Switched from Blackberry.. Not sure if I'm impressed. Need help!

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would say to talk with your IT person at work. It sounds like to me that you are having problems gaining access. Where I work they have the Microsoft Exchange server locked down like the US Mint. I couldn't get the bb on it and I don't even want to bother trying putting the droid on. Maybe they changed security settings after you got the phone?

It might be different for him since he works for the Government. Don't know why since it seems all the secret information we have is being leaked anyway.;)

OP going from a Blackberry to a Droid is a learning experience. But technology wise, mail aside, there simply is no comparison of a Blackberry to a Droid. Blackberry is 20th century. Android is 21st Century.

Still I understand that mail can be an issue.

I agree, BB in my opinion handles email so much better than droid does. but the droid does everything else SOOOO much better it isnt funny. (then throw in the huge screen) I ended up using exchange and that got me closer to the BB for email but its still not the same. But i have to root to get copy/paste (which works great) but as said earlier, the longer you have a droid, the better it gets.....

epiphone74

Reaction score
I Came from storm 1 and 2 BB to the Driod X

I use OWA for exchange push email....

I use native client for email no K9 touch down etc..... get up with me and we can compare settings and get you running correctly...

speedfreeq

Reaction score
I don't know the specifics of the problems the OP is having, but I actually prefer the way the Droid handles email to my old BB. It bears saying that my company uses GApps to handle website and email hosting, which makes it pretty easy to set up on an OS issued by Google. But I've seen the corporate email in action and it's very capable once set up. Spend some time carefully setting up your SMTP server info (watch for random spaces inserted after the "."s in the addresses in particular), and making sure your SSL port settings are correct.

- from my 1GHz MIUI machine.

markdigirolamo

Reaction score
I know for a fact that Exchange Server can have security pin number set up for email. Touchdown has the option for this pin security. Have your IT person look into it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

R

RETG

I have both a BB Tour and a X. The BB, required to carry per my Federal employer is only used for work communications, and it does that job quite well. My X is personal (it replaced a personal BB Tour).

I have sat here in my recliner and tested the time it takes to receive mail on both. If I send a message to my BB, via my works email server, the BB vibrates in about five seconds. If I send an email to my X, via GMAIL, it vibrates in about five to seven seconds. So, I'm still not sure how people say BB's handle email better than the android system; so long as the person is using GMAIL (unless two seconds really means something to someone). Now, for other email providers there might be a long lag; not sure.

The only thing I can see that BB mail handles better than android is the secured part of the email.

I use K-9 mail, preferring it to the stock email program.

Phosphorous

Reaction score
I also just switched from BB and here are my frustrations, was wondering if there is a way to address these issues:

1. When I get an email, I have to press the power button, then swipe to unlock the phone, then tap on the mail app, then tap on the account that got the new email. With the BB, if I picked up the phone (out of holster) after the buzz (indicating new email), it showed me the email without doing anything.

2. My home PC (running Thunderbird) polls Cox email (my ISP) every 1 minute for new email. If I set the Droid to do this as well, I get errors because Cox seems to only allow one device to poll for email at a time. So Thunderbird puts up an error message "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.west.cox.net responded: [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again." because the Droid is polling for mail at the same time. I tried reducing the polling time to 5 minutes on the Droid and it is a little better, but it is still a frequent problem.

3. On my BB, I could set a specific notification tone for a TEXT from a certain sender that made a sound (audible ringtone) regardless of Vibrate or Silent settings. Would love to be able to do that here.

4. Battery doesn't last very long. :(

maderschramm

Reaction score
hm...
1:
you could disable the lock screen with applications offered on the market, then have your gmail app open all the time, making it appear right away for you
2:
set your home pc to poll every 5 and the droid every 1 (or adjust the settings, really you'd want two prime numbers so they never coincide)
3:
don't know about this one
4:
yup, sorry, there are ways to increase it, but with that bigger screen it's just not going to last as long, if you're really having problems you could try the extended battery.

speedfreeq

Reaction score
The plusses far outweigh the minuses. I occasionally miss having the custom SMS notification, but in reality I check them all...

Does anybody really need to have their email checked every minute? And prime numbers only matter in division...they will eventually coincide, probably within a couple hours. :)

Battery life can be increased readily by keeping the screen off unless in use, by decreasing polling frequency...

It's different. Fire up the browser & don't wait for the page to load if you have any doubts.

-from a 1.2 GHz PEv4 Droid

abcstyers

Reaction score
I too work for Uncle Sam, if you are important enought to need e-mail on your phone, they would issue a phone for it.

Phosphorous

Reaction score
The plusses far outweigh the minuses. I occasionally miss having the custom SMS notification, but in reality I check them all...

Doesn't solve my problem. I want texts from a certain source to make a sound especially at nite to wake me up. I don't want to be disturbed by any other email or texts or calls.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Handcent allows custom sms notifications.

Sent from somewhere...

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
ah, sorry, I'm an english major, not a math one :p

He's wrong anyway. They will still coincide at the multiple of the two prime numbers. Say, if you chose 3 for one and 5 for the other they would try at the same time every 15 minutes. Of course if you chose two high primes, say 17 and 13 they would only coincide every 221 minutes, about 7 times a day.

Ok, ok, it's trivial and of no help what-so-ever, but I couldn't resist.

Technoman

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just traded in my BB for a Droid x... I am fairley tech savvy, but I am getting dissapointed in some things already. I work for local gov't and they currently do not allow personal devices access to the Exchange Server. I do however have OWA (outlook web access) and was able to get my blackberry to pull/push email through that. I have not been able to do this with the droid through the Android setup or Touchdown. I'm getting dissappointed already because I was really expecting/hoping the droid to be better than the BB in most aspects... I hasve searched so many forums with no real answers to my specific issue. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

It absolutely can be done if you have a normal OWA server. I have mine setup, and get email, contacts, and calendar.

The delay is not less on my Droid X, it is actually faster since I don't have to go through the BES server with my Droid X.

When I delete email on my Droid X it is deleted immediately on the exchange server (not so much with the BB). Better support for attachments on my Droid X with Documents to Go installed.

Swype works so much better than the crappy keyboard on my BB.