Google Navigation causing a reboot crash?

Diab210

Reaction score
I have been using Sapphire 1.0 since it's release and its been running very smoothly for the last couple of weeks. However when using the navigation app it will occasionally force my phone to reboot. Today while driving it reboot the phone however instead of just rebooting the the homescreen it got stuck mid boot and froze... had to take the battery out and reboot it twice before it came back but now that it is its fine.

Are there known issues with google navigation and sapphire or has anyone else experienced this? Both times my phone was plugged into the USB socket in my car to maintain its charge however I never had this issue until switching to Sapphire. I have had similar issues when the battery dies. When I plug it in it boots up, gets to the homescreen, dies, boots up again, gets to the homescreen, dies - rinse and repeat. I had to use recovery to the stock 2.2 rom I was using when I first rooted to get it to stay on and charge... was very odd. I am wondering if its related to the recommended overclock kernel that comes with Sapphire 1.0

Reaction score
This happened to my gf's phone this weekend. It wasn't plugged into a charger though, just in the car mount. We just ended up not using it. I thought it was just her phone. We are both running 250-1000 mv from the cvpcs site. I haven't had this problem on my phone and they are almost identical as far as Rom, theme and OC kernel. No idea what causes it but it's really annoying. She also had problems with the stock browser just randomly closeing on her. But again after rebooting a few times it's ok so far.

bcserl

Reaction score
I had a similar problem but my battery had died although I had it charging through the car charger. The cord was in but the vibration from the vehicle had it charging intermittently. Charge icon was on but and I noticed it slightly flickering and eventually killed the battery and it starting rebooting over and over.

knuckles562

Reaction score
I also had this happen to me. I found that dropping the clock speed to 800 before starting navigation fixes this problem. For some reason it causes instability at higher clock speeds.

OP
Diab210

Diab210

Reaction score
How are you changing the clock speed without installing a different kernal? (yea... probably a noob question)

Reaction score
I also had this happen to me. I found that dropping the clock speed to 800 before starting navigation fixes this problem. For some reason it causes instability at higher clock speeds.

Thanks for the tip. Next road trip we'll try that.

I use setcpu for oc'ing not the built in program.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cc2iscool

Reaction score
Navigation tends to use a ton of CPU.

Not to mention you have the GPS on, and then you have your 3G cranking away downloading your maps. Likely the unit is just getting a little too hot. You could always just setup a temperature throttle on SetCPU to alleviate it.

crdnilfan

Reaction score
I agree that it's a heat issue. I believe (and maybe I'm mistaken) that there is hardware encoded safety measures built in that deal with heat. One of them involves rebooting the phone.

Though before using navigation I clock down to 550 MHz, I still notice it reboot every once in a while.

ss13

Reaction score
I had this happen to me once. I was in the Market. I guess it could have been hot since I was just using it tether for internet for about an hour and was using pretty much non-stop after that. But it was the first and only hiccup I had with Sapphire. I am loving this ROM.

BTW I am using kernel that came with the ROM and the CPU speed that was already set.