Is my bought-used Droid 2 Global GSM-unlocked?

dvdapex

Reaction score
I bought a used Droid 2 Global off of ebay.
He's a re-seller so he doesn't know the phone's history.
I'm not a Verizon customer (I plan on activating on PagePlus.), so I can't call them for help.
I'm testing this from the US, but I plan on being in the UK and France in a few weeks and would like to determine if this is unlocked before then.

I'm wondering if it's already been GSM-unlocked (not to work with US GSM providers, of course)?

Here's why I'm wondering:
1. If I put in a UK Truphone SIM (I haven't used in a couple of years, but it worked last time I used it) and set the "Network Mode" to "GSM / UMTS", the phone shows "Searching for Service".
2. It doesn't prompt me for an unlock code when I boot up the phone with the SIM in.
3. If it's network is set to "CDMA" when I boot up with the UK Truphone SIM in, it says it detects the SIM and is switching to "Global Mode".

3. I also have a US Truphone SIM card and if that's inserted into the phone when I boot up I get prompted to enter the unlock code.

4. If I have no SIM in and I switch to "Global" or "GSM / UMTS" modes, the phone shows "(No Service No SIM card)"

Based on the information above:
Does it sound like the phone is unlocked and will work fine once I'm in the UK and/or France (when I use the Truphone or a SIM bought in one of those countries)?
Is there some sort of code to read from the phone or something that will tell me if the phone has been unlocked?

TIA

rpdonald

Reaction score
I do believe that you have to call Verizon or Motorola and get the code that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
D

dvdapex

Reaction score
I do believe that you have to call Verizon or Motorola and get the code that way.

What I'm trying to determine is if there is a way to find out via the phone if it's been unlocked. I'm not a Verizon customer, so they will not help me and I've read nothing to indicate that Motorola provides unlock codes or support to determine if the phone is unlocked.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
3. I also have a US Truphone SIM card and if that's inserted into the phone when I boot up I get prompted to enter the unlock code.
If it's not the normal SIM PIN unlock request but rather “SIM network unlock PIN”, your device is locked.

OP
D

dvdapex

Reaction score
If it's not the normal SIM PIN unlock request but rather “SIM network unlock PIN”, your device is locked.

The US Truphone SIM gives "SIM network unlock PIN", but when the UK Truphone SIM is inserted, it doesn't give any message and if I switch the "Network Mode" to I don't get any message upon boot and it just starts searching for service.

Any ideas why one SIM would give "SIM network unlock PIN" and the other wouldn't?

OP
D

dvdapex

Reaction score
I put the SIM in that gave the "SIM network unlock PIN" message, bought an unlock code, entered it and got "network unlock successful", so it was definately locked (although I'm still not sure why the one gave the message and the other didn't).

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Maybe that UK Truphone carrier is an MVNO using Vodafone NL's network?

Or maybe there are issues with the SIM itself.

duxdad

Reaction score
Unlock Code

Find someone with a Verizon smartphone account in good standing. Activate it obn their line then call verizon global and ask for the unlocke code. After switch back