Suddenly Running slow today out of nowhere

minger

Reaction score
I love my Sapphire install. Between this and LF1.5, both with Compcache and Slayher's 800mhz kernels, my phone has been running awesome. Stays cool, great battery life (light usage will get me ~30% drain over 16 hours). However, today on my Sapphire 1.1 it began to run slow out of nowhere, and I've had this for ~a week (with the occasional playing around with other roms then Nandroid restore).

Basically, today a few hours ago it just began to run realy slow, kind of like what some other kernels at 125mhz would run at. Never had an issue with this though, as with the interactive governer even at 125mhz waking, the phone normally runs fine...any ideas what would be causing this? Nothing has changed on the phone in the last week or so...basic browsing, exchange, tweetdeck and thats about it. SetCPU downclocks to 125 when sleeping, but it will stay that slow sometimes for up to 4-5 minutes now.

Armyof2

Reaction score
I love my Sapphire install. Between this and LF1.5, both with Compcache and Slayher's 800mhz kernels, my phone has been running awesome. Stays cool, great battery life (light usage will get me ~30% drain over 16 hours). However, today on my Sapphire 1.1 it began to run slow out of nowhere, and I've had this for ~a week (with the occasional playing around with other roms then Nandroid restore).

Basically, today a few hours ago it just began to run realy slow, kind of like what some other kernels at 125mhz would run at. Never had an issue with this though, as with the interactive governer even at 125mhz waking, the phone normally runs fine...any ideas what would be causing this? Nothing has changed on the phone in the last week or so...basic browsing, exchange, tweetdeck and thats about it. SetCPU downclocks to 125 when sleeping, but it will stay that slow sometimes for up to 4-5 minutes now.

I've heard clearing the Davlik cache can sometimes help with these slowdowns but not sure it'll help or not

leftbrain99

Reaction score
What exactly IS the process of "clearing the Davlik cache"? Lots of people talk about it, but I've yet to see instructions on how to do it.

Armyof2

Reaction score
What exactly IS the process of "clearing the Davlik cache"? Lots of people talk about it, but I've yet to see instructions on how to do it.

In clock work it's under the advanced menu option when you boot into recovery don't know what it is in spr

leftbrain99

Reaction score
OK - I don't use CW, but surely there's a command line method. Anyone?

Deuel

Reaction score
OK - I don't use CW, but surely there's a command line method. Anyone?

Use this from Terminal Emulator:

su
sysrw
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
sysro

Then reboot. This boot will take longer than usual.

Last edited:

Deuel

Reaction score
You may want to check out CacheMate from the market. The free version will let you clear all caches on demand. The Paid version will run on a schedule and at boot. It's kept my Droid flying when I stay on a ROM for a while.

racketier

Reaction score
Should I be clearing my dalvik-cache on a schedule? Or just when my phone seems to start slowing down?

Deuel

Reaction score
Should I be clearing my dalvik-cache on a schedule? Or just when my phone seems to start slowing down?

Only when you feel it will help. Any time you flash a new ROM, the cache is created on first boot. The increased activity following a new ROM flash builds the cache quickly. Just clear it a few days after a new ROM is installed and you should be good to go for quite a while.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will delete the entire dalvic-cache folder every few weeks and then reboot, it does make a difference, especially if you install and uninstall a lot of different applications

meishkov

Reaction score
I will delete the entire dalvic-cache folder every few weeks and then reboot, it does make a difference, especially if you install and uninstall a lot of different applications

Your referring to the dalvik-cache folder that's in /data right?? When I opened terminal emulator yesterday to try this, I don't have a /system/SD/dalvik-cache folder. I'm running simply stunning 4.7 so I guess that's the reason??

So you just deleted the whole folder using root explorer or something? Doing that "rm *" command in /data/dalvik-cache has helped my phone a lot in the last 24 hours or so. Judging it by when I open messaging all the threads will usually load with the contacts names, where as before it would just load all their phone #s then after a few seconds would switch to my contact's names. Just seems quicker....wish there was some way to make this permanent.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do use Root Explorer to do this (well worth the few dollars) and the folder is in data

meishkov

Reaction score
That's what I figured, since I went through like every folder looking for another dalvik-cache folder lol. I bought cachemate months ago, and had no idea that it included options to clear at boot, and to clear it on a schedule. VERY useful I must say. Having it clear cache every 6 hours should help out quite a bit I'm thinking....and hoping.:)