Verizon Refuses to Change Stance on Google Wallet; Claims 'Not Blocking it' to FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzw-google-nexus-no-google-wallet.png

Nearly two years have passed and nothing has been resolved regarding the potentially illegal blocking of Google Wallet by Verizon for phones on their network. In December of 2011, we shared that Verizon forced Google not to include Google Wallet on the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. At the time, Verizon claimed the reason was because Google Wallet presented a security issue that Verizon wasn't comfortable with. Industry speculation suggested the real reason because Verizon didn't want Google Wallet competing for consumers' attention on their phones because they were launching their own mobile payment system called ISIS.

Things didn't progress very quickly beyond that. In December of 2012 (a full year later), we wrote a follow-up article in which more details were laid out. Verizon responded to the complaints by claiming Google Wallet was a security risk because it needed direct access to the secure element of the device. This was pointed out by several folks in the industry as blatant hypocrisy because Verizon's own ISIS payment app also requires the same access to the secure element of the device.

Several C Block violation complaints with the FCC have been filed accusing Verizon of blocking Google Wallet, yet five months later almost nothing has been resolved. Now Verizon is simply sticking to its guns and refuses to change their stance on the issue. In fact, they recently sent a response to the FCC claiming ”Verizon Wireless does not block applications.” What is really sneaky about this is that it is "technically" true. Verizon didn't block the application from being on their device. Instead they insisted that Google block the application. Ultimately, it obviously boils down to the same thing, and should be investigated by the FCC, but for some reason they are dragging their feet on this issue.

Ironically, neither Google Wallet nor ISIS have really "taken off" as a heavily used alternative payment method. Perhaps NFC device payments, as a concept, is still a bit ahead of its time. Additionally, there are workarounds which can get Google Wallet side-loaded onto VZW phones. Still, for the few users whom this affects, it is an issue that needs to be addressed. Also, eventually, mobile payments will start to become the norm, and this issue will need to be resolved anyway. Share your thoughts.

Source: Phandroid

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get Google Wallet to work. Specifically, I side loaded the APK, launched it, and got an error stating it wasn't supported by the carrier. It is true that the app is IDing Verizons NID and blocking access. I will post a screenshot shortly. I've been meaning to get back into this project. Alternatively, VZW has an app called ISIS which is similar to Google Wallet. The application requires that the device be un-rooted, and that you also have a special SIM called an NFC-SIM. Currently the NFC SIMs are only available in the Houston, TX, and Salt Lake City, UT markets as part of a closed trial.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Interesting Mandy.. I'm near Houston.. I'll have to see if I can get in on that... Thanx for the info...

hotice

Reaction score
It seems to me most people don't get NFC in general

I think the part of the problem is many people think of mobile payment when they think NFC. Yes, that's one use of NFC but only one and there are other uses for NFC that work now no matter who your carrier is! With the NFC on my Maxx HD on Verizon I have transferred photos and videos to a GS3 using NFC (they need to turn off the proprietary S-send or whatever and make sure Google Beam is on). I've even transferred URL's and contacts using NFC to a Lumia 920 with WinPhone 8 on AT&T.

hotice

Reaction score
I mean, I figure it's a given that Verizon blocking Google Wallet is a problem. I'm just saying use NFC people! Don't forget it's there and does things other than payment *and* can work across carriers, OS's, and hardware OEM's!!!

Josefius

Reaction score
Is it possible to get Google Wallet to function on a rooted phone running CM10? I've tried before but it errors saying something about me having a compromised phone.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I mean, I figure it's a given that Verizon blocking Google Wallet is a problem. I'm just saying use NFC people! Don't forget it's there and does things other than payment *and* can work across carriers, OS's, and hardware OEM's!!!

I agree entirely, it amuses me so many of my friends have iPhones and my friends with nfc capable phones we share things all the time, it's great.

the biggest reason these haven't taken off is a complete lack of saturation, I've not seen one single commercial or ad on using your phone to make payments. IT needs to be shown to the public as a viable alternative. it's like the old pay pass thing I had on my keybank card years ago, only a few places had the ability and the ones that did, I just grabbed my wallet and waved it over the terminal... it was great. it just wasn't widespread enough.

People also need to realize having this in your phone is safer than carrying your wallet, at least for me, if I lose my card I have to call my bank, tell them it's lost, get another card, get it sent, change ALL my information online I use with it, learn a new card number etc etc etc.

if I lose my phone, I get on my computer, send a text, make sure it isn't lost or stolen by pinging the GPS, if it is, send it an SMS and wipe the entire phone. BAM credit card info gone, the person who stole it can't use it. no need to report my card as lost or stolen.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
CJM,

That was my initial thought. I doubt it because the build.prop really doesn't have any relevance to being rooted or not. I have decompiled the APK, and I'm trying to see how they check for root. I will probably check for the carrier as well. My guess is they are using the NID to tell.

The build.prop would likely help with the unsupported device error, but maybe not the root.

I wonder if it would be as easy as editing the build prop