Super Moderator
Reaction score
some good technical info guys.
keep it coming!

*DroidForums app DOES*

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Thanks Martin, we're all happy to help!

I can answer just about any question when it relates to hardware, been a computer tech nerd since i was 7 or 8 :biggrin:

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Skull One

Reaction score
Battery life/loss from ram is a big question,

Newer...well every single upgrade of ram, from sdram all the way to the not yet(?) released ddr4, has featured better power management on-chip as well as needing lower voltages. SDRAM was running at 3.3 volts i believe, and DDR brought this down to about 2.5. DDR2 lowered the voltage to 1.9, and ddr3 can go to 1.5 volts or below. Also, the ram in phones is run at an even lower voltage, being specially made for low power platforms.

Power used is offset by the ram running at higher speeds. You will not see any difference in battery life from the ram, i dont think.

But this is purely speculation. Ask all you want, but we will not truly know until these phones are released into the wild and compared.

Without a doubt more memory will help the current Android OS design use less battery power. The 768K RAM will be at a lower power level than the 8Gig RAM used to feed programs for loading. So the less loading of application you have to do, the less power you will use. Of course this power saving is still very low because of the overall screen, 3g/4g chips and wifi power draws, but it is still a savings.

atmcgill97

Reaction score
Thunderbolt because:
-the bionic wont have any software the utilizes both cores yet
-the bionic is locked
-the bionic wont come out until way after I get my upgrade (I get it late March)
-32gb SD on the TB
-HTC has been known to do great things :)

Reaction score
Alright I have a question. Since the tb has a good amount of ram wouldn't that make the battery better than phones with lower ram?...because it could multi task easier and use less resources to start processes?

sent from my rooted nook color

Interesting question! I would like to know the answer to this as well.

PikaCane

Reaction score
Without a doubt more memory will help the current Android OS design use less battery power. The 768K RAM will be at a lower power level than the 8Gig RAM used to feed programs for loading.

768 K? Oh dear. I was hoping for at least a full MB. ;-)

Thank you all for such an educational thread!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Without a doubt more memory will help the current Android OS design use less battery power. The 768K RAM will be at a lower power level than the 8Gig RAM used to feed programs for loading.

It is 768MB Ram...

kptphalkon

Reaction score
On that note i dont think the sd card uses more power than the RAM...in fact Im almost sure of it

Skull One

Reaction score

It is 768MB Ram...

BAH!

MB - KB ... What's 1000 times larger between friends ;)

PikaCane

Reaction score
I know it was a typo, just poking a little fun. Sorry if that wasn't clear :) Thought about referencing that "quote" about 640k being enough for anybody, but couldn't quite work it.

Skull One

Reaction score
I know it was a typo, just poking a little fun. Sorry if that wasn't clear :) Thought about referencing that "quote" about 640k being enough for anybody, but couldn't quite work it.

Very clear, that's why I did BAH! I can't believe I made such a rookie mistake.

And I remember that quote as well. Of course I remember when I used to work in 64K of memory and thought "I will be able to do anything!"

banderbe

Reaction score
Thunderbolt because:
-the bionic wont have any software the utilizes both cores yet
-the bionic is locked
-the bionic wont come out until way after I get my upgrade (I get it late March)
-32gb SD on the TB
-HTC has been known to do great things :)

Seems reasonable to assume that if the XOOM tablet has an unlockable boot loader, the BIONIC will have an unlockable boot loader as well.

If so I don't see much reason to stick with the TBolt

Kack

Reaction score
Thats odd, the only time Ive had a problem with Moto camera's is certain camera apps built into different ROM's but I do know what your talking about. Me however, Ive never had an issue. Guess maybe I got lucky, but even my replacement D1 has crystal clear pics. Have to remember though too. The camera resolution wasnt designed for computer screens, just phone to phone.

this pic is great! i really have not had problems with my og droid or d2 camera! they take great pix for what they are <A PHONE>. but that pic makes me want to go fish now,

Kanibull

Reaction score
Only reason I'm not really impressed with the bionic is because there are not multithread apps to take advantage of the dual core and tbh with the way apps go, they probably wont be until apple releases a dual core device(please don't flame me bro)