[Rom-Stock] Motoblur 6.16.206 (Ics Leak) For Safestrap [2012-06-17]

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.hash-of-codes.blogspot.com
What is this!?
This is a stock version of MotoBlur 6.16.206 -- setup as a flashable ROM for Safestrap (v2.00)

NOTE: I know this is for .206 and we're already looking at .208. I'll get it updated here in a bit. It took a while to set this first one up.

Why would you want this?
- Chances are you won't use this at all. This is mostly for devs who want to start modding the stock ROM.
- In theory, you can install just the ROM update via Safestrap as each ICS leak hits and not worry about flashing the full OTA. (This seems to be working for RAZR folks running the original .79 leak and newer versions of their MotoICS ROM via Safestrap). No guarantees that this will continue to be the case tho.

What do I need to have installed to run this?
- You must be on one of the MotoICS leaks for the Droid 4 (.200/.206/.208)
- Rooted
- Busybox (may need to use the busybox updater from the Market for one that is compatible w/ Safestrap, and correctly installed)
- Safestrap v2.00 for the ICS Leak

The only changes from stock are:
- I took the liberty of disabling "Qe" which logs all of the differences in the current OS compared to how it comes from Motorola. It's a lag monster on the bootup, and an invasion of privacy.
- Pre-rooted with su binary
- Updated busybox and symlinks in /system/xbin
- Configured for use w/ Safestrap
- Added Superuser.apk (2012-06-17)

Download from ROMBOT
md5sum: e0b73a8b299ef93da4ac9d9c2329d945

Enjoy!

Last edited:

r314bd

Reaction score
Thanks Hashcode, you rock.
I took the liberty of disabling "Qe" which logs all of the differences in the current OS compared to how it comes from Motorola. It's a lag monster on the bootup, and an invasion of privacy.
Can you tell us a bit more about this? Doesn't sound like something anyone would want. Can I disable this in the stock ROM? Perhaps another Carrier IQ debacle is in order.

OP
Hashcode

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Hashcode, you rock.

Can you tell us a bit more about this? Doesn't sound like something anyone would want. Can I disable this in the stock ROM? Perhaps another Carrier IQ debacle is in order.

I first noticed it in the RAZR and Droid 4 GB ROMs. The process "qe" is started during the initial boot services. It does a full scan of the /system dir and stores the md5 of every file. It then compares that information to a file in /pds which contains the md5sum file listing of the stock ROM as it was originally from Motorola.
As it diffs the 2 listings, any differences are placed in /data/misc/qer and eventually posted back to Motorola.

You can see the report on any stock phone by looking in there.

There is no way to disable it in the regular phone ROM without using a 2nd init process to change the ramdisk files as the binary "qe" is in /sbin and the service is started in the init.*.rc files.

I'm sure that Moto would play it off as "virus protection".

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

bofis

Reaction score
So does this mean that the stock gb rom on droid4's and also custom roms based off it, like maybe Eclipse, still have this service running on boot?? :-/

kenji91

Reaction score
is there a way to disable Qe without reflashing the leak? i dont want to re-do every setting again. :)

Garlick

Reaction score
is there a way to disable Qe without reflashing the leak? i dont want to re-do every setting again. :)

Yes, but you'll need to re-program your init.*.rc files to not start up the QE programs on initial boot, which if you don't know what you're doing with coding, is basically impossible, or VERY risky...

If you want to save all your settings, use a back up program to back up all your settings and run a restore once you install the new leak.

I use Titanium back up, and I never loose my settings when going from one ICS build to the next.

kenji91

Reaction score
Yes, but you'll need to re-program your init.*.rc files to not start up the QE programs on initial boot, which if you don't know what you're doing with coding, is basically impossible, or VERY risky...

If you want to save all your settings, use a back up program to back up all your settings and run a restore once you install the new leak.

I use Titanium back up, and I never loose my settings when going from one ICS build to the next.

I also have important addresses saved in locked SMS messages using Handcent. I'd rather not lose those. Would a TiBu backup backup EVERYTHING like that?

Garlick

Reaction score
I also have important addresses saved in locked SMS messages using Handcent. I'd rather not lose those. Would a TiBu backup backup EVERYTHING like that?

Yes. It does for me every time.

You just have to make sure you run the back up to your external SD card, and then restore from that back up specifically.

I just ran the process now, and didn't lose a thing.

kenji91

Reaction score
Yes. It does for me every time.

You just have to make sure you run the back up to your external SD card, and then restore from that back up specifically.

I just ran the process now, and didn't lose a thing.

Well then I'll just wait for .208 and then go for it. dancedroid

Garlick

Reaction score
So my wife and I both have droid 4's, mine is on. 206 rooted, with safestrap 2.0, and I was able to instal this leak without an issue on my safe system, everything booted fine on the first try.

My wife's phone had been running AOKP up until today, but due to data issues getting to be too much, I decided the leaks would be better, so I upgraded her to. 211 rooted with safestrap 2.0 installed, and toggled safe system and ran this install on the safe side, and now I'm in a bootloop. I toggled back to the non-safe system, and am going to leave it there for now, but Hash if you have a suggestion, I am all ears, as I would rather we're on the same setup so I can trouble shoot with her more easily.

Thanks!

OP
Hashcode

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
So there's a key difference in that she's running .211 and has this .206 ROM on her Safe system.. while you're on .206 and have .206 running on the Safe system.

I'll be putting up a .211 ROM here in a bit and maybe you can try it again on her phone.