Sapphire 1.1.1 kernel causes freeze turning on WiFi? (stock FRG22D)

SDraconis

Reaction score
[Solved] Sapphire 1.1.1 kernel causes freeze turning on WiFi? (stock FRG22D)

First thing to note is that I'm using stock FRG22D rooted via MotoCache1's method rather than a custom ROM. I'm currently just trying out different kernels.

I ran the stock kernel at 125-800 for a little bit, and have been running Slayher's 900LV kernel for the past few days. I tried switching to cvpcs's 125-800LV kernel but had a freeze a minute in when I tried to turn on WiFi. Tried to reboot, but then froze up at the lock screen so I went back to Slayher's for the day. I'm assuming this freeze was due to WiFi already being on from the last attempt?

Tonight I tried going to the SV version of that kernel to verify it's not a voltage issue. Things were running fine for a few minutes, but then froze up again when turning on WiFi. Again tried to reboot but was frozen at the lock screen (again assuming because WiFi was already turned on?).

Are there known issues with cvpcs's kernels for Sapphire 1.1.1, or do you guys think it's because I'm trying to run them with stock FRG22D rather than actually installing the Sapphire ROM? I know it's theoretically possible to configure a kernel such that it won't work on a stock ROM (ex: configuring something as a module when the stock OS expects it to be in the kernel, but the custom ROM loads up the module), but I figured that kind of thing would be odd to do for Android ROMs especially given cvpcs's philosophy of not changing system things when unnecessary.

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
All kernels act differently on different devices/ROMs you just need to find a magic combination that works across the board for you ie: the coolest temps along with the best battery life and performance, it is possible for both of us to have a MotoDroid and be running Sapphire 1.1.1 and Slahyer 1Ghz kernel and while it might work great for you I might have heat and browser close issues

It all just depends, keep looking and when you find something that works, stick with it :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
First thing to note is that I'm using stock FRG22D rooted via MotoCache1's method rather than a custom ROM. I'm currently just trying out different kernels.

I ran the stock kernel at 125-800 for a little bit, and have been running Slayher's 900LV kernel for the past few days. I tried switching to cvpcs's 125-800LV kernel but had a freeze a minute in when I tried to turn on WiFi. Tried to reboot, but then froze up at the lock screen so I went back to Slayher's for the day. I'm assuming this freeze was due to WiFi already being on from the last attempt?

Tonight I tried going to the SV version of that kernel to verify it's not a voltage issue. Things were running fine for a few minutes, but then froze up again when turning on WiFi. Again tried to reboot but was frozen at the lock screen (again assuming because WiFi was already turned on?).

Are there known issues with cvpcs's kernels for Sapphire 1.1.1, or do you guys think it's because I'm trying to run them with stock FRG22D rather than actually installing the Sapphire ROM? I know it's theoretically possible to configure a kernel such that it won't work on a stock ROM (ex: configuring something as a module when the stock OS expects it to be in the kernel, but the custom ROM loads up the module), but I figured that kind of thing would be odd to do for Android ROMs especially given cvpcs's philosophy of not changing system things when unnecessary.

No issues of the type that you describe that I've heard with the kernels - for people running Sapphire.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you want to run stock vs. say, Sapphire? ;)

OP
S

SDraconis

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you want to run stock vs. say, Sapphire? ;)
Just taking things incrementally. I'm not big into themes, just trying to get some better performance with as little battery life hit as possible. It's also a lot easier to swap a kernel than to reconfigure after a wipe and ROM install :).

No issues of the type that you describe that I've heard with the kernels - for people running Sapphire.
I guess I'm in the minority of people, being weird and trying to run a cvpcs kernel without actually using a custom ROM.

OP
S

SDraconis

Reaction score
After toying around a little bit, I actually managed to get this solved by following an odd bit of advice from this post: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cv...eezes-reboots-sapphire-kernel.html#post762789

Basically, I installed one of p3droid's kernels before installing the Sapphire kernel instead of going directly from Slayher's. Now I'm able to turn on WiFi fine and can reboot with WiFi on without freezing. Go figure. Running 125-800LV.

Last edited:

wingdo

Reaction score
After toying around a little bit, I actually managed to get this solved by following an odd bit of advice from this post: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cv...eezes-reboots-sapphire-kernel.html#post762789

Basically, I installed one of p3droid's kernels before installing the Sapphire kernel instead of going directly from Slayher's. Now I'm able to turn on WiFi fine and can reboot with WiFi on without freezing. Go figure. Running 125-800LV.

Wow.

This may stem from Slayher having all modules installed as default as opposed to just those which are truly needed. Perhaps P3 does a better job cleaning this out since you can add only the modules you want to with his so perhaps his kernel does a better job of clearing out old modules. Other than that I've got nothing.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this issue before, I wonder if formatting the boot partition before switching kernels would alleviate the issues.

OP
S

SDraconis

Reaction score
This may stem from Slayher having all modules installed as default as opposed to just those which are truly needed. Perhaps P3 does a better job cleaning this out since you can add only the modules you want to with his so perhaps his kernel does a better job of clearing out old modules. Other than that I've got nothing.
That was my best guess too. I also know that some people were having trouble with Slayher's WiFi module (boot loops), so he posted another one for people to try. The programmer in me had half a mind to dig through the install scripts or do some testing to see what Slayher's kernel might be leaving behind or P3Droid's kernel might be clearing, but I'm lazier than I used to be when tinkering with this stuff :biggrin:.

I figured it's working and I should just post my results in case anyone else hit the same issue.