[ROM] [NIGHTLY] UNOFFICIAL CM9/ICS For Droid 4 For MotoICS Leak

MadDogFooker

Reaction score
"kexec is a system call that enables you to load and boot into another kernel from the currently running kernel. kexec performs the function of the boot loader from within the kernel. The primary difference between a standard system boot and a kexec boot is that the hardware initialization normally performed by the BIOS or firmware (depending on architecture) is not performed during a kexec boot. This has the effect of reducing the time required for a reboot."

Ok, this is what I found on the net. kexec is a linux kernel that will boot over the current kernel allowing faster boot time because it skips bootloader and BIOS instructions. So I take it that kexec is just going to be added into the current ICS-moto rom. kexec will boot over that kernel and the phone should start u faster. I take it this will help developers because of not having to wait forever after each reboot.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
"kexec is a system call that enables you to load and boot into another kernel from the currently running kernel. kexec performs the function of the boot loader from within the kernel. The primary difference between a standard system boot and a kexec boot is that the hardware initialization normally performed by the BIOS or firmware (depending on architecture) is not performed during a kexec boot. This has the effect of reducing the time required for a reboot."

Ok, this is what I found on the net. kexec is a linux kernel that will boot over the current kernel allowing faster boot time because it skips bootloader and BIOS instructions. So I take it that kexec is just going to be added into the current ICS-moto rom. kexec will boot over that kernel and the phone should start u faster. I take it this will help developers because of not having to wait forever after each reboot.

No it will help users after developers build ROMs based on newer kernels since kexec is allowing to boot a new kernel after the initial kernel boot of the device.

Stock kernel is 2.6.xxx, kexec boot a 3.0.x kernel, etc.. So devices "stuck" on an older version of the OS with locked bootloaders and not getting upgraded officially have the ability to boot newer kernels that have the support for the newer OS functions.

Currently the ICS leaks are required because Hashcode has coded the kexec boot in to the new Safestrap 2.0.1. He could recode SafeStrap 1.08 (or whatever is current for Droid 4 GB) to boot the ICS or JB kernel on the safe side and you wouldn't even need to install the ICS leak to get full ICS hardware support...

Ie.....still on GB .219 stock build, Safestrap boot a kexec stock .217 ICS leak on the safe side. Of course this isn't possible now.....Hash would have to build a SafeStrap for stock GB to boot kexec and build a stock .217 ICS rom.

So the phone boots...all the signature checks are done on the bootloader/kernel/etc.. and then kexec boots a developer built kernel and OS... Lots of possibilities.....

Cstryon

Reaction score
No it will help users after developers build ROMs based on newer kernels since kexec is allowing to boot a new kernel after the initial kernel boot of the device.

Stock kernel is 2.6.xxx, kexec boot a 3.0.x kernel, etc.. So devices "stuck" on an older version of the OS with locked bootloaders and not getting upgraded officially have the ability to boot newer kernels that have the support for the newer OS functions.

Currently the ICS leaks are required because Hashcode has coded the kexec boot in to the new Safestrap 2.0.1. He could recode SafeStrap 1.08 (or whatever is current for Droid 4 GB) to boot the ICS or JB kernel on the safe side and you wouldn't even need to install the ICS leak to get full ICS hardware support...

Ie.....still on GB .219 stock build, Safestrap boot a kexec stock .217 ICS leak on the safe side. Of course this isn't possible now.....Hash would have to build a SafeStrap for stock GB to boot kexec and build a stock .217 ICS rom.

So the phone boots...all the signature checks are done on the bootloader/kernel/etc.. and then kexec boots a developer built kernel and OS... Lots of possibilities.....

Has anything been done with kexec? Any overclocking kernels or roms built on a custom kernel yet?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Hashcode is working on it. Getting a 3.x.x kernel that works across the Droid series (Droid Bionic/Razr/4/3) and then building the CM9/10 on top of that..

Cstryon

Reaction score
Hashcode is working on it. Getting a 3.x.x kernel that works across the Droid series (Droid Bionic/Razr/4/3) and then building the CM9/10 on top of that..

Sweet! Thanks hashcode!

kwood129

Reaction score
Im not sure if im missing something but ive tried the download link and all i get is a godaddy parking page. Is it down?

Nevermind I found the other forum post regarding this.

Last edited:

kwood129

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues installing the 7-25 build? I've installed it several times and can't seem to get it to install. I've successfully installed the 7-23 build and eclipse. When I install the 7-25 I only get the black screen after the safestrap screen. I left it on there for hours last night without any boot. This build was my first try after installing safestrap so there wasn't any issues with an older install. Any suggestions?

thelolotov

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues installing the 7-25 build? I've installed it several times and can't seem to get it to install. I've successfully installed the 7-23 build and eclipse. When I install the 7-25 I only get the black screen after the safestrap screen. I left it on there for hours last night without any boot. This build was my first try after installing safestrap so there wasn't any issues with an older install. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem. Stuck on whatever the last build was, for now, just glad I made a backup before installing this.

Cstryon

Reaction score
So if anyone wants to try the latest leak and report battery life? I'm on eclipse now cause my battery life on cm9 was short. But I sure do miss cm9!

Last edited: