Stuck

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
I'm a relative newbie, and after a few months of research and a ton of reading, tonight I decided to jump in and root my X. First, I did the z4root install as described here. Then, using Maderschramm's guide, I downloaded and installed Koush's Bootstrapper and successfully did my first backup. Up to this point, everything was shiny. But after deleting a widget and trying to do a backup restore (again, following Maderschramm's directions to the letter!), it looked like the restore was running fine but then it got stuck on this screen:

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.6
Checking MD5 sums...
Restoring system...
Restoring data...
cache

Nothing's happening -- the bar at the bottom shows no progress. I've been on this screen for an hour. Anyone know how long it should take? And if I've hit a wall, what do I do now?

Thanks in advance.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
It should have definitely finished by now.

First off, why did you try and run a restore just to get your widget back?

I don't see any other option but a battery pull at this point. Not sure if that is the best move but you don't want your battery to die either.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

OP
Amazonfemme

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985

I don't see any other option but a battery pull at this point. Not sure if that is the best move but you don't want your battery to die either.

It was a test, per Maderschramm's recommendation, to see how the backup recovery works. Which, I guess, it didn't.

I've done a battery pull, rebooted, but now everything's like the phone is fresh out of the box. I'm a little freaked out.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

It was a test, per Maderschramm's recommendation, to see how the backup recovery works. Which, I guess, it didn't.

I've done a battery pull, rebooted, but now everything's like the phone is fresh out of the box. I'm a little freaked out.

Well I know for a fact his writeup is very well done and up to date.

Don't freak out. Especially if the phone is like"out of the box." Are you at the little green android that says "tap here to get started?"

t.crawford714

Reaction score
First step--Don't panic

If you get the little green guy, you system resetted, just like you got it from the store. If you don't get that screen then you factory resetted, which is all your user app/info erased.

Sorry for what your phone's been through but I'm sure glad that it wasn't my Z4Root guide.

OP
Amazonfemme

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
I went through the setup, and it sent me right back to the little green android. I went through the setup again, but can't seem to get a launcher to work. I wasn't given the option to select the stock launcher, so I picked LauncherPro (which is what I've been running), but now I keep getting a popup screen telling me that LauncherPro has stopped and to force close. I can't get past it.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went through the setup, and it sent me right back to the little green android. I went through the setup again, but can't seem to get a launcher to work. I wasn't given the option to select the stock launcher, so I picked LauncherPro (which is what I've been running), but now I keep getting a popup screen telling me that LauncherPro has stopped and to force close. I can't get past it.

Reboot, pick the blur/regular launcher, search for Launcher Pro app, uninstall and reinstall.

Or boot into SPR recovery and do a system back to factory wipe.

Last edited:

t.crawford714

Reaction score

Reboot, pick the blur/regular launcher, search for Launcher Pro app, uninstall and reinstall.

SPR?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Amazonfemme

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985

That's the problem: I can't pick the blur/regular launcher. It gives me LauncherPro and ADW as my options (both of which I installed a while back, but I mainly use LauncherPro).

I don't know what booting into SPR recovery means, or how to do it. And once I find out how to do it, does a "system back to factory wipe" mean I lose everything I've downloaded? I'd have to reinstall all my apps?

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

SPR?

SPR is the default recovery, not Clockwork :)

For wiping data/cache and factory resets.

Linux - SPR = Software Problem Report.

Last edited:

t.crawford714

Reaction score

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do you boot into that?
SPR?

SPR is the default recovery, not Clockwork :)

For wiping data/cache and factory resets.

-Power down.

-Hold Home button and Power at same time until the /\/\ comes up.

-Let go of Power button and hold Home until the droid with the /!\ comes up.

-Release home and hit your Search button.