Standalone GPS Not Working

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
I'm having GPS problems. First, I'm not sure what the difference is other than it doesn't seem as accurate but the google location services work fine. However when I just have the standalone location services turned on, it doesn't work. The Sense clock widget doesn't get location data, nor does maps.

I've read some threads and started up maps and left it alone for 25 minutes now and still no location. The status bar has the satellite on it saying it's trying to get location though. Does it sometimes take over 30 minutes for this to initialize? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help

TinGodz

Reaction score
Are you inside? To use GPS, you need to be outside (with a clear shot of the sky). Otherwise the GPS satellites in space aren't going to reach you. Other than that, I'm not sure, so perhaps someone else can add some input.

OP
Viper Daimao

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
ack, I feel stupid now, but yes, I was in a big cement building. My only GPS experience is with the iphone and it doesn't tell you what it's using to locate you so I guess I had never noticed it not being as accurate indoors. I'm guessing that the verizon location services are cell tower triangulation, google services are ip based? and the standalone is the actual satellite.

Thanks for your help, it worked quickly when I stepped outside.

mualexander

Reaction score
Standalone GPS really not working?

Hey there,

So I got my wife a Thunderbolt on launch day and we've loved it, but she just asked me tonight why foursquare never gets her location right and why her time switches to someplace 10 hours off from us when she turns on her phone.

I looked at it, confirmed the location oddity (turned on the phone and it said some location like "Der Salaam" or something) and went to troubleshooting. In Settings -> Location, I turned off Verizon and Google, just left on standalone GPS, then went outside.

After being outside for 10 minutes, it had no location (when I had Google location service on, it placed the phone on the map even if it was a mile and a half away).

So my question is whether or not there is any other place that I need to enable GPS (or else I assume we just have a bum GPS receiver).

Thanks,
-marshall

motty69

Reaction score
I've had no GPS problems, I even get an accurate location in my living room. But it won't pick up inside at work.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

MrKleen

Reaction score
I had gps issues the other day also. I was also having issues with my data connection.

After I made the temporary fix for the network my gps worked fine.

Verizon has been having some issues with their network.

smaxwells

Reaction score
There is a problem with GPS based location services on the HTC Thunderbolt. My unit takes 5-20 minutes to find itself outside. My HTC Evo (same basic phone) only took about 30 seconds to find itself suggesting it is not user error. Both phones configured the same.

Conversation with Verizon/HTC said it is a known firmware problem that should be fixed in the next release.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
There is a problem with GPS based location services on the HTC Thunderbolt. My unit takes 5-20 minutes to find itself outside. My HTC Evo (same basic phone) only took about 30 seconds to find itself suggesting it is not user error. Both phones configured the same.

Conversation with Verizon/HTC said it is a known firmware problem that should be fixed in the next release.

well let's hope "the next release" isn't the leaked version I am trying b/c i get nothing with just standalone GPS and with vzw services i get nothing... with google services it's hit and miss right now it's spot on but it's normally only within a couple miles which is no good for navigation..:icon_eek:

to me it seems as though the GPS standalone does nothing... and it has been the same on both the stock firmware and the leaked one..

and you don't "have" to be outside my OG Droid, Droid 2, and Droid X found me spot on in my house, malls, pretty much anywhere.. this seems to be an HTC problem

shadowmind

Reaction score
I bought a Thunderbolt yesterday and promptly returned it within 30 minutes. I also was getting the GPS sync issue. GPS was spinning for 20 minutes. I even downloaded GPS Status, it found all the satellites in the area, yet even after a full reboot, GPS was still spinning looking for a lock. Ohh yes, and with 20 minutes of trying to find a signal, the battery went from 100% to 10%.

Now get this... Verizon is pushing their VZ Navigator, for a monthly fee of $15 a month. Turn that on, and whalla, no syncing issues. I went back the store and questioned why. Both sales rep and manager said they've been directed to only use the VZ navigator, and suggest to all customers to do the same to fix GPS issues.

Conspiracy? or Smart company making more $$ off frustrated users?

Needless to say, I don't own a Droid anymore. Which is a shame, I am having a hell of a time migrating to the iPhone from my incredible. The iPhone sucks major nuts, but at least it's GPS gets an instant lock every time.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I bought a Thunderbolt yesterday and promptly returned it within 30 minutes. I also was getting the GPS sync issue. GPS was spinning for 20 minutes. I even downloaded GPS Status, it found all the satellites in the area, yet even after a full reboot, GPS was still spinning looking for a lock. Ohh yes, and with 20 minutes of trying to find a signal, the battery went from 100% to 10%.

Now get this... Verizon is pushing their VZ Navigator, for a monthly fee of $15 a month. Turn that on, and whalla, no syncing issues. I went back the store and questioned why. Both sales rep and manager said they've been directed to only use the VZ navigator, and suggest to all customers to do the same to fix GPS issues.

Conspiracy? or Smart company making more $$ off frustrated users?

Needless to say, I don't own a Droid anymore. Which is a shame, I am having a hell of a time migrating to the iPhone from my incredible. The iPhone sucks major nuts, but at least it's GPS gets an instant lock every time.

My friend bought a Verizon IPhone and returned it for the T-bolt. Here's why...

Verizon has a widespread problem with their iPhones frequently losing service completely. Half the time she couldn't even make phone calls. We went online to see if there was an easy fix and found it is widespread. Replacing the phone doesn't help since they all do it.

She was very upset because she really wanted the iPhone. I am sure Verizon will fix it at some point but who knows when. Do a search for Verizon iPhones losing service.

chubby22

Reaction score
I was having the same issue yesterday with GPS signal... But as of today, it's been able to lock on within a few seconds...

calemr

Reaction score
Having terrible time locking on to gps. If i turn of google services I get nothing. Just did the OTA update and no help. This is absurd. (Yes I was outside, no its not even cloudy, yes I tried w/ and w/ out the wifi.

p.s. I didnt have this problem a week or two ago, it just popped up!

kparks

Reaction score
Having terrible time locking on to gps. If i turn of google services I get nothing. Just did the OTA update and no help. This is absurd. (Yes I was outside, no its not even cloudy, yes I tried w/ and w/ out the wifi.

p.s. I didnt have this problem a week or two ago, it just popped up!

Same problem also having data problems having tried gps after update but still have data problems Idk..... Wish I just stuck with Sprint at the moment.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Reaction score
here is how to install GOS status & tool box on to the phone

Try installing GPS status and tool box, I had problems too and they seem to be solved by using this other app to run the GPS on the phone

Instructions to fix Thunderbolt: Install GPS Status from the market, then: Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Reset Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Download

So far so good for me, I have been majorly frustrated with verizon over this issue.

zertsman

Reaction score
We havent had it for weeks in east texas.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums