Tethering Complaint Filed Against Verizon with FCC by Free Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
so if verizon loses how is everyone so sure theyll just jack the data prices up?

and also if they do increase the data plans, what would happen to people that are grandfathered?

They can tack on a few bucks, but more likely it will just affect the tiers.

Right now, someone with a smartphone and tether plan pays $50 a month, that's "unlimited" data plus 2 gigs of tether. So VZW could include tether, and charge you $50 for 4 gigs (or something like $30 for 2 gigs and $10 for each additional gig, tether included all the way). Basically what AT&T is doing now (though I think it's $40 or $45) with the Atrix & lapdock. The other carriers will follow suit, but it's a form of tacit collusion since there's no real incentive to break the ranks as any subscriber gain is short-lived when the other carriers adjust accordingly.

VZW isn't just going to say "you got us", come out with a great smartphone data plan and then watch all their tether revenue go up in smoke. They have people with multiple data plans paying anywhere from $60 to $110 or more, and that's not counting families with simply multiple smartphones. It's $80 for 10gigs on a mobile broadband card, so see how $30 for 2 gigs and $10 for each additional gig, all including tether, works? Maybe we'll be super lucky and it will be $5 each additional gig, or maybe they'll start us off with 5gigs for $30.

But most people don't use over 2gigs, so they'll have really no complaint. But the people who have been whining about tether all along and using it as their ISP are going to be really upset. Any way you slice it, the free ride is over, which is what some people are really crying about.

+1. We're getting all these ppl going crazy about this because they know they're no longer going to be able to steal a service as they see fit. If what we've been told is true, vzw is about to lose thousands of customers as they move to sprint lol....yeah....rite.

PainProphet

Reaction score
Both sides are guilty due to greed. Greed is the root of all these policy changes and soon to be tiered data so they can charge us out the ars and greed is at the root of people wanting unlimited data/tethering, no matter what, without consequences...

It would be nice to think that this complaint would make things better and create a "compromise" but I fear it will only anger the Big, Ugly, Red Giant. Keep poking it people, see what happens. uggh :icon_evil:

That being said, I'm using pdanet right now, so suc* it lolz, j/k but I'm don't consume crazy amounts of data, even when the tiered data comes, I'll be in check. :icon_ lala:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Both sides are guilty due to greed. Greed is the root of all these policy changes and soon to be tiered data so they can charge us out the ars and greed is at the root of people wanting unlimited data/tethering, no matter what, without consequences...

It would be nice to think that this complaint would make things better and create a "compromise" but I fear it will only anger the Big, Ugly, Red Giant. Keep poking it people, see what happens. uggh :icon_evil:

That being said, I'm using pdanet right now, so suc* it lolz, j/k but I'm don't consume crazy amounts of data, even when the tiered data comes, I'll be in check. :icon_ lala:

cant deny that, but greed is what makes the world go round unfortunately. and like you said it's on both sides...

yahwarrior

Reaction score
SPRINT HAS UNLIMITED DATA PLANS. If you don't like Verizon then just leave.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

A lot of us are getting close to that point. However, I believe Sprint will change [to tiered data] once Verizon gets rid of unlimited data. But until then they can't afford to lose the customers.

Sprint will undoubtedly go tiered. There's no way they can sustain offering unlimited plans forever. It just sounds good now to be the last one left to offer it...

menajik

Reaction score
perhaps I am missing something, but I recall another post about this from a different source stating that it is the stock kernel that prohibits tethering (without Verizon's plan), so if someone is willing to pay the price point for any of the new 4G smartphones or the ones that will soon receive it, why can't they just root the phone and swap the kernel with a custom one? my phone is rooted with a completely different ROM + a completely different kernel and it's the most smooth it's ever been with no problems regarding tethering or using the 3G mobile hotspot. been using either method since the DINC first came out and haven't incurred any extra charges whatsoever.

King Wataba

Reaction score
Corporations have been buying our government for decades use some of your gusto to do some research.

Sent from my liberated GB DROIDX

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Corporations have been buying our government for decades use some of your gusto to do some research.

Sent from my liberated GB DROIDX

Use yours to change something...if not stop whining about it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is definitely one of the more interesting / entertaining threads I've read in awhile. :)

I've noticed that several people used the argument that doing what you're told and believing what you are told is unamerican. I don't see how czerdill is doing either. It's merely businesses making $ and doing everything they can to make $.

exactly, and if they overstep their boundaries, the government will stop them. I don't understand how people are suggesting that these corporations are just able to do whatever they want and the government has no clue how to stop them.

the "guvment came and took my baby" crap is so Sociology 101...welcome to the real world.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score

A lot of us are getting close to that point. However, I believe Sprint will change [to tiered data] once Verizon gets rid of unlimited data. But until then they can't afford to lose the customers.

Sprint will undoubtedly go tiered. There's no way they can sustain offering unlimited plans forever. It just sounds good now to be the last one left to offer it...

Exactly. All a play for $. That's the only thing behind Verizon's drive to get rid of tethering apps on the market. Like you said with your buffet analogy, it's to stop those people that think they can pay for 1 person and spread the wealth. Whether or not they have the right to force users to use certain apps is another thing, we'll see how that plays out.

mccliment13

Reaction score
Bottom line is this, verizon either sets a limit to bandwidth or quit calling it unlimited because its not unlimited. Its all about the wording because im sorry but unlimited data is unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is this, verizon either sets a limit to bandwidth or quit calling it unlimited because its not unlimited. Its all about the wording because im sorry but unlimited data is unlimited data.

verizon does not limit the amount of data you use, if you use it by their terms which were agreed to by both sides at signup. show me one instance where someone was charged extra for data use (even data use that wasn't agreed to by both sides) and I'll concede. until you can do that, you're just speaking without any evidence at all.

mccliment13

Reaction score
By the way if it cost me another 20 per month for unlimited hotshot I would pay it but verizon chooses set a ridiculous limit with the hotshot, people are tethering so they can game online and use their laptops at hotel cause the hotel connection is horrible. Verizon get a unlimited tether plan!

xan

Reaction score
How much did DSL and cable data prices go up after they did away with "the one PC per household only" business model?

TV providers should really start charing a $20 fee for watching shows on a DVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.