Switch from RAZR to GNex?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I can't stand the Razr. It's design (to me) is hideous and it feels even worse to hold, the angles on the sides make it so awkward to hold, and the kelvar back is laughable(opinion).

It's got quality hardware, minus the screen(which is mediocre). It still has the same 3G-4G hand-off problem that all 4G phones currently have, despite what people may tell you(go check the razr forums).

It's camera is about the same as the Nexus, again mediocre.

Even when the Razr gets ICS, it will still have blur over the top of it, which will still be worse than stock ICS.

If you don't have data drops with the Nexus(I don't), it is a better device 100%. If you do run into data drop problems, it will probably drive you nuts.

The Nexus has the newer 4460 CPU and a faster(overclocked) GPU. Also has software nav buttons which can be modified to your specifications.

The screen is obviously the highlight, and stock ICS, but overall I love the look and feel of the Nexus. Every time I pick it up it feels like the first week I got it, happens every time.

People will say I'm a Nexus fanboy, but just let it be known that I used a Moto Razr flip for 6 years, then got the Moto Original Droid the day it came out and had it until the day the Nexus came out. I appreciate Motorola's build quality, but the Razr (to me) is not even in the same league with the Nexus if you enjoy playing around with your phone.

When someone asks me what phone to get on Verizon I tell them the Nexus is the best device I've ever used, but that they'll probably enjoy the Rezound or Razr or Iphone more because most people can't enjoy the never ending joy that the Nexus can bring.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'll be honest, I can't stand the Razr. It's design (to me) is hideous and it feels even worse to hold, the angles on the sides make it so awkward to hold, and the kelvar back is laughable(opinion).

It's got quality hardware, minus the screen(which is mediocre). It still has the same 3G-4G hand-off problem that all 4G phones currently have, despite what people may tell you(go check the razr forums).

Even when the Razr gets ICS, it will still have blur over the top of it, which will still be worse than stock ICS.

If you don't have data drops with the Nexus(I don't), it is a better device 100%. If you do run into data drop problems, it will probably drive you nuts.

The Nexus has the newer 4460 CPU and a faster(overclocked) GPU. Also has software nav buttons which can be modified to your specifications.

The screen is obviously the highlight, and stock ICS, but overall I love the look and feel of the Nexus. Every time I pick it up it feels like the first week I got it, happens every time.

People will say I'm a Nexus fanboy, but just let it be known that I used a Moto Razr flip for 6 years, then got the Moto Original Droid the day it came out and had it until the day the Nexus came out. I appreciate Motorola's build quality, but the Razr (to me) is not even in the same league with the Nexus if you enjoy playing around with your phone.

When someone asks me what phone to get on Verizon I tell them the Nexus is the best device I've ever used, but that they'll probably enjoy the Rezound or Razr or Iphone more because most people can't enjoy the never ending joy that the Nexus can bring.

TBH +1000! :happy3:

B

bens42608

Yeah it really seems like when the Maxx gets the OTA version of that leak, there wont be much of a reason to prefer the Gnex. Other than the screen, which for me isn't an issue either. I wonder how good some people's vision must be for them to distinguish that much of a difference. Sure text is a bit sharper on the Gnex, but overall aren't we just being a bit nit-picky?

+1 once other phones have ics the gnex will have nothing going for it. Even with gingerbread, the maxx is so much sexier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
+1 once other phones have ics the gnex will have nothing going for it. Even with gingerbread, the maxx is so much sexier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Besides pure Ice Cream Sandwich (unskinned), which is how Google intended for the software to be.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail

The design of the Razr, and all of Moto's current new 4G phones, is absolutely hideous. What is the reasoning behind the huge gap on the sides? The design alone completely turned both my brother and I off to the phone. That aside, the Nexus is the best phone I have ever owned. I had the original Moto Droid, then went to the Droid X. Both Moto phones, mind you. I have no complaints about those two phones, except the locked bootloader on the X. You can't go wrong with the cleanness of ICS on the Nexus. Pure vanilla and it can't be beaten. Blur is ugly as well, which is why I always had Blurless ROMs on my X. As many others have said, the customization options on the GNex are endless pretty much, and will continue to be that way. The screen is beautiful, and if you are into rooting, can be made more beautiful with the color and gamma tweaks that are vastly abound these days.

The only reason I use all these "non-phone" points is because, in my experience, I have had zero issues with my Nexus being a phone alongside all these other perks. But the fact of the matter is, if you are looking for something to simply be a phone and that's it, the Razr is probably sufficient for you.

Last edited:

Apex89

Reaction score
Yeah, I realize I'm fighting a losing battle here. You all keep bringing up Motoblur, which I understand in the past has been bad, but if you've seen the screens from the new leak, it doesn't look bad. I understand though that it is still not pure ICS.

And it is funny to me that you guys are knocking the design of the RAZR. It is a bit awkward, but the Maxx is balanced so much better and feels way less awkward. On top of that, I would much rather have a metal phone with a kevlar backing than ANY Samsung phone with its cheap plastic back. And lets not forget that even with its somewhat muted colors, the Maxx's camera is 8 mp, compared to the Gnex's 5.

I do however wish I had those software nav buttons. Those are nice, but I'll gladly sacrifice those for a phone that I never have to worry about battery life. never.

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Yeah, I realize I'm fighting a losing battle here. You all keep bringing up Motoblur, which I understand in the past has been bad, but if you've seen the screens from the new leak, it doesn't look bad. I understand though that it is still not pure ICS.

And it is funny to me that you guys are knocking the design of the RAZR. It is a bit awkward, but the Maxx is balanced so much better and feels way less awkward. On top of that, I would much rather have a metal phone with a kevlar backing than ANY Samsung phone with its cheap plastic back. And lets not forget that even with its somewhat muted colors, the Maxx's camera is 8 mp, compared to the Gnex's 5.

I do however wish I had those software nav buttons. Those are nice, but I'll gladly sacrifice those for a phone that I never have to worry about battery life. never.

I agree 100%. Maxx is by far the best phone I have ever owned. Very balanced great screen and battery life through the whole day without a charge. No modification needed. And ICS on the leak is an awesome combo of blur pure. I can't wait for the official.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Yea that metal build really helps the screen not to shatter when dropped! :p On the camera, I bet no one could tell which pic came from which phone.

GoBears

Reaction score
I had the Razr, the Rezound and the Nexus. My personal choice was the Nexus. Its just so much more fun to use and I don't have any signal issues at all. Try them all and pick your favorite. Also I absolutely hated the charge port being on top of the phone. Good luck and have fun!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

MP's don't matter.

The Razr is not all metal, watch a video of it being taken apart, the "tough kevlar" back flops off like a fish.

And the Nexus feels nothing like previous Samsung devices.

amydaveg

Reaction score
Just got a nexus and traded in my razr because Motorola would not work with my active sync email. I am not having that problem with the nexus. I think the signal strength was better with the razr.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail

In all honesty though, how many stories do you hear about the body of the phone breaking/cracking? Whether plastic or "metal," the only thing you'll have to worry about breaking or cracking on most phones is the screen. Tgyberg said it best, no amount of kevlar anywhere on a phone is going to prevent the screen from shattering. The Nexus is built just fine in my opinion. It is a bit slippery, but it's light and sleek as well. I guess for me, build "quality" is the last deciding factor, because as I said, I don't expect the body of any phone of any build quality to be a breaking concern. If build quality is important to you, then yes, the Razr is probably your phone.

B

bens42608

In all honesty though, how many stories do you hear about the body of the phone breaking/cracking? Whether plastic or "metal," the only thing you'll have to worry about breaking or cracking on most phones is the screen. Tgyberg said it best, no amount of kevlar anywhere on a phone is going to prevent the screen from shattering. The Nexus is built just fine in my opinion. It is a bit slippery, but it's light and sleek as well. I guess for me, build "quality" is the last deciding factor, because as I said, I don't expect the body of any phone of any build quality to be a breaking concern. If build quality is important to you, then yes, the Razr is probably your phone.

no offense man, but these are the best of the best devices we're talking about here. "Superphones". They're not just the bare essentials of what you need in a phone otherwise you could just get a minute phone. These things cost a lot of money and they're extremely competitive. It's like looking at a ferrari that can only go 100 mph and someone saying hey, when are you really gonna go faster than that? If anything, the most important factor is gas mileage. While this might be true for a person buying a dumbphone, or a prius, we are talking about Superphones here. In this market of extremely competitive smartphones everything is a factor that goes into play from the hardware to the software especially with a phone with the name recognition caliber of a nexus. It's like a lamborghini coming out with a 6-cylinder. It might be fine but nobody is gonna wanna drop their savings to get one, you know what i mean? Ur actually probably 100% correct in your logic but frankly nowadays the way things work doesn't have much to do with logic. It's just supply and demand that drives everything :icon_ devil:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

[video=youtube;bc5JjPU4Xh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5JjPU4Xh0[/video]

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
Lots of really helpful information in here (like I said, I'm very knowledgeable on Android stuff, but lurkers and newbies could get a great education on the differences between these two devices by reading the great posts in here).

I've decided to stick with the RAZR. My modding days are over, so I went with the one I think will work best for me in stock form. If I were going to ROM or needed the latest OS first, there would be no other choice than the Nexus; really, I guess I couldn't make a "bad" decision since they're both awesome. In the end, I didn't see anything the Nexus would net me (again, for my usage) and the RAZR had a few things that would provide a material benefit to me (slightly better camera, slightly better radios, splash proof, and sd card).

I'll probably regret it come Jelly Bean time! :-D

-Sliced from my RAZR