Stock Motoblur ICS for droid4

ws6formula350

Reaction score
I have always wondered... when exactly did the, "I has moar free memories, my fone/computar is fastar!!1!!" legend appear/originate?

It would be interesting to trace its heritage.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

moccor

Reaction score
I have always wondered... when exactly did the, "I has moar free memories, my fone/computar is fastar!!1!!" legend appear/originate?

It would be interesting to trace its heritage.

I have always wondered, why do trolls think they're funny. Nobody was having a competition, we were talking about our experience on this ROM.

4low4fun

Reaction score
Nothing kills a thread like somebody trying to talk smack..

Anywho.. what apps are not ics friendly? I haven't run across any of my day to day apps that ics didn't like but it would be nice to have a list of what to avoid for a few months

nowell29

Reaction score
Ironically, I think the dev community was the first to embrace ICS, followed by users, and unfortunately last are the carriers.

I have yet to find any of my main apps that don't run on ICS, unless they were made specifically for GB like a themer.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

ghostlobster

Reaction score
Sanity Check time...I've been avoiding (painfully, I might add) putting ICS in place as I don't want to get pulled off of the update path, and there seemed to be no way of reverting back to Gingerbread if something went haywire on me. Now, with Safestrap 2.0 being out, I'm giving serious consideration to jumping on in. Here is the process I believe i need to follow, given the following conditions and requirements:
1 - My standard stock Gingerberad Droid 4 is currently unrooted.
2 - I will need the ability to jump back to stock, unrooted, just in case.
3 - When the OTA ICS is released, I will need the ability to jump back to stock gingerbread to get this update.
4 - I completely understand that there are a multitude of things cat can go wrong, and that none of the above conditions are guaranteed. All positive responses are based solely on theory.

Downloads:
Safestrap 2.0
Droid 4 Utility
ICS 206

OK...so, here's whwat I THINK I need to do:
1 - Root my phone using Droid 4 Utility here.
2 - Install the Safestrap .apk from here.
3 - Place the Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip file on my sd card.
4 - Follow the Safestrap docs here, adjusting according to the new behavior of version 2.0 of Saestrap, and make a backup of my current phone, as it is, including webtop.
5 - Use Safestrap 2.0 to install the above .zip file to the Safe partition.
6 - Reboot, and ICS is looking happily at me.

Now, to recover back to Gingerbread...I am under the impression that rebooting the phone, going into the Safestrap menus and selecting recover, then the stock backup I created will bring me back to stock Gingerbread. Then it's just a matter of using the utility to unroot my phone, if required.

Am I way off base here? Are there any critical steps I'm missing? Thanks!

jeffcicale

Reaction score
ghostlobster said:
Sanity Check time...I've been avoiding (painfully, I might add) putting ICS in place as I don't want to get pulled off of the update path, and there seemed to be no way of reverting back to Gingerbread if something went haywire on me. Now, with Safestrap 2.0 being out, I'm giving serious consideration to jumping on in. Here is the process I believe i need to follow, given the following conditions and requirements:
3 - When the OTA ICS is released, I will need the ability to jump back to stock gingerbread to get this update.
4 - I completely understand that there are a multitude of things cat can go wrong, and that none of the above conditions are guaranteed. All positive responses are based solely on theory.

Downloads:
Safestrap 2.0
Droid 4 Utility
ICS 206

4 - Follow the Safestrap docs here, adjusting according to the new behavior of version 2.0 of Saestrap, and make a backup of my current phone, as it is, including webtop.

Now, to recover back to Gingerbread...I am under the impression that rebooting the phone, going into the Safestrap menus and selecting recover, then the stock backup I created will bring me back to stock Gingerbread. Then it's just a matter of using the utility to unroot my phone, if required.

From what I have read you cannot go back to gingerbread once you have upgraded to ICS. I didn't install safestrap at all. I just skipped step 1 because I was on a rooted stock rom that was not modified.

ghostlobster

Reaction score
From what I have read you cannot go back to gingerbread once you have upgraded to ICS. I didn't install safestrap at all. I just skipped step 1 because I was on a rooted stock rom that was not modified.

My understanding was that this was the case up until safestrap 2 came out yesterday. That's the clarification i'm looking for.

ws6formula350

Reaction score
My understanding was that this was the case up until safestrap 2 came out yesterday. That's the clarification i'm looking for.

You can't roll back to a GB based rom because the update flashes a new kernel. Your nandroid backup that you make with Safestrap can't flash the kernel, that can only be done with a factory signed updated from Motorola through Fastboot/stock recovery because of our locked bootloader.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Slightly off base but enough.

You can NOT flash the ICS leak with anything other than a stock system and the stock recovery (though you can be rooted).

Safestrap 2.0 is for those who HAVE flashed the ICS leak already, allowing them to soon be able to flash a version of CM9/ICS that includes all the leaked ICS proprietaries that work with the new kernel they are running....which they got when they flashed the leaked ICS on their stock phone.

Safestrap 1.09 (or whatever) is for current phones running official software, allowing them to (for the most part) leave their stock system untouched. Safestrap 2.0 is for those who have flash the leaked ICS and want to keep it "safe" and flash new versions of CM9/AOKP/etc...that are developed for ICS phones.

Downloads:
Safestrap 2.0
Droid 4 Utility
ICS 206

kenji91

Reaction score
Slightly off base but enough.

You can NOT flash the ICS leak with anything other than a stock system and the stock recovery (though you can be rooted).

Safestrap 2.0 is for those who HAVE flashed the ICS leak already, allowing them to soon be able to flash a version of CM9/ICS that includes all the leaked ICS proprietaries that work with the new kernel they are running....which they got when they flashed the leaked ICS on their stock phone.

Safestrap 1.09 (or whatever) is for current phones running official software, allowing them to (for the most part) leave their stock system untouched. Safestrap 2.0 is for those who have flash the leaked ICS and want to keep it "safe" and flash new versions of CM9/AOKP/etc...that are developed for ICS phones.

I was itching to upgrade to ICS and I thought I'd be satisfied with running the stock leaked version and now I find myself itching to install a safe side ROM. I might have a problem. :biggrin: