T-Mobile's Un-carrier X Event Might be Unlimited Streaming for Netflix, HBO Now & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
uncarrier-x.jpg

T-Mobile's on a roll, shaking up the industry with their multiple Un-carrier initiatives. They are getting ready to hold a new event in which they will show their 10th Un-carrier concept. The industry intel straight from @evleaks suggests that this time T-Mobile plans to offer unlimited video streaming for select services like Netflix, HBO Now and more.

Their tagline promo for the upcoming event reads "We never hit pause,” so it seems plausible this rumor could be true. Of course, we will keep an eye out and let you guys know as soon as their event unfolds on November 10th. What do you folks think? Is this something that will make any new waves in the industry?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wait is this not any different then when vzw wanted a fast lane (How to Comment at the FCC on their Dumb Internet Fast Lane Idea of Net Neutrality | Android Forum at DroidForums.net )?

To be free those service providers had to have done some backroom deal. When someone tells me free I look for the fine print.

If this end up being what I think it is if I was VZW I would call bull.
Then again I could be looking at this all wrong.
No. You'll still have to pay for each service. The rumor is that tmo won't charge for the data associated with streaming content against your allowance.

They already do this with some music streaming services.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think the difference is that this promo is that you will get those services unlimited... net neutrality was to stop carriers from charging extra fees to web sites and streaming services for faster internet speed while others who don't pay the "fast lane" fee load much slower.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/...-streaming-net-neutrality-problem-john-legere

^ I brought up about the potential this could have on net neutrality and someone else wrote on a similar sentiment. I am not saying we are right but it raises the question because you know At&t and Vzw is going to do something similar except Big Red is going to bust in doing it their way (the way they wanted to do before they caught slack for it).

tumblr_lvt73eUyGH1r0frdao1_400.gif

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought I read it was capped at 480p....always gotta read the fine print with TMo

Reactions: cr6

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/...-streaming-net-neutrality-problem-john-legere

^ I brought up about the potential this could have on net neutrality and someone else wrote on a similar sentiment. I am not saying we are right but it raises the question because you know At&t and Vzw is going to do something similar except Big Red is going to bust in doing it their way (the way they wanted to do before they caught slack for it).

tumblr_lvt73eUyGH1r0frdao1_400.gif
Whoa, excellent article! A must read to understand how Legere's "binge on" really is just another level of abolishing net neutrality... promoting the big players while forcing the new & upcoming players a back seat. I get to watch Netflix all I want without using my data, why am I going to choose to check out "newflix" which will use up my precious data. We, the consumer, are truly the pawns in this game of limited data.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Whoa, excellent article! A must read to understand how Legere's "binge on" really is just another level of abolishing net neutrality... promoting the big players while forcing the new & upcoming players a back seat. I get to watch Netflix all I want without using my data, why am I going to choose to check out "newflix" which will use up my precious data. We, the consumer, are truly the pawns in this game of limited data.

I think it is a good question to ask. Unfortunately the cat is out of the bag. See when I made my point about a week ago I was not looking at T-Mobile, I was looking at the companies after T-mobile. T-mobile came out with a way to abolish contracts then Vzw and AT&T did their own version. T-mobile offered roll-over data and AT&T followed through with a half-baked roll over data deal. Im concerned about where At&t and Vzw is going to take this and how far. T-Mobile may not "charge" companies but I'm concerned about Big Blue and Big Red. They already sell space on our phones so I am not going to put it past them, especially the largest and most reliable carrier in the nation (VZW).
Then again this could all be nothing or it could be a way around all the petitions and complaints 6-7 months ago by saying "this is what the people wanted". Time will surely tell.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, you are right... time will surely tell. But certainly Vzw & At&t are going to follow suit with something. But you can bet it won't be to offer unlimited data plans. The sentence in the last paragraph of that article says it in a nutshell, "the truly simple solution is to just offer unlimited data access for everything." That really is the only way to protect net neutrality.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But video (and to much lesser extent, music) is the bulk of internet bandwidth. And a penny per GB isn't going to unduly hamper a Netflix competitor, it's the massive amount of money needed for content, and the "sweetheart" deals Netflix can get because of its bankroll and customer base.

These are not Net Neutrality issues. Tiered service and service guarantees are not, in and of themselves, unfair - it's how many industries have operated for many years. What IS unfair is price discrimination when those prices are not offered to everyone...because, I promise you, Netflix IS NOT paying MORE per GB than smaller players.