Droid VPN PPTP connection not working when encryption is turned on.

shax

Reaction score

I'm trying to set up a PPTP VPN connection with the Verizon droid. The only way I can get the connection to work is if I turn encryption off in the Droid's VPN settings. (What's the point of having a VPN if the encryption doesn't work?)

I know it is not a problem with the PPTP server the Driod is trying to make a connection with or a firewall problem, because I have an iphone set to maximum encryption that can make a PPTP connection to the same server without a problem.

Any insight would be most welcome.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
have you found a workaround on this issue? I am having the exact issue as well, tried VZ and Moto support and they had no answers as of yet.

insane_ai

Reaction score
I have a successful PPTP connection with encryption enabled. I have no issues connecting.
On the Droid:
I use the public name for the VPN server (Server.Domain.com).
Enable Encryption - checked
DNS Search Domain - not set. (I don't fully understand this feature yet.)

I am connecting to a Windows Small SBS 2003 R2 Premium Server with ISA fully configured behind a Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall.

For the SBS Server, follow the wizard. (I hate relying on wizards in general but it works flawlessly for me)

On the Firewall device:
The following ports must be opened up:
PPTP - TCP/1723
LDAP - TCP/389
HTTPS - TCP/443

You also need to allow the GRE Protocol through. If your firewall / Router does not support GRE, you may be able to trick it by opening TCP/47. This works with Linksys Home routers.

In addition to the ports and protocols being allowed through, I had to create NAT rules on the ASA pointing PPTP and HTTPS to the internal NIC on my SBS Server.

With all this said, I am able to connect to my VPN through the Droid but I fail to see the point since I am unable to navigate the network from the phone or through a tethered computer. I did see a link somewhere suggesting a specific app to navigate the network rather than using the installed explorer. I have another post dealing with this issue though. I hope this info helps.

Detailed information on the server you are trying to connect to will help provide better answers.

Last edited:

mudtoe

Reaction score
Something has changed for the worse in the past couple of weeks regarding PPTP VPNs. About a month ago I purchased an iPad and after jailbreaking the iPad, and rooting the droid (I'm running bugless beast) I was able to establish a bluetooth connection from the iPad to the droid and tether it's internet connection (I'm using the wireless tether for root application). In this mode I was able to establish a PPTP VPN from the iPad to my home network, using the iPad's PPTP application.

Sometime in the last week or so, this has quit working. From doing some tests I have determined the following:

• The iPad can still establish a PPTP VPN to my home network when at a hotspot, so it's not the iPad PPTP setup, or my home network's setup.

• The iPad cannot establish a PPTP VPN session while tethered to the droid either via bluetooth or wireless, when the droid is connected to the internet via 3g.

• The droid cannot establish a PPTP VPN using it's software to my home network when using 3g internet.

• When the droid is connected to the internet via wireless everything works. The iPad can connect via PPTP VPN with bluetooth tethered to the droid as long as the droid is connected via wireless and not 3g. The droid's PPTP VPN app also connects fine when the droid is connected via wireless and not 3g.

Based on this I'd say that the problem is not in the droid's PPTP application or associated networking components, but is either in the droid's 3g network stack software or in verizon's 3g network itself. As this worked a couple of weeks ago from the iPad I'm beginning to suspect that verizon has done something in their 3g network, intentional or not, to block PPTP.

mudtoe

porsche509

Reaction score
I set up two vpn's on at Work and another for Home. Set up was on a windows xp pro workstation in both cases. setup was thru incoming connections both reqiure encription or server will disconnect
my home connection only works when encryption is off and my work only
works with encryption turned on both work only when connected thru wifi connection not the 3g network.

I give up this makes no sence to me not even consistant ???!!!

porsche509

Reaction score
correction my work connection does connect on the 3G network sometimes???

noteworthy I am running android 2.2

porsche509

Reaction score
Got everthing Working with VPN's however on 3G Network two or three tries may be required before a connection is established

Mountainpacker

Reaction score
After all this time, PPTP is still broken

I can't believe what a deaf ear they've turned toward this issue. Dudes, your MPPE is broken! This built-in feature hasn't worked in years! (I bet it works on iPhone):mad:

cyberaxe

Reaction score
Firewalled PPTP or Ports blocked by Verizon ISP PDA NAT Firewall.

I can't believe what a deaf ear they've turned toward this issue. Dudes, your MPPE is broken! This built-in feature hasn't worked in years! (I bet it works on iPhone):mad:

It's not broken it's blocked. Verizon ISP (Part of Verizon Wireless) Firewalls PPTP ports and basic NAT. You can call and have it removed but plan on it taking you some time and you might have a drink or two before you call to keep calm.

I have a blog post from when we fixed this on all of our phones which will help explain and give you the information you need to combat verizon ISP.
Solution to : Android 2.1 and 2.2 VPN PPTP over Verizon General IP blocked and Firewalled « Don't Panic

We've helped out 100's of IT Staff get this fixed.

The simple solution is to contact verizon (Your Sales Rep if business is the best option vs 611)

Looks like this fixed my issue. I also got some more info for you: – thanks to Trey
The ‘feature’ on my line was – “75668 GENERAL IP NAT ADDRESS PDA $0.”
when my business rep replaced it with “71767 General IP Address ” I was about to connect after a quick *228 & reboot.

Have them remove 75668 and replace with 71767.
*228 then reboot.

cyberaxe

Reaction score
This is not a bug, we were using it fine, Verizon started NAT firewalling PDA devices and it stopped working. We fought them for 3 months to fix it and once we talked to Verizon ISP they know about it and fixed it with a simple feature change in seconds. *228 and reboot and now all my phones from WM7 to Android (3 different types, HTC, Mol and samsung) all work 100% with no problems. You can also use PDAnet.

For more information I've posted the log and solution on my blog which you can find in previous posts on here.

Simple Solution is below, contact verizon and demand they do the below, if you refuse have them chat ISP support.

Looks like this fixed my issue. I also got some more info for you: – thanks to Trey
The ‘feature’ on my line was – “75668 GENERAL IP NAT ADDRESS PDA $0.”
when my business rep replaced it with “71767 General IP Address ” I was about to connect after a quick *228 & reboot.