Suddenly Running slow today out of nowhere

wingdo

Reaction score
OK - I don't use CW, but surely there's a command line method. Anyone?

Use this from Terminal Emulator:

su
sysrw
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
sysro

Then reboot. This boot will take longer than usual.

/data is already r/w so those steps are not needed, and you should reboot right after cleaning out the cache. Best steps from a terminal window are:

su
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
reboot

bada-bing. And yes, the first reboot will take some time as the cache rebuilds.

wingdo

Reaction score
Having it clear cache every 6 hours should help out quite a bit I'm thinking....and hoping.:)

If you are talking about clearing dalvik-cache every six hours that is a very bad idea. That's where the JIT compiled versions of your programs reside. Every time it gets cleared, it'll have to rebuild the cache from scratch (that's why you should restart after clearing).

meishkov

Reaction score
Having it clear cache every 6 hours should help out quite a bit I'm thinking....and hoping.:)

If you are talking about clearing dalvik-cache every six hours that is a very bad idea. That's where the JIT compiled versions of your programs reside. Every time it gets cleared, it'll have to rebuild the cache from scratch (that's why you should restart after clearing).

No not dalvik-cache every 6 hours. Just cachemate for root users..., usually frees up about 4-10MB of space after a few hours of moderate use. I don't plan on clearing that dalvik-cache folder in terminal emulator very often...probably never again if my phone just stays the way it is right now. Yea I got a little worried at how long it took to boot up to the home screen after the boot animation.

wingdo

Reaction score
I love my Sapphire install. Between this and LF1.5, both with Compcache and Slayher's 800mhz kernels, my phone has been running awesome. Stays cool, great battery life (light usage will get me ~30% drain over 16 hours). However, today on my Sapphire 1.1 it began to run slow out of nowhere, and I've had this for ~a week (with the occasional playing around with other roms then Nandroid restore).

Basically, today a few hours ago it just began to run realy slow, kind of like what some other kernels at 125mhz would run at. Never had an issue with this though, as with the interactive governer even at 125mhz waking, the phone normally runs fine...any ideas what would be causing this? Nothing has changed on the phone in the last week or so...basic browsing, exchange, tweetdeck and thats about it. SetCPU downclocks to 125 when sleeping, but it will stay that slow sometimes for up to 4-5 minutes now.

You may want to try disabling compcache if you are still having issues. I used to have speed issues after a while, but disabling compcache seemed to solve that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

meishkov

Reaction score
Man, this is how my phone was suppose to be running all along. Can't believe uninstalling advanced task killer, clearing that dalvik-cache folder in terminal emulator and having cachemate scheduled every 6 hours would be the solution. Thank God I found this thread....and forum for that matter.:)