SWYPE INSTALLATION HELP "Configured with another Device" Error & SmokedGlass Rom

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i saw a nice tutorial written by Bastosero (kudos to him/her) and copied and pasted for you because it got lost in the shuffle.

Steps To Install Swype Beta For SmokedGlass ROM Users and it seems to work for the ERROR message as well:

1. You will need Root Explorer and Astro

2. Go to the phone menu and go to Applications

3. Next, go to Manage applications and click the menu button on the phone

4. Choose Filter and then choose All

5. Uninstall everything in there that has Swype (even the beta installer for those that installed it already and didn't work)

6. After uninstalling Swype, open Astro

7. Click on Search for Astro and type the word "Swype" (without the parenthesis) in the search box

8. Next, click on the Show Advanced Options below the box

9. Click on the drop-down arrow to change which directory in which it will search

10. Choose "/" instead of the current "/sdcard/"

11. Put a check mark on the boxes "Include directory names" and "Search sub directories"

12. Now click on the magnifying glass icon to search

13. After a couple of seconds it will list all the directories where it has Swype files (remember all of those since you would want to delete all of those files)

14. Now, open Root Explorer (I suggest Root Explorer because you can mount and unmount from there) and go to each directory that lists all the Swype files that you need to delete (the ones you found from Astro)

15. After you have deleted everything, reboot your Droid

16. Once rebooted, open your browser and go to your e-mail that you used to sign up for the beta (I just used the stock browser)

17. Click on the link to download the Swype-Installer.apk and install it

18. After it says it's done installing, on the bottom choose Open

19. After opening it, it will prompt you to enter the e-mail and password you chose when you signed up for the beta, so sign in

20. After signing in, it should automatically download the Swype.apk file and install it also

21. After installing that, Enable it so you can use Swype, but reboot first just to make sure no other problems occur after it's done installing

This is something I copied from the swype forum:
"Configured with another Device" Error

A post from a senior engineer at swype:

Hi, I'm the Senor QA Engineer at Swype. Our records show that there was some technical difficulty for some users when installing Swype. We have since uploaded a new version of the installer and the Swype keyboard. Please delete both from your phone and try installing again from the site. If you continue to have problems, please let us know and we will attempt to correct any problems during our regular business hours on Monday.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dang...:icon_eek:

Who knew it would be this complicated to install Swype...lol that's crazy

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
lol whatever it takes to get it is my moto

Raegis

Reaction score
When i try to uninstall swype from manage applications it doesnt give me the option to, only says "clear data"?

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
When i try to uninstall swype from manage applications it doesnt give me the option to, only says "clear data"?

Go into astro file manager and uninstall it there

Raegis

Reaction score
if i try to uninstall with astro it says "Uninstall not successful".

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Smoked Glass 5.0.1

Okay, if I'm not mistaken, Swype came included with that ROM right? So it might be in the /system folder of your phone. If you have Root Explorer or something, you can get into /system, and mount it. And then go to App, and see if you can find Swype and uninstall there...then reboot, and try uninstaling from Manage Applications

bastosero

Reaction score
Here's what you do. Just click on Clear Data and force close it and follow the steps starting with where you see Astro (from the above steps).

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
nm do what bastosero said lol thanks for coming in basto...i didn't have to do this but i saw it work for many.

Raegis

Reaction score
found the swype.apk file, tried to uninstall it from there but didnt work. wont let me delete it either..

bastosero

Reaction score
found the swype.apk file, tried to uninstall it from there but didnt work. wont let me delete it either..

Where did you try to uninstall it? The Applications manager of the phone, Astro, or Root Explorer?