suggestions?

newbroot83

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion on the best and safest way to create a full backup of my razr maxx. Just in case it ever gers bricked....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
If not rooted: MyBackupPro, if rooted, Titanium Backup. Which I am sure Sherri was going to say ...

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
I am rooted, but i am not familiar with titanium. I have used droid bootstrap, and it worked for my dx but not my dx2. Same process?

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
Do i have to buy the full version to get the full backup? And will it work if my phone gets bricked?

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
Ok i figured out how to backup, and i did the update.zip folder, but how can i verify the file? I have it on my sd card, but its a relatively small file. I chose edify, system apps, and update.zip. Will this file bring my phone back up if it crashes or is there more i need to do?

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
If not rooted: MyBackupPro, if rooted, Titanium Backup. Which I am sure Sherri was going to say ...

Actually, no....well, sort of...In order to do a FULL backup (apk's/data/SMS/call logs.... everything) you must be rooted. My Backup Pro will backup without being rooted, but not data and settings.

Do i have to buy the full version to get the full backup? And will it work if my phone gets bricked?

The free version of TiBu will back up everything, but the added features of the pro version make it worthwhile. The batch restore feature alone is worth it. Otherwise, you are restoring every application and data of that application individually. Also, paid version allows backup to your DropBox account.

As far as working if your phone gets bricked, well ...you have to be able to power phone on with an operating system. You can" restore" the phone using Matt's Utility, and once it is functional, use TiBu to restore set up, data, apps, etc...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Idaho_G

Reaction score
I find I am having the same questions about my phone. I don't have it rooted but I want to root it. Being a long time windows user, I have a instant distrust of downloading a script file to re-write my phone in hopes of gaining root access, but actually turning it into an expensive brick, unable to do anything more than power up. In windows, I simply had to make an image of my hard drive before I experimented. I haven't found the equivalent for my phone. I am about to just go for it, and have the warranty number and a white lie ready in case it doesn't work, unless someone has a better idea.

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
I find I am having the same questions about my phone. I don't have it rooted but I want to root it. Being a long time windows user, I have a instant distrust of downloading a script file to re-write my phone in hopes of gaining root access, but actually turning it into an expensive brick, unable to do anything more than power up. In windows, I simply had to make an image of my hard drive before I experimented. I haven't found the equivalent for my phone. I am about to just go for it, and have the warranty number and a white lie ready in case it doesn't work, unless someone has a better idea.

The purpose of using titanium backup or bootstrap is in case you soft brick your phone, or put a rom in that you dont quite want. Basically it copies your whole system so you can revert back to it of you manage to screw it up. I have bricked a couple of phones, and used an sbf file to bring one of them back up. In using these programs i should be able to avoid using an sbf file, as long as i have everything backed up to my sd card. If you launch recovery mode, youll see an item that says apply an update from sd card. I am trying to put a full backup on my sd card so that if it breaks, i can get into recovery and pull the old settings back up without having to jump through hoops to get it working again

Idaho_G

Reaction score
The purpose of using titanium backup or bootstrap is in case you soft brick your phone, or put a rom in that you dont quite want. Basically it copies your whole system so you can revert back to it of you manage to screw it up. I have bricked a couple of phones, and used an sbf file to bring one of them back up. In using these programs i should be able to avoid using an sbf file, as long as i have everything backed up to my sd card. If you launch recovery mode, youll see an item that says apply an update from sd card. I am trying to put a full backup on my sd card so that if it breaks, i can get into recovery and pull the old settings back up without having to jump through hoops to get it working again

If I am correctly reading what you typed, Titanium Backup will essentially make an image of my phone and store it on my SD card? What if I did a backup and then a FDR, reverting back to Ice Cream Sandwich and ran the restore for Titanium Backup? Would it put my phone back to Jellybean and restore my software and settings to when I did the initial backup? Keep in mind I do not have root access now, but as long as this backup restores Jellybean and my apps then I have no worries.

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
If I am correctly reading what you typed, Titanium Backup will essentially make an image of my phone and store it on my SD card? What if I did a backup and then a FDR, reverting back to Ice Cream Sandwich and ran the restore for Titanium Backup? Would it put my phone back to Jellybean and restore my software and settings to when I did the initial backup? Keep in mind I do not have root access now, but as long as this backup restores Jellybean and my apps then I have no worries.

Keep in mind i am pretty fresh at this myself, but that is the way it is supposed to work. Some of the more senior guys would be able to give you alot more info, but essentially thats it. The only part i dont believe is true is the part about about reverting back to ics. Im assuming you upgraded to jb on an ota upgrade. If you factory reset, it is still gonna be on jb because the system was over written unless you did a backup while on ics. If, however, you were on ics and did a backup, then installed a jb rom, and decided you no longer wanted it or it wasnt working properly, then you could use the back up to restore the ics. This would also work if you backed up then did the ota update. As stated earlier on the posts though, titanium only works if rooted. Rooting razrs is really simple though. There is a gui someone made that you basically plug in your phone to your pc and hit enter in the cmd prompt.

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
Actually, no....well, sort of...In order to do a FULL backup (apk's/data/SMS/call logs.... everything) you must be rooted. My Backup Pro will backup without being rooted, but not data and settings.

The free version of TiBu will back up everything, but the added features of the pro version make it worthwhile. The batch restore feature alone is worth it. Otherwise, you are restoring every application and data of that application individually. Also, paid version allows backup to your DropBox account.

As far as working if your phone gets bricked, well ...you have to be able to power phone on with an operating system. You can" restore" the phone using Matt's Utility, and once it is functional, use TiBu to restore set up, data, apps, etc...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Sherri. I think my one big question is this: lets say my phone is soft bricked. I can get to recovery, and i have everything backed up to my sd card. Using the update.zip file, can i get past the soft brick and make the phone boot up so i can add everything back using titanium. I guess i should really call it boot loop instead of brick, but from my limited experience, its the same thing

Idaho_G

Reaction score
Keep in mind i am pretty fresh at this myself, but that is the way it is supposed to work. Some of the more senior guys would be able to give you alot more info, but essentially thats it. The only part i dont believe is true is the part about about reverting back to ics. Im assuming you upgraded to jb on an ota upgrade. If you factory reset, it is still gonna be on jb because the system was over written unless you did a backup while on ics. If, however, you were on ics and did a backup, then installed a jb rom, and decided you no longer wanted it or it wasnt working properly, then you could use the back up to restore the ics. This would also work if you backed up then did the ota update. As stated earlier on the posts though, titanium only works if rooted. Rooting razrs is really simple though. There is a gui someone made that you basically plug in your phone to your pc and hit enter in the cmd prompt.

I did a OTA upgrade to JB and I thought doing a FDR put it back to stock software, which in this case is ICS. Am I incorrect? If so, can I not root my Maxx HD?

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
Idaho
It looks like there is a method some have used to root it on phandroid. Its a little quirky, but seems simple