_eek:

cyberaxe

Reaction score
VPN android PDAnet

PDANET can't pass GRE and other ports you must setup and connect the vpn from the client(phone) when tethering.

YOU CAN'T use PPTP over PDANET tether on android.

I've had great luck with PPTP from my HTC and Motor Androids to a Windows 2003 R&RA Server.

UNTIL the LAST FEW days. error I now get a server disconnect is your phone behind a firewall?

DocFear

Reaction score
With 2v45 of the PDAnet software on WindowsXPsp3 and Droid Incredible (2.2) I have had some success with the Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0290).

I have it working but only tethered by USB and only using the 'Transparent Tunneling' options and IPsec over UDP in the Cisco VPN client.

Sadly I can't get anything to work using Bluetooth as that would be total awesomeness.

tennvol

Reaction score
I use it via usb with a Cisco IPSEC vpn with RSA token authentication with no issues

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

ddricci

Reaction score
I just posted a similar question [see below]:

Can anyone out there tell me if any of the other tethering apps can operate with a VPN? I do not have the option of changing the IPSEC client

I'm trying to use PDANET tethered going through a VPN for work - runnig IPSEC seems to diasble connectivity through the VPN.
Is there something known about this?
I can connect just fine externally that is before I attempt to connect remotely through my works VPN.

Lazarus48

Reaction score
This is your carrier fault.

For all of you trying to get the VPN to work, it wil not.

This is not because of the tethering software. It is because Verizon, Sprint, etc. have decided to place your smartphone onto their "Restricted IP' Class instead of General IP Class. This means that you cannot negotiate a VPN tunnel because of their restriction and the NAT firewall we are all behind. Some have talked about calling and demanding you be placed off the restricted class. Well,, Verizon has caught on and will refuse.

The only way to get on unrestricted is to purchase a seperate Broadband plan.

This is not the fualt of PDANET or similar software.

I have Verizons Wifi Hotspot feature on my Droid and the VPN still does not work.

Its all about the money.

tennvol

Reaction score
You sure about that? I have a pro and I can connect to my ipsec vpn just fine. I have to use pda net though since my IT folks have restricted my ability to connect to a adhoc network, ie wireless tethering. And no, I do not have the broadband connect plan. Just the standard unlimited data and voice