Can someone explain all these GPS options?

PaulQ

Reaction score
I am trying to determine which of these GPS options I should leave on. Do I have this right...

"Standalone GPS Services" - Leave on for anything other than Google and Verizon?

"VZW Location Services" - Leave on for VZ-Navigator and Mobile Recovery?

"Google Location Services" - Leave on for anything Google like Google Maps?

Anything that should be left on for the average user's daily use of the phone?

Thanks for clarifying...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I always have all of them on...No reason to have them off.

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
No battery issues?

Privacy issues? (I know that's relative)

harrellj

Reaction score
The nice thing about the phone, the only time GPS is accessed is if an app requests it (to update location for weather apps, for automation apps like locale/tasker/etc or even for reminder apps). Otherwise, its battery use is minimal.

As for privacy issues, there are apps that use your GPS to let you connect to friends (Latitude and Glympse are the ones I'm thinking of), but as for more official tracking, generally that requires a search warrant. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to send a bit of code to the phone to enable GPS to allow that sort of search anyways.

Last edited:
OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
The nice thing about the phone, the only time GPS is accessed is if an app requests it (to update location for weather apps, for automation apps like locale/tasker/etc or even for reminder apps). Otherwise, its battery use is minimal.

As for privacy issues, there are apps that use your GPS to let you connect to friends (Latitude and Glympse are the ones I'm thinking of), but as for more official tracking, generally that requires a search warrant. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to send a bit of code to the phone to enable GPS to allow that sort of search anyways.

Very helpful. Thank you! I'll just leave it all on. Go ahead, Big Brother, make my day! :)

harrellj

Reaction score
No problem. You can leave the GPS off and then use an app like Tasker to turn it on whenever you launch any of those apps (and turn it off when closing the apps), but I felt like that was going a bit overboard.