suggestions?

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you did the OTA to Jelly Bean, you can NOT go back to ICS.. If you were rooted on ICS, there was a method to dual boot into the 2 different kernels, but once you did the OTA (without using the dual boot utility), you are on JB.

At one point, when the "leaked" JB kernel came out, there was an issue with maintaining root. However, since then, root has been achieved on JB.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

moset

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion on the best and safest way to create a full backup of my razr maxx. Just in case it ever gers bricked....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

To the initial post. I'm pretty sure there is no way to back up your system (operating system/firmware).
You can "brick" by messing with those files if you don't know what you're doing, and even if you do sometimes.
There are files from Moto (SBF) that may restore your OS if things go wrong but as far as I know they are not available for JB. Because of the locked bootloader the kernel cannot be changed without the "key" which Moto holds.
So, there is no "backup" you can do to prevent bricking your phone.
As far as I know there also no way back to ICS from JB.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
To the initial post. I'm pretty sure there is no way to back up your system (operating system/firmware).
You can "brick" by messing with those files if you don't know what you're doing, and even if you do sometimes.
There are files from Moto (SBF) that may restore your OS if things go wrong but as far as I know they are not available for JB. Because of the locked bootloader the kernel cannot be changed without the "key" which Moto holds.
So, there is no "backup" you can do to prevent bricking your phone.
As far as I know there also no way back to ICS from JB.

Im not looking to keep from bricking. All im looking for is something like a nandroid backup. If i do something, and dont like it or i lose some availability on my phone, i would like to basically have a restore point. Im not sure if i am conveying what i mean correctly....

The whole reason i want this is because i was using bootstrap to create a backup on an x2, and it went into bootloop. If i had made a backup (nandroid I believe its called) i would have simply been able to load that backup and wouldnt have lost the phone.

moset

Reaction score
Ahhh!
I think things have changed. There are many far more learned than I.
I've been much more cautious since the days of Og Droid.

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
Ahhh!
I think things have changed. There are many far more learned than I.
I've been much more cautious since the days of Og Droid.

Definitely not this guy. I am trying to learn though. I have been clocking in hour upon hour trying to find a good way to do this. :(

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK...you said you are rooted. How did you root the phone? If you used Matt's Utility, he included a "custom" recovery. Do you have a custom ROM on the phone?

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
OK...you said you are rooted. How did you root the phone? If you used Matt's Utility, he included a "custom" recovery. Do you have a custom ROM on the phone?

I used eprj easy root ics. I am not running a rom. My phone is stock ics. I am not planning on putting a rom on it just yet.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly never heard of that root method.... Did that come with a recovery?

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge it did not. It is a one step root method. Basically a plug and play for dummies like me. Simple to unroot as well. Just go through the su app and unroot.

I was using titanium to to make my backup cause ive had bad luck with droid bootstrap 2

File name for the root method is:
eprj_easyrootics_multios_v1.5

its easy to find and easy to use. Type that in to your search engine and itll pull right up

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
If I am correctly reading what you typed, Titanium Backup will essentially make an image of my phone and store it on my SD card? What if I did a backup and then a FDR, reverting back to Ice Cream Sandwich and ran the restore for Titanium Backup? Would it put my phone back to Jellybean and restore my software and settings to when I did the initial backup? Keep in mind I do not have root access now, but as long as this backup restores Jellybean and my apps then I have no worries.

Ignore this. I didn't realize there was three pages of stuff and was trying to answer something on page one Lol

Idaho_G

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I really thought doing a FDR would revert back to ICS. I almost did it because I misunderstood a guide that was written on here. Good think I sought clarification! Maybe I should e mail whoever wrote it and have them add clarification for Android noobs

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I really thought doing a FDR would revert back to ICS. I almost did it because I misunderstood a guide that was written on here. Good think I sought clarification! Maybe I should e mail whoever wrote it and have them add clarification for Android noobs

I agree. I hate having to dig for hours only to find what I wanted to do actually isnt possible. im a noob myself, but ill gladly help whoever i can. One thing i love about these forums is if you're wrong, someone will let you know.

OP
newbroot83

newbroot83

Reaction score
So does anyone know if tibu will work for this or do i have to use bootstrap?

moset

Reaction score
So does anyone know if tibu will work for this or do i have to use bootstrap?

I'm not clear what your question is, but tibu requires a functioning operating system to run. It will restore some system settings but not the OS, kennel, or radio.
Tibu is an app. It has to have something to run on.