Strange problem need help ASAP

johnnycool001

Reaction score
M wife has a D1 2.2.1 rooted stock. At work thay added softwear to see if anybody is using their network unarithized, it also detects wifi devices. Several of the people their have androrid phones ( another D1, D2 and a Fanissate) and some blackberrys, If they turn on their WIFI it comes up as Verizon on the system. if they turn off wifi no more problem. My wifes phone comes up as the name of her laptop. She can turn off wifi, and bluetooth and it stil shows up. also it shows everytime she makes a call and what number she is calling or called from and how long she is connectted. Again she is the only one. The funny thing is she has never connected her phone to her laptop all the rooting was done on mine. She did recently install dropbox to both ther laptop and her phone. I had her deleate it form the phone but it is still doing it. Any ideas? the softweat that is picking it up is netstumbler 0.4.0

Last edited:

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Only thing I can come up with is if she uses skype or another VOIP service at home, that its connecting while she is at work. Try a factory reset after doing a backup. That may reset any funky settings that cause this. I just read yesterday that it wont affect the root from a reliable member of the forum. Good luck, I'm interested to see what you find out.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
J

johnnycool001

Reaction score
I belive you are right, if not can just reroot if half too. She doesn't use skype

adsfa34

Reaction score
Not sure what's causing it but I can comment on rooting and factory resets:

Factory reset does not un-root your phone. Every time I flash a ROM I wipe data and cache, which is almost mechanically identical to a factory reset, with the exception of the reactivation step from a factory reset (you have to reactivate your phone after a factory reset, but it should be a one-click deal).

Factory resets performed from the settings>privacy menu wipe all data and cache on the phone. Your SDCard will be left in-tact if performed properly, but it's always a safe practice to backup your sdcard just in case.

All apps will be removed from your phone during the reset (Froyo should restore them from the market, but I've seen instances where this hasn't worked). To make a factory reset less cumbersome, you can grab Titanium Backup (free) from the market and do a backup of all apps (Go to Menu>Batch>Backup User Apps) and then once you boot back up after your factory reset you can restore those apps with their app data by downloading Titanium Backup again from the market, turning on Airplane Mode to stop the Froyo auto app restore and restore apps using Titanium Backup (Menu>Batch>Restore All Apps with Data). There are plenty of tutorials on best practices to do this.

Select "data and settings" will be saved via Google cloud servers and re-synced on sign-in.

If you have ClockworkMod Recovery installed (read up before doing this if you haven't) you can also make a full nandroid backup beforehand in case anything goes awry.

OP
J

johnnycool001

Reaction score
factory reset didn't fix it so going to get a CLNR for verizon. can sombody please link me the easy way to get it unrooted. so I can turn it in. thanks.

adsfa34

Reaction score
Also, just so you're aware, it's against their TOS to root your phone, so if Verizon returns to phone to Motorola (which they will to get a refund for faulty equipment) and they find out that your phone was rooted, and you get stuck with a bill, that's 100% on you. That's a personal risk you take by rooting.

Had to be "that guy" to say it.

OP
J

johnnycool001

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Well I have factory reset the phone, unrooted it made it compleatly stock. have deleated the dropbox account, changed the name on the laptop, and put in a new gmail Still shows up. I took my D1 in their, bought the same day, rooted, turned on my wifi 3g, bluetooth and i used it while I has their . didn't pick me up at all, nor does it pick up anybody else . It displays the name of her laptop, her phone number, mac adress and ip, as well as any number she calls or calls her. First the phone shouldn't be brocasting this information for anything to pick up. second the programe picking it up is not something speical it is NetStumbler, that anybody can download for free. The softwear is only suposed to pick up WIFI. Third I don't know how it is brodcasting the laptop name . Her phone has never be pluged into her computer only mine. the only thing that could have put the two together is Dropbox she had that on both the phone and computer, but it is now gone. hope the new phone fixes the issue.