New to Sapphire - Can't get any Flashlight/Torch to work!

leutbneot

Reaction score
Hey there guys. I finally bugged out on Simply Stunning to try Sapphire, even though I love Chevy and think he might be the smartest man in the world and I love his work. I'm still running his low voltage 7 pin kernel @ 1.2 GHz max, 550 min with the standard "ondemand" governor, but I'm no longer running his ROM - I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with Sapphire 2.02. I tried MIUI recently and didn't really get it - I thought it was a brilliant port and a great demonstration of the versatility of Android, but the way it organized things just didn't jive with my brain.

Anyway, since I installed Sapphire (originally with that new cvpcs 1320 GHz kernal - bad news, caused instant problems, so I went back to Chevy's), everything's been going well, but I can't get any of my LED flashlight programs to work, which is actually turning out to be a surprisingly big problem. I had no idea how much I had come to use that thing. Normally I use TeslaLED because it works well with WidgetLocker, but I've also got MotoTorch and the flashlight that comes with PowerStrip Extended. NOTHING.

Tesla is the only one of those three that even sounds like it's trying to open the shutter. I can hear that little musical "click-click" sound, but then nothing. I should note that the very first time I tried to do this, it worked for about a half a second before turning off. Those kinds of details are usually of help to geniuses on message boards who solve problems such as this.

Any help? Any workarounds? I'm down with just getting a new Torch program if that's all it takes, but I'm curious as to why all these programs would work on every other ROM but then not on Sapphire. Maybe it's the Sapphire ROM / Chevy Kernel combo that's freaking things out?

Anyway, thanks in advance guys. Keep on doing what you do, it amazes me every day.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to use a kernel from the ccroms.net page made for sapphire. Go to the sapphire 2.0.2 release page on ccroms.net and they should be listed per release. I would use 1.1mhz or lower.

Sent from my Droid

ktech11

Reaction score
I use kernels supported by ccroms and can use both torch and droidlight with no problem.
I have noticed it runs better with a clean wipe and install from recovery

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. I'll try a slower kernel and see how it goes.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can also get a shortcut to turn on the led flashlight in the status bar widget power controls. No app needed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I fixed it, but then liquids gingerbread rom came out so now I'm back on the bleeding edge. It's a great rom, btw... Not normally a LFY user, but this gingerbread rom (with the dark black theme, of course, and the 1200 MHz overclocked kernel) is something to behold.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I think we can put a bow on this topic now.

Cheers.

cobra2

Reaction score
Try this in a terminal
'echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/spotlight/brightness'
This will let you know thaqt your leds still work and is a nice work around.

And to turn it off
'echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/spotlight/brightness'

Values can be from 0-255 but DON'T put it higher than 5. I added these commands to an alias for quick execution.

sent from the throne.

tyrion

Reaction score
I am running the black bar version of 2.0.2 that was originally posted in the unofficial builds thread. The flashlight option in the power widget has never worked for me. Does anyone know if this its an issue with the build?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am running the black bar version of 2.0.2 that was originally posted in the unofficial builds thread. The flashlight option in the power widget has never worked for me. Does anyone know if this its an issue with the build?

It was an issue around the time of that build.