Galaxy Tab and VPN

vectorcharlie

Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to connect the Tab to a PPtP VPN. No encryption as encryption has a lot of problems in Android. (I de-activated encryption in the checkbox at the Tab)

All my other phones work perfect (Droid and DroidX) with the same conf (no encryption), but the Tab seems to not being able to connect.

In the VPN server, I have the following message:

A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client x.x.x.x has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47). Verify that the firewalls and routers between your VPN server and the Internet allow GRE packets. Make sure the firewalls and routers on the user's network are also configured to allow GRE packets. If the problem persists, have the user contact the Internet service provider (ISP) to determine whether the ISP might be blocking GRE packets.

This happends in the tab, both in Wifi and 3G... so it's not verizon.

Any other devices connect perfect... any ideas where is the problem??

Tomorrow I am calling Samsung, as Verizon doesen't have an idea of what I am talking. Seems to me that there is something missing in the software of the Tab. Seems that the same problem happens with other samsung android Phones... Any ideas guys??

solutionsix

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I actually had purchased a Tab a week ago and then returned it after I had dealt with Verizon and Samsung a couple times. I finally got through to Samsung and got a reasonable tech on the phone who was extremely helpful in troubleshooting, however, we could not figure out why it wasnt working. They (oddly enough) didn't have a Tab that they could try it on, but he tried it on a Galaxy S phone that they had in the lab and got the same results.

I have since bought another Tab (because i liked the thing so much :)) and am praying that the new 2.3 OS not only comes to the Tab sooner than later, but also fixes the problem?

I would becurious if any other users with the 2.2 OS have had any success with PPTP VPN connections over WiFi or 3G? Currently I get the ever so helpful "Unable to connect to network. Retry?" error when I try to connect. I just have not been able to prove if its Samsung's problem or a problem with Android 2.2 yet... :(

Anything you find out, please post here and I'll do the same.

OP
V

vectorcharlie

Reaction score
Yes, It's a shame. No way to do it and I already tweak everything I could. I will keep posted if I find something.

Happy holydays!

gigadigit

Reaction score
I just got my Tab and I am having the same issue. Has anybody figure out how to connect to pptp vpn using the Galaxy Tab?

I can connect to the same vpn with my Sprint Evo phone. Same settings as the Verizon Tab.

cwolfey

Reaction score
Was speaking to tier 2 tech yesterday about this,
It is a Galaxy specific problem with the manufacturer I was told, they are waiting for an update.

91LudeSiT

Reaction score
Was speaking to tier 2 tech yesterday about this,
It is a Galaxy specific problem with the manufacturer I was told, they are waiting for an update.

Good luck, Samsung has already forgotten about us, and is on the path to the galaxy tab 2.

Olivia Sanchez

Reaction score
my samsung tab just did the same thing! good gracious how terrible or a predicament we are in.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I have the Tab 4 8" and am unable to get my Private Internet Access VPN to connect at all on 4G. It works flawlessly on wifi. Since the latest update to my Galaxy S4, I'm now able to use the VPN on the phone's 4G. Hopefully, our tablets will be updated someday.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've connected with no issue to an L2TP/IPSec with the Galaxy S4 and the Note 4, so I'm not buying that it's a Samsung/Galaxy issue, unless it's only with PPtP. If anything, I'd think it was more an issue with the android version, but what version of the OS is the Tab 4 running?

I also have no issue on my Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi.

silverfang77

Reaction score
The Tab 4 is KitKat 4.4.2.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The Tab 4 is KitKat 4.4.2.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
I just realized you mentioned using it on 4g. I've seen complaints of that in other threads as well. I only ever used a VPN for privacy on open wifi networks, so I'm afraid I've got no advice there.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'm not even strictly sure that VPN is needed on 4G. However, the knowledge that VZW can monitor all our activities is disturbing.