Blazing fast for a while, then slows to a crawl?

Oliver84

Reaction score
I don't think this is a specific issue with Sapphire because I seem to get it with almost every ROM I've tried. The issue is that when I have the ROM freshly installed, it runs super fast. It's smooth, no lag, and everything's really snappy. Until about a week or 2. After a couple of weeks, things start getting slow. Slow responses and the phone starts to lock up. This is what's happening to me right now. I've been running Sapphire 1.0 for about 2 weeks now with no problems. I loved the ROM but now it's so painfully slow that I can't take it. I can barely use the camera because 9 times out of 10 it'll freeze up on me. Menu's come up painfully slow in the phone itself. I've tried clearing my cache and that didn't do anything. I have the stock Kernel, which is suppose to be stable. I thought it was because I didn't have compcache enabled so I enabled compcache but it'd didn't seem to do much. The only solution I've found to this is installing a fresh ROM again. It could be the same ROM or any other ROM but after installing a fresh ROM I get a snappy phone again, for about 2 weeks...

There's gotta be something that can be done here. Either I'm doing something wrong or all these ROM's have some sort of memory leak that nobody's figured out yet. Does anyone have any input on this?

jayman350

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and someone recommended clearing the dalvik cache. If you are using ClockworkMod, reboot into recovery, go to advanced, clear dalvik cache, reboot.

It definitely cleared up a lot of the lagginess issues I was having, may or may not work for you.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I had a similar problem and someone recommended clearing the dalvik cache. If you are using ClockworkMod, reboot into recovery, go to advanced, clear dalvik cache, reboot.

It definitely cleared up a lot of the lagginess issues I was having, may or may not work for you.

Wasn't exactly sure what that would do. Is all your data still there when your reboot after clearing dalvik cache?

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
After clearing your cache the only thing you should notice is that it will take much longer to boot up the first time because the phone has to rebuild the cache. As far as your data, everything will still be there. This doesn't affect any settings or applications at all so it won't hurt anything to try it out to see if it will speed things up for ya :)

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
After clearing your cache the only thing you should notice is that it will take much longer to boot up the first time because the phone has to rebuild the cache. As far as your data, everything will still be there. This doesn't affect any settings or applications at all so it won't hurt anything to try it out to see if it will speed things up for ya :)

Cool - thanks. I'll keep this in mind because I have ha a similar experience as the OP. I just flashed the BETA version of Sapphire 1.0.5, so I should be good for a couple of weeks :tongue:

nygrik

Reaction score

Cool - thanks. I'll keep this in mind because I have ha a similar experience as the OP. I just flashed the BETA version of Sapphire 1.0.5, so I should be good for a couple of weeks :tongue:

/hijack (sorry) how'd you get into the beta? i dont mind being a guinea pig if they need more testers :)

EnJoY

Reaction score
I was having the same issues, even with Sapphire 1.0, despite it not being as bad as other rom's I had tried.

Ever since I switched to the 1GHz LV rom from the 1.1GHz sv rom it's maintained it's speed a lot longer.

From that, I gather that my home is happier running at 1GHz rather than 1.1GHz. When a cpu is overclocked too far, it will throw out errors here and there that over time will cause system files to become corrupt, fragmented and slow. I believe that's what happens to these roms.

kevdog

Reaction score
Same here in my experience. Currently running cm6 for last several days -- no slow downs -- thus far.

slainte0317

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with Sapphire 1.0. Tried different Kernels. Also tried a complete reload, seems to help for a while. I did the dalvik cache route, and yes it seems to fix it, but it also doesn't seem to last as long before it starts to slow down again. Thinking about trying another ROM, but it sounds like this could be an issue with many ROMs.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
I'm thinking this has to do with that memory leak issue that has been brought up a few times. I don't think this issue was every resolved. If you look back at the history of all these ROM's you see a repeating cycle. New ROM comes out, people love it, say it's the fastest yet, then you don't hear much about it until a new build comes out. They reload it and say it's "So much faster now" when really all they're doing is basically a reset of the memory.

After a certain amount of time (can be up to a month at times) the memory leaks and slows down the phone considerably.

I've sadly had to resort to stock Froyo 2.2 because I need my phone to be reliable and also to test this memory leak theory. Motorola is paying their programmers a ton of money to make a decent ROM so I'd assume their stock ROM doesn't suffer from these memory leak issues that our developers can't seem to have figured out yet...

slainte0317

Reaction score
@ Oliver84 - Yep, that is what I thought. Are you running stock 2.2 rooted? I like some of the funtionality of being rooted, and quite honestly, a black bar theme is all I really need. Thinking of going stock myself.

wingdo

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with Sapphire 1.0. Tried different Kernels. Also tried a complete reload, seems to help for a while. I did the dalvik cache route, and yes it seems to fix it, but it also doesn't seem to last as long before it starts to slow down again. Thinking about trying another ROM, but it sounds like this could be an issue with many ROMs.

Try disabling compcache if you have it running. A number of people (including myself) notice slow downs after a while when using the cache. I just avoid it and am much happier.

slainte0317

Reaction score

Try disabling compcache if you have it running. A number of people (including myself) notice slow downs after a while when using the cache. I just avoid it and am much happier.

Thanks wingdo, I am running compcache, but I think that is what fixed (at least in my case and seemingly others) the screen redraws. Did you have redraw issues? Any chance you have a different solution for that?