HTC Incredible 2 - How to use GSM in France

jungianboy

Reaction score
Hi,

Trying to help my mom via email. She is in France on vacation. She has a new HTC Incredible 2. Prior to leaving for her trip we went to the Verizon store and they set her up on an international plan. We were told that the phone would automatically detect the GSM network over there.

This did not happen. I remember seeing an option in settings for GSM yet I can't remember what the menu titles were called. Could someone give me a step by step instruction as to how to get on the GSM network over there?

Maybe there is some other "auto" network type setting that is turned off preventing it from recognizing GSM?

Help would be appreciated asap, as she can't seem to find help over there. She's a shrink and her clients out here are in crisis. She needs to call them asap. So you'll get double karma points for helping. Thank you! :icon_ banana:

OP
J

jungianboy

Reaction score
Those Verizon techs at their store sure don't know what they are doing. We were not told of an unlock code nor that we had to unlock the sim. I now know how to instruct my mom how to select the GSM network yet that's not going to do any good with the SIM locked. I guess I need to call Verizon for her to get an unlock code. Yet apparently that seems to be a difficult thing to do and they have no idea what they are doing. oy vey.

Thanks for the link

Last edited:

dhillis

Reaction score
what is the phone number to call and talk to someone that knows the sim unlock code? I can;t get ahold of anyone that knows what I am talking about....and i’ve already called twice.

dhillis

Reaction score
just called back again. I got ahold of a guy that was actually half way helpful and tried to do the right thing. He called tech support then got back on the phone with me and said the phone doesn’t have a sim card!!!!

I took the phone apart and asked why I was holding a microsd card in my left hand and a sim card in my right hand?? He said hold on a sec and called tech support again. Then came back and said I was right but that they don’t unlock the sim for this phone but they will for other phones? I asked y and he said that I could use it on another provider. I responded with I have been with verizon 6 years and done plan on leaving unless they screw this up. He said they have not and will not unlock this phone. AGGGHh

BobB

Reaction score
Use VZW Global

There is a lot of info at: verizonwireless.com/global although some of it is pretty obscure to access, but it will give you dialing codes, etc. The phone number listed there is (800) 922-0204 and I found them quite helpful. If you don't get a knowledgable person there, just call back.

Once you get the SIM unlock code, use: settings, security. disable SIM card lock and enter the code.

To change to GSM network, use: settings, preferred network, GSM/UMTS mode.

When you call VZW, inquire about the international data (vs. phone) roaming charges, as they are high. If you want to disable data roaming, use: settings, wireless& networks, roaming data and uncheck.

To call the U.S. from Europe, use:

+ countrycode areacode phone#
the country code for U.S. is 1
For example, to call (212)555-1212, you would use:
+12125551212

Good luck!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't need to unlock if she's on an international plan. You'd unlock if she wanted to use another carrier's SIM (generally the cheaper option).

The post above mine has the settings she needs to look at if she intends to use her international plan.

Last edited:

Tymone

Reaction score
You can cut the rates by unlocking and use it with the local GSM network. There are many sites providing unlocking codes. I had a personal experience in unlocking my HTC Sensitive phone with TheUnlockSpot.com where their services are good and their services are cheap.

bilofsky

Reaction score
It's a little late to help the OP - but for the record, I bought a French SIM card in Paris. For 30 euro I got unlimited internet and email for a month, so it was really worth it.

But it was a hassle. You buy the card, activate it, wait 48 hours for it to get through the Orange computer system, then turn the data and email options on, and wait another 48 hours. So it only pays if you're there for a while.

Also, the Incredible 2 isn't sold in France, so most of the stores don't know how to set it up. The tech support folks at the Orange store in Place Madeleine finally figured it out; it involved some VPN entries and I don't know what else.

We're going back to France this spring, and the card stays valid for 7 months after the last use, so I'm going to load a few euro back in it and hope to get the same internet service again.