T-Mobile will begin throttling customers who use unlimited LTE data for torrents/p2p

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

T-Mobile.png

Data throttling has been a real hot topic lately and it looks like T-Mobile is joining in on the fun. :eek:

A new T-Mobile internal memo has leaked, detailing the increased enforcement of the existing Terms & Conditions regarding the allowed usage of the unlimited data access on those specific service plans, which restricts the specific activities outlined below:

“Using the Service in connection with server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients, “bots” or similar routines that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others or other applications that denigrate network capacity or functionality.“

“T-mobile has identified customers who are heavy data users and are engaged in peer-to-peer file sharing, and tethering outside of T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions (T&C). This results in a negative data network experience for T-Mobile customers. Beginning August 17, T-Mobile will begin to address customers who are conducting activities outside of T-Mobile’s T&Cs.”

The throttling is only going to affect customers on the $70 unlimited or $80 Simple Choice plans, since the newer plans already have throttling caps in place anyway.

While the above is not as severe as Big Red's planned changes for those on the older unlimited data plans, it’s important to note that carriers have always had some sort of the above language for years, yet it didn’t completely prevent such activities from taking place.

Source: TmoNews

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Considering music streaming is no longer connected to your data cap before you hit 2G...its not terrible. It looks like they are going after peer to peer and unauthorized wifi sharing only. It does suck they are doing it after they said they wouldn't.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
And P2P can all be hidden with a tunnel therefore making this threat of throttling P2P users pretty much null.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Sooo...me downloading movies with utorrent will be coming to an end??? I only download like 4-5 a month. I dont think ive broken 10gb a month....

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
No mas Human Centipede, Human Centipede II, A Serbian Tales, Bunny Game Matyrs for T-Mobile...lol...

(Yes I will be torrenting Full Sequence once the movie is made :)

Edit: I STRONGLT suggest NOT doanloadig any of the above movies especially if under 18 and anyone with a weak stomach....(though Human Centipede I wssnt really graphic..kind like original Texas Chainsaw..very little is shown)

FEED HER! FEED HER!

Martin on the other hand ...well you've been warned.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's "a serbian film", "the bunny game" and "martyrs". Good stuff!