Help razr ics Gps-Navigation- etc.

helron

Reaction score
Since ICS having problem with Location Settings. I set mt GPS via home screen Widget
Pls advise which option is best selection for navigation/directions.
I discovered WAZE and it worksmgreatnon friends IPhone, but having issues on my Razr.

I need help for which of these to,use for Google Map navigation:
Google Location Services
Standalone GPS
VZW LOCATION Services
Location and Google Search

Thanks.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Since ICS having problem with Location Settings. I set mt GPS via home screen Widget
I discovered WAZE and it worksmgreatnon friends IPhone, but having issues on my Razr.

Google Location Services
Standalone GPS
VZW LOCATION Services

Thanks.

I use the stand alone GPS for navigation, and I've had 0 problems.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Google Location Services
Standalone GPS
VZW LOCATION Services

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but leaving all of those on will help with Google Navigation. Google Location Service and Standalone GPS are the two most important. VZW Location Services will help maintain quicker and more accurate locks because it will use the cellular network along with GPS satellites.

Google Navigation is by far the best navigation app on Android. There's really no need to use anything else unless you need something specific, like hiking maps, or large sets of offline maps.

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
Thanks for both responses. However when I select standalone service or Google Location service I no longer see a GPS icon on my phone. Prior to ICS, Icon was there.

What is actual difference between Standalone service or Google location services?
I thought VZ location service was fee based? Yes, no?

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
Just received this...
"1. VZW Location Services: *Uses Verizon cell towers to triangulate your position, pretty accurate. *I don't think it uses additional batteries, because it's relying on the cell signal.
2. GPS: *Uses GPS satellites, should be most accurate but in my experience isn't very reliable unless you're outside. *Eats up batteries, because you're turning on a separate component in the phone.[SUP][/SUP]
3. Google Location Services: *Uses a combination of IP address and wi-fi access points to determine your location. *Least accurate, but usually reasonably close, and doesn't require any additional battery use. Google location is great!"

However, now i am not sure if VZW location services is free or not? I know VZ Navigator is fee based, but unsure if VZ location service is free. Or, which is best based on battery drain and connectivity?

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Thanks for both responses. However when I select standalone service or Google Location service I no longer see a GPS icon on my phone. Prior to ICS, Icon was there.

What is actual difference between Standalone service or Google location services?
I thought VZ location service was fee based? Yes, no?

It doesn't show up on my screen either until I hit Navigation, then it shows in the top left hand side.

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
I think that's pretty odd. That's telling me that we can have GPS enabled, and draining the battery , but we wouldnt know that Gps was active. Do I make sense? LOL

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Vz location services staying on costs you nothing. No fee. Leave it on
GPS is only "on" and using battery when you use an app that calls for it such as maps. The rest of the time it's on "standby". I leave google, vz location, and gps on all the time. I rarely use maps, location, etc. No noticeable hit on my battery.
Try leaving gps on for a week, the leave it off for a week and see what you think. Hope this helps :)

jaseman

Reaction score
Vz location services staying on costs you nothing. No fee. Leave it on
GPS is only "on" and using battery when you use an app that calls for it such as maps. The rest of the time it's on "standby". I leave google, vz location, and gps on all the time. I rarely use maps, location, etc. No noticeable hit on my battery.
Try leaving gps on for a week, the leave it off for a week and see what you think. Hope this helps :)

I agree that the only time the GPS hardware actually turns on is when some app needs it. That is why the icon in the notification bar only shows up when you use navigation or maps. So I believe that turning GPS on puts it in standby mode. It may be using a very small amount of power but then when you need it for a map or navigation it locks on to your position much faster. My $0.02:biggrin: