SWYPE INSTALLATION HELP "Configured with another Device" Error & SmokedGlass Rom

mju1030

Reaction score
I had the same error messages and trouble installing the new "authorized" Swype on my Moto Droid. I uninstalled Swype, but then had to uninstall the installer apps from the first version. Started the download process from the link they emailed me, then installed the fresh update. Then had to make sure i reconfigured keyboard option--deselecting the android keyboard and checking the Swype choice, AND reconfigure the Swype prefs. Works absolutely perfectly, with a couple of improvements (like auto capitalization).

Very happy with the results.

Raegis

Reaction score
ive tried to on application manager and astro.. i dont have root explorer, is there a free version i could grab?

mju1030

Reaction score
Uninstalling Swype

BTW--I just used the "Settings-->Applications--> Manage Applications--> select and uninstall" method to remove Swype and its installer apps.

bastosero

Reaction score
ive tried to on application manager and astro.. i dont have root explorer, is there a free version i could grab?

You would need Root Explorer to mount the system folder to delete the file from there. If you also had DroidRootPro, it could be possible, but that's a paid app also. The only other way is probably by ADB. I'm not sure what the commands would be.

This is a simplification of the steps that I created. Basically, you would try to uninstall Swype by using you phone's app manager. If it did not work or you have done so already, you would then use Astro to locate all the other files linked with the previous Swype you have installed in your phone. After using Astro to do the search and locating those said files, you would then use Root Explorer, DroidRootPro, some other file manager that you can mount/unmount with, or probably by ADB to delete those files that you found in Astro. So if you can't get a hold of Root Explorer, ask around what the commands are for deleting those files you found from Astro using ADB. Just remember where those files are located once you find them with Astro.

holmes

Reaction score
"Swype Beta Installation Failed"

Im having a different issue as those listed here. I had the "trial" version I got from one of these forums & it worked fine... I loved it. then a few days ago I got a message saying " trial version had expired " or something along those words. Ive been trying to install the beta version now available from swype, followed all the steps listed at the beginning of this thread to a "T" but now when I go to run the installer, after I log in, I get this error msg... "Swype Beta Installation Failed. The ID of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com" Im running Bugless Beast v1.1. nowhere when i signed up for this beta at swype did they ask for a "Phone ID" and I am downloading the beta version for Android as far as I can tell.
Any thoughts?
Any way to run this as an .apk without goin thru swype like before?
Thanks

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Smoked Glass 5.0.1

Okay, if I'm not mistaken, Swype came included with that ROM right? So it might be in the /system folder of your phone. If you have Root Explorer or something, you can get into /system, and mount it. And then go to App, and see if you can find Swype and uninstall there...then reboot, and try uninstaling from Manage Applications

Though I'm not rooted, I think the above is probably good advice. If you got Swype as part of another download, do what you can to "uninstall" it. Then go to your SD card, beginning at "/", not "/sdcard" and search for all instances of anything that has the word "swype" in it. REMOVE THEM. Then reboot.

Then try to install legally.

bastosero

Reaction score
Im having a different issue as those listed here. I had the "trial" version I got from one of these forums & it worked fine... I loved it. then a few days ago I got a message saying " trial version had expired " or something along those words. Ive been trying to install the beta version now available from swype, followed all the steps listed at the beginning of this thread to a "T" but now when I go to run the installer, after I log in, I get this error msg... "Swype Beta Installation Failed. The ID of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com" Im running Bugless Beast v1.1. nowhere when i signed up for this beta at swype did they ask for a "Phone ID" and I am downloading the beta version for Android as far as I can tell.
Any thoughts?
Any way to run this as an .apk without goin thru swype like before?
Thanks

Yeah I heard some others with BB were having trouble installing it also, and others who do have BB installed it flawlessly. I'm not sure what it is with BB that's causing the problem to others like you since I currently use the SmokedGlass ROM. I suggest for you to register again with a different e-mail and see if that works.

holmes

Reaction score
tried two different emails... no luck.

now just lookin for the swype beta .apk so i can just run it manually to avoid all this sillyness...

anyone have the beta as an .apk?

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
tried two different emails... no luck.

now just lookin for the swype beta .apk so i can just run it manually to avoid all this sillyness...

anyone have the beta as an .apk?

Not that i know of. are you doing this from your droid? it wont let you from your computer.

holmes

Reaction score
beta swype .apk

beta swype .apk
ok... for all of you looking to avoid all the hassle...

Droid.Swype.Beta.5612.apk

the beta swype apk :icon_ banana:

thanks all for your previous replies.

bastosero

Reaction score
beta swype .apk
ok... for all of you looking to avoid all the hassle...

Droid.Swype.Beta.5612.apk

the beta swype apk :icon_ banana:

thanks all for your previous replies.

Great job! Is that confirmed working, bro? Also, do you still get the message when you reboot your phone about not for your device message?

holmes

Reaction score
confirmed

sorry... YES confirmed working... at least for the last 10min :)

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks holmes! And thanks for posting a new thread about it. hopefully everyone sees it.